Home

Clutch rating, have a look EA Devs!

This is a discussion on Clutch rating, have a look EA Devs! within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Clutch rating, have a look EA Devs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Bekins
I think this feature woudl be a great complement to the Defining Moments feature.

On the HC09 team, we had a rule that we could not include any feature that wasn't clearly communicated to the user. (Whether we met that goal probably belongs in a different thread). Do you have any ideas on how we would make clear to the user when the clutch rating takes effect?
Interesting that you mention that because I was thinking the Defining moments would be something that would go along with it

Hmm an easy way to let the user know what helps their QB become better in the clutch without too much drivel..

I am honestly thinking it could be incorporated somehow into Defining Moments but I am also thinking about a way for the Game Clock to Illuminate. That way it conveys in a visual manner that your QB is in that frame of time where his play can increase and decrease his clutch rating. Of course this would change as the scores change.

Another issue would be to make sure that each time you gain the lead and lose it that you aren't given the same boosts in clutch as you may be given for that initial lead or the game ending drive for the win.

Though most of the defining moments seem geared more towards the coach and his approval I do imagine you could come up with a similar system for the QB but that would put a lot of emphasis on the Quarterback in a very frontal type of way, kind of detracts from the main part of the game being geared towards coaching alone. I think the clock illuminating or illuminating your teams icon once you have possession would be a good way to indicate when you're in "The Clutch". If you want to get really crazy you could have clutch times/drives factor into Offensive Coordinator attributes/abilities.

The instruction manual could simply show the rating of Clutch.

Clutch: Your Quarterback is given a rating which can be improved or decreased based on his play in the latter parts of every game. A QuarterBack who drives his team down the field with 2 minutes to go in the 4th will gain more increases towards his Clutch rating than he would had he led the team down the field at the beginning of the 4th.

The same could be applied once your QB gathers a clutch rating large enough to matter in clutch situations (Which again would be signified by the clock/possession of the team being illuminated) by default a standard 50 rating on clutch means no change in play. Meaning if you had a guy who managed to consistently throw picks and blow games late he could fall below 50 and thus perform badly in clutch situations, "Choke Artist".

Once the game has went into that area and you're in a clutch mode your QB will have the attributes raised which the clutch rating affects. Accuracy is one attribute I can think of, perhaps an awareness rating increase as well. So your QB has accumulated a 60 in the clutch he'd be awarded one point towards his accuracy and awareness for example.

Of course my idea and system for this may be a little overdone. I think as a basic 4th QT game ending drive it could be a great addition. The precise calculations and ways to improve the clutch rating would be up to you guys to decide for game balance purposes.

Last edited by casvdry; 08-08-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

Agree this is a must have in the next edition. To go along with the "running out of time scenario" the QB should also be able to:

-Effectively run the no huddle, and call his own plays at the LOS, even no huddling his team and then going for the spike. Without the coach being involved.

-The QB calling the timeout on his own without the coach approval.

-Pulling off a win from behind dramatically effecting team morale and chemistry, conversly devastating the losing team.

-install 2 minute drills in practice.

Every QB should have a clutch rating. Obviously the low end rated cluch QB would basically mean "panic mode". Rushing his reads, calling an ill advised time out, not doing a no huddle when he should.

Great idea casvdry!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

I believe that you could go even farther then just QB's with the clutch raiting. I think its a great idea. I think that the illuminating clock to show its a clutch situation would be a great way to show people its going on. I believe then what you could do is have every player have a clutch raiting and it could go up and down based on how a player performed when the clock was illuminated. Say your defensive back or line backer got a key pick in a clutch situation. His clutch raiting could go up. Or one of your linemen got a key sack. His clutch raiting could go up. On offense it could be for a WR making a clutch catch, OL making a key block, RB making a first down or scoring, QB running his team down the field. I think this is could be a big feature and could really be huge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtigers
I believe that you could go even farther then just QB's with the clutch raiting. I think its a great idea. I think that the illuminating clock to show its a clutch situation would be a great way to show people its going on. I believe then what you could do is have every player have a clutch raiting and it could go up and down based on how a player performed when the clock was illuminated. Say your defensive back or line backer got a key pick in a clutch situation. His clutch raiting could go up. Or one of your linemen got a key sack. His clutch raiting could go up. On offense it could be for a WR making a clutch catch, OL making a key block, RB making a first down or scoring, QB running his team down the field. I think this is could be a big feature and could really be huge.
You're right, you could apply it across the board if you wanted to, it would sure make the game more interesting. Either that or have it apply to the Kicker/QB.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
Rookie

Ya when you really think about it football is a game where every clutch situation matters and the players that get paid the big bucks are the ones who come through in those situations. I know if this feature was in the game I would def. look at the raiting when looking at players. You dont want you star QB or Kicker to suck in key situations.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
Rookie

HoHoHo, add me to the development team! I have so many ideas for this game it isn't funny. I don't want to spam the boards up though
Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
Rookie

Just make a thread where you can post them. I mean I know they would love ideas cause its less they have to think of. Then people can reply to your ideas and we can make them better. I think this game has a lot of potential as long as it gets a solid fan base. I mean I got to say the developers of this game have been amazing by coming on the boards and talking about the game and listening to suggestions.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »