Home

Old 06-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

OVR: 7
The Option

It's been mentioned several times that HC allows you to hire college coaches for your NFL team. The producers have also mentioned that the option (wishbone/flexbone) will be available to you. I find myself strongly considering starting a Vikings franchise and running the option. 2 great running backs, a fast quarterback, and an adaptive offensive line -- all things the Vikings possess that seem like they would benefit an option attack.

Of course, having said all of that, I'm sure I'll come up with other, even more idiotic ideas over the next 2 months while awaiting this game. Anyone else have ideas for career mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: The Option

That could be tough trying to put together the wishbone in NFL, given the talent level on defense and having a one dimensional offense. I have thought of putting together a team with a 70s "run first establish the run"(very similar to Jax. Jaguars currently) offense giving the fullback more carries. Better be adept at passing though if you're to be successful on offense. Part of the fun will be experimenting though.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

This kind of thing is what makes me really look forward to the game.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am definitely installing the wishbone. Great on goaline, or just to change it up.

As far as the fullback is concerned, I am bringing it back, smashmouth Csonka style.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 31

My hope with this whole play editor is to make the many different types of playbooks so that different teams in the NFL run vastly different styles. From old school Green Bay T formation to the run and shoot of the Houston Oilers to the two back Browns system of the eighties and with my team I will run the BONE!!

I hope we can implement this all well. This is what I have been waiting for in a football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

With McFadden on the roster, I've been thinking about creating the 'Wildcat' formation and putting together a few plays to take advantage of McFaddens ability to play QB and be a threat to run when the play breaks down.

But now that you mention the option, maybe I'll try sticking McFadden in at QB to run the option with Fargas as the HB and see how that goes

I need to know all of my guys ratings before I can really start working on this stuff though...
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
With McFadden on the roster, I've been thinking about creating the 'Wildcat' formation and putting together a few plays to take advantage of McFaddens ability to play QB and be a threat to run when the play breaks down.

But now that you mention the option, maybe I'll try sticking McFadden in at QB to run the option with Fargas as the HB and see how that goes

I need to know all of my guys ratings before I can really start working on this stuff though...
That's a curious point you mention, DLaren. The developers have stated that players are rated based on their ability to play within a certain system. I wonder if we'll be able to tell how they'll play in another system without our actually changing the system. Part of me hopes we will be able to tell, and another part of me hopes that we won't. It almost seems more realistic that we won't be able to tell. We'll know individual skill ratings and can make judgment calls from those, but we won't actually have an overall rating until the switch is made.

Yet another thing I'll be waiting to see. Is it August yet?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimulator
I am definitely installing the wishbone. Great on goaline, or just to change it up.

As far as the fullback is concerned, I am bringing it back, smashmouth Csonka style.
Thinking about it, wonder if you could run a true wishbone. The wishbone offense the QB can make a pre-snap read and give to the FB or read where the DE is going and either keep or pitch it, a true triple option. I doubt you could do this with a Pro game unless the devs enlighten us.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »