Home

EA lets make NCAA 14 backwards compatible

This is a discussion on EA lets make NCAA 14 backwards compatible within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: EA lets make NCAA 14 backwards compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrmay2113
I know EA got sued for player likeness, but were there any specific player images used in NCAA 14? If there are specific models in the game that resemble any real person, they can be swapped out for someone with random facial features. It also puzzles me why the servers for 14 have lasted this long if selling the game was a problem in the first place. Maybe the player base for 14 is so small now that they don't consider it a big deal if they stay up, kind of an under the radar kind of thing.

Though that's the least of their headaches for making this game backwards compatible because they'd have to reacquire the individual schools as well as the NCAA, right? You'd think it would be easy to just go back to the old NCAA Football days when player resemblance was nowhere near accurate. Though the NCAA probably considers skin color and jersey numbers close enough. I'm not the NCAA, so I can't assume on their behalf. Just my guess.

While I certainly wouldn't mind playing this on my Ps4 because I know my 360 won't last forever, I don't see it happening. EA has to repair their relationship with the NCAA first. Though with Madden 20 having colleges in it, maybe they're on that path right now.
There's over 9,000 different specific uses of EA using a person's likeness in NCAA 14. We'll get a new NCAA game long before it's ever likely possible of this game being backwards compatible. People need to realize there is nothing in it for EA or anyone else involved to make this game backwards compatible.

Hold out hope that the series returns. At least that actually could happen one day.

― Plato
Old 07-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #18
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

This is why I still have my OG fat PS3 still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 07-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
There's over 9,000 different specific uses of EA using a person's likeness in NCAA 14. We'll get a new NCAA game long before it's ever likely possible of this game being backwards compatible. People need to realize there is nothing in it for EA or anyone else involved to make this game backwards compatible.

Hold out hope that the series returns. At least that actually could happen one day.

I’m being hopeful EA will make NCAA 14 backwards compatible. I think there is still a chance. Not many people are happy with EA now but if they made game backwards compatible than it might make lots of fans happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #20
Rookie

Micrmay2113's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

Ok that makes sense. I didn't know the specifics about likenesses being used in NCAA 14, so I just wanted to know. Thanks for the information!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #21
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
This is why I still have my OG fat PS3 still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree...don't know why people don't hang on to their old gaming systems. I guess it is just the day and age we live in today...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2020, 02:53 AM   #22
Rookie

The way backwards compatibility works on Xbox One is that a new version of the 360 game is created and stored on Xbox servers that can be emulated on the One. When you put in a 360 disk in an Xbox One for the first time, the Xbox downloads this new version of the game from the servers and runs that game. Every time after that the 360 disk triggers the Xbox to run the downloaded emulated game as opposed to running the game from the disk.

I am not sure if Xbox would want to spend the man hours plus service space for a game that has licensing issues. Every backwards compatible game is available to purchase on the Xbox store digitally. That is how Microsoft recoups some of the money it takes to make it backwards compatible. That obviously wouldn’t be possible for NCAA 14. There’s no way for Microsoft (or EA for that matter) to make money off a backwards compatible NCAA 14.

I wish it could be backwards compatible but unless Microsoft decides they don’t care about the money and are they ok with potentially opening themselves up to a lawsuit I’m sure they’re going to leave it alone. The emulated version of the game could be considered a “new version” which could also lead to a renewed lawsuit against EA Sports, so EA likely doesn’t want them to make it backwards compatible as well.

The whole thing is a mess.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #23
Rookie

Micrmay2113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisestate19
The way backwards compatibility works on Xbox One is that a new version of the 360 game is created and stored on Xbox servers that can be emulated on the One. When you put in a 360 disk in an Xbox One for the first time, the Xbox downloads this new version of the game from the servers and runs that game. Every time after that the 360 disk triggers the Xbox to run the downloaded emulated game as opposed to running the game from the disk.

I am not sure if Xbox would want to spend the man hours plus service space for a game that has licensing issues. Every backwards compatible game is available to purchase on the Xbox store digitally. That is how Microsoft recoups some of the money it takes to make it backwards compatible. That obviously wouldn’t be possible for NCAA 14. There’s no way for Microsoft (or EA for that matter) to make money off a backwards compatible NCAA 14.

I wish it could be backwards compatible but unless Microsoft decides they don’t care about the money and are they ok with potentially opening themselves up to a lawsuit I’m sure they’re going to leave it alone. The emulated version of the game could be considered a “new version” which could also lead to a renewed lawsuit against EA Sports, so EA likely doesn’t want them to make it backwards compatible as well.

The whole thing is a mess.
Yeah the issue really lies in how Microsoft decided to go about backwards compatibility. Gone are the Ps2 days where you could just pop in a Ps1 disc and it would still work. Even the Xbox 360 wasn't backwards compatible with every original Xbox game. NCAA Football 06 for example is the only Xbox NCAA game that works on the 360. They build their architecture without backwards compatibility in mind and then see the demand for it and work it in, only now they have to make a dime off of everything they do.

Sony's even worse. You can forget about putting Ps3 or Ps2 discs in your Ps4 period. You either have to buy a remake, remaster, or use Ps Now.

Hold onto your Ps3s and Xbox 360s. Hell, buy a backup system if you can. I have the old 360 model, and I worry every day that it will red ring. I'll eventually get around to getting a slim model.

Our best bet at this point is to hope that Ps3 and 360 emulators develop nicely in the next 10 years. Preserving old games is becoming a thing of the past for these companies, unfortunately.

Last edited by Micrmay2113; 07-15-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

PS3 and 360 emulators are already a thing. The PS3 emulator can run NCAA 14 fine. I think that is how a decent number of OS'rs play the game anymore, myself included.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »