Home

Coach-aholics Anonymous

This is a discussion on Coach-aholics Anonymous within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Coach-aholics Anonymous

Let me start by saying that there are things that bug me about the game. Does it have flaws? You bet, but what game doesn't?

Regardless, I'm convinced that this game is meant to be played over a much longer period of time than I think most people are taking. I speak from experience when I say this. My first time through (Jets), I made it to the draft in about 5 hours and was getting bored with a lot of the different tasks. I didn't really seem too gung ho about the draft either which was disappointing since I usually look forward to that time in Madden. Then I started over with the Saints and took things much slower (10-12 hours to the draft) and found that I was stressing about the draft because I was taking the time to get to know the ins and outs of my team from the coaching staff on down to the special teams guys and I wanted to make the right pick. It was actually getting addictive--but not in the "I can't put the controller down" way. I was obsessing about planning around the strengths and weaknesses of my team. Since you don't really have direct control over the players, this is key.

It's been said over and over again but this game really is far from traditional. I don't think it's the type of game where you can go through a season in a week or two like Madden or NCAA. It's something that you need to take your time with to do right. In Madden, you can pick up any random QB and, if you are good enough on the sticks, the for 4k yards and 50 TDs easily. There's just no real connection to the players because your thumbs are really the players. Head Coach is different because your mind is the real player. You have to find the right guy for your system and your approach to the game has to match the strengths of your team. It's much more like Civilization in that aspect and Civ is definitely not something that is easy to breeze through.

I've read a few posts from people saying this thing or that thing is wrong with the game. Those people aren't necessarily wrong but none of those have been game-killers for me. Yes, the navigation desperately needs to be overhauled and the draft logic is off but I've been able to enjoy the game despite the problems. I hope they make another one next year (NCAA, too--PLEASE!!) and address some of those issues (along with making draft classes editable) but if they don't I think I'll be fine with this version. I may not get my $40 as quickly as I would with a normal football game but I think in the long run, I'll get much more out of it than I would with a Madden or NCAA.

The bottom line?
My name is woodjer, and I'm a Coach-aholic...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Rookie

blkdymnd's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Coach-aholics Anonymous

i'm going into this with kind of the same mindset. It's the first version so my expectations are about mid-range, definatley not high yet. And from what I hear I should be about correct. I'm also looking at this game in the long term sense that it'll take me time to adjust to the nuances from a franchise madden mode that you dont have to micromanage absolutley everything to a head coach career where you do. I realize that right now, this is somewhat of a barebones sim to start with, but I knew that coming into it. I did my research online to see what was being reveiwed and said about the game, guaranteeing that i'm not wasting my money. i'm looking forward to playing a decent sim and can't wait to see future versions of the game
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
The bottom line?
My name is woodjer, and I'm a Coach-aholic...
Hi Woodjer!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

ditto
Old 06-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6

Add me to the list. I can't sleep without my Head Coach fix!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdymnd
i'm going into this with kind of the same mindset. It's the first version so my expectations are about mid-range, definatley not high yet. And from what I hear I should be about correct. I'm also looking at this game in the long term sense that it'll take me time to adjust to the nuances from a franchise madden mode that you dont have to micromanage absolutley everything to a head coach career where you do. I realize that right now, this is somewhat of a barebones sim to start with, but I knew that coming into it. I did my research online to see what was being reveiwed and said about the game, guaranteeing that i'm not wasting my money. i'm looking forward to playing a decent sim and can't wait to see future versions of the game
Well said. Add me also to the list here.

Every year I get two baseball games: PC - OOTP and a console game. I will also add MVP 2005 (PC) to that list now that I found MVP mods. That's another topic however. But just as with my baseball games, I will be doing the same thing with my football games every year now.

Madden and NCAA will be for my "button mashing" fix and NFL Head Coach will satisfy the "coach-mode" in me. Heck I NCAA is really the only EA football game I play on a regular basis (still love NFL 2k5). I am looking forward to future versions of this game and hope that it can get to the same level as OOTP is for baseball.

When I sit down at a console game, I'm not expecting the level of stats that a game like OOTP can give me. Console games are not created to do that. They have to be fun, satisfy the graphic boys, and give some stats. A true sim game has one thing to do: Crunch the numbers, do it well, and go very deep with them too. This is what I hope for NFL Head Coach in the future.

This game has much room for improvement, but I am playing the heck out of it and will be the rest of the year even when the console games hit later. Better interface, deeper stats, and an overhaul on the presentation big time. Presentation needs to be top-notch since we are just watching the game after all the weekly stuff. Presentation is something that EA still needs to work on in all their titles.

Again add me to the club and kudos to the OP for starting the thread...

Last edited by RGmoney; 06-28-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Might as well add me to the list. Especially with the release of the HC Settings App.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

We need SportsCenter highlights or some kind of weekly show! Those beautiful wide screen TVs in all of the meeting rooms are so tantalizing, but all we can get out of them is a glossary??? I want to be able to click on that TV and see sportscenter highlights from last week's game! Or NFL Live! Come on they have the ESPN rights, 2k Sports did it last year with NFL2k5! We need SportsCenter!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »