Home

This video proves the NFL Licenses exclusive never ending with EA!!!

This is a discussion on This video proves the NFL Licenses exclusive never ending with EA!!! within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2022, 05:58 PM   #25
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: This video proves the NFL Licenses exclusive never ending with EA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
EA has gone the opposite route with NFL. They bought ESPN, Arena League, NCAA, NFL, NFLPA exclusives originally. Half those licenses never got used. It was just owned to eliminate competition. It’s been effective but had to eat into profits pre-exclusives
Part of me wishes that 2K didn’t sign that NFL deal in 2020 because they could have made an XFL game or a USFL game. Now those leagues don’t have as much popularity a lot of them fold quickly after 1 season and a game wouldn’t sell well but it’s worth a shot for a pro football return.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #26
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
Part of me wishes that 2K didn’t sign that NFL deal in 2020 because they could have made an XFL game or a USFL game. Now those leagues don’t have as much popularity a lot of them fold quickly after 1 season and a game wouldn’t sell well but it’s worth a shot for a pro football return.
Neither of those leagues has the history, market size or brand awareness that the NFL, NFLPA & their licenses possess (or likely ever will).

It would be an fool's errand to make a football title based on such young, fledgling leagues.

The arcade license and getting back in business with the NFL is a much wiser choice.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 05-25-2022, 11:51 PM   #27
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
  • those leagues don’t have as much popularity
  • a lot of them fold quickly after 1 season
  • a game wouldn’t sell well
All good points.

Quote:
but it’s worth a shot
Old 05-26-2022, 12:20 AM   #28
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I believe that if COVID didn't happen, the XFL would've been able to live on the last few years. If 2K still hadn't pursued the NFL license by then and the XFL showed solvency, they would've approached them to make a game (or the other way around). One would've helped out the other, and maybe 2K could've been more attractive to the NFL again afterward.

But alas, that is not the case for the time being. Given that the NFL is a close partner with the XFL, assuming EA doesn't pursue something with them, I still don't think it's a far-fetched idea to see that 2K could have an XFL simulation game down the line.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 05-26-2022, 07:04 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Neither of those leagues has the history, market size or brand awareness that the NFL, NFLPA & their licenses possess (or likely ever will).

It would be an fool's errand to make a football title based on such young, fledgling leagues.

The arcade license and getting back in business with the NFL is a much wiser choice.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I believe that if COVID didn't happen, the XFL would've been able to live on the last few years. If 2K still hadn't pursued the NFL license by then and the XFL showed solvency, they would've approached them to make a game (or the other way around). One would've helped out the other, and maybe 2K could've been more attractive to the NFL again afterward.

But alas, that is not the case for the time being. Given that the NFL is a close partner with the XFL, assuming EA doesn't pursue something with them, I still don't think it's a far-fetched idea to see that 2K could have an XFL simulation game down the line.
I do agree that without Covid, XFL probably would have lasted longer. But, I do feel this upcoming iteration should do well with the resources it seems to have. Not by year 1, but by year 2 if XFL is doing well, I could see them having a game. I just don't see USFL competing, especially if it can have a better on-field product.

I do think the arcade license made sense. Unlike the Fifa license, I don't think EA would want to drop the NFL license. With EFootball/PES seemingly taking a step back, I don't think they see anyone jumping at the Fifa license especially with the cost. I don't think 2k would want to jump into the soccer market with EA Sports having a stronghold on it. But, they would with the NFL market. I don't see the exclusive license ending. NFL prefers exclusive deals and Madden is almost too big to fail. The last year of the current deal is unlocked if Madden hits certain revenue benchmarks and I don't see them not hitting it.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:14 PM   #30
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
This video proves the NFL Licenses exclusive never ending with EA!!!

Quote:
Part of me wishes that 2K didn’t sign that NFL deal in 2020 because they could have made an XFL game or a USFL game.
It was reported recently by Axios within a discussion of the USFL that FOX, the owner of the league, has no plans to get into gaming.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #31
Rookie

I'm surprised anyone whats to make a game for the NFL with how bad things are going for them. (Washington scandal, Watson, and Gruden Trial)

Last edited by Freebirdz; 06-17-2022 at 07:09 PM. Reason: edit to add Gruden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2022, 09:22 PM   #32
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebirdz
I'm surprised anyone whats to make a game for the NFL with how bad things are going for them. (Washington scandal, Watson, and Gruden Trial)
NFL always prints money. Gamers don’t care as much about controversies. There are a lot of people who don’t follow the NFL closely too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »