Home

How will COVID-19 affect production?

This is a discussion on How will COVID-19 affect production? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
How will COVID-19 affect production?

I was initially skeptical to the idea that games would be thrown into development standstills since I hadn't heard anything of the sort. Heck, I even heard at one point that the PS5's release date wouldn't be affected by it.

But now that TLOU 2 is delayed and this game is in its very infantile development stages, how badly do you think that this sort of title will be affected compared to others?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: How will COVID-19 affect production?

It’s hard to say. Even if they are in place to still get the game done, the state of our economy and status of pro sports will have to affect all sports games.

On the one hand, they are an escape people crave. On the other, I don’t think we see pro sports re-launching until 2022. How many sales do they lose because the lack of games means a lack of attention among the bulk of annual customers.

Now, this could drive game makers to move from more casual focus, to something more hardcore and sim. The casuals drive sales, but may be on the sidelines.

Overall, I think there are too many variabilities. Right now people are still acting like the world will go back to normal when this breaks. I don’t see how.

We hit 10 million unemployment claims over the last two weeks, with 2/3 coming this week. When this breaks, we may not see pro sports for a decade, with a public hammered by the virus and a new nervousness about being in crowds.

So many things are going to be different, culturally and economically that speculating isn’t going to get us far. No one will be even able to agree on what life will be like in 18 months.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 04-03-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
Banned

Did I go too dark?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Did I go too dark?
Only the bit about sports being out for two years. I'm hopeful this thing doesn't last THAT long.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

If pro sports can't return until 2022 it means we have much, much bigger problems to worry about, like "the fall of society" problems. Based on the news/development of quick testing and vaccines I don't think we'll go 24 months without pro sports. They may not have live fans but the games will be happening. I don't think any professional league can survive two years with no revenue. Billions--even trillions if you're looking far enough out--are at stake; these leagues will figure it out even if even it's shipping all teams to Antarctica to play games.

I am skeptical about the NFL starting on time and playing a full season but I expect the 2021 sports calendar year to be normal.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #6
Banned

Well, I do think we are facing much bigger issues that getting sports going. We had 10 million unemployment claims over the last 2 weeks. To show how historic that is:

We’re facing a pandemic with health insurance tied to employment. We are also losing doctors, nurse, policeman, and grocery workers at a record pace.

And scientists are predicting an above average hurricane season cranking up next month.

And the longer they are out the longer it will take to get back up and running.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
Well, I do think we are facing much bigger issues that getting sports going.
Well, we are at the moment. That goes without saying. The economy, unemployment, healthcare, etc. My point was if we're still facing those problems in two years we are going to be in major trouble. If we haven't gotten back to a new but relative "normal" within 24 months.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 04-06-2020, 08:58 PM   #8

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Small ask all,

If you want to talk about how this may impact the video game, this is the intention of this thread.

If you want to discuss the actual virus itself, please discuss here:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ed-states.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »