Home

Front Office side: Lacking

This is a discussion on Front Office side: Lacking within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

OVR: 17
Front Office side: Lacking

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the in-game coaching. My issue is the day to day operations and the lack of interaction. I coach high school and this is a small break down of my day.

1. Meet Office secretary: player in trouble and grade/homework issues
2. Coach talk
3. Head to field basic warm-ups, talk to players "injury,school stuff"
3. Break into daily workout
4. scrimmage with JV "If time allows"
5. cooldown and basic talk Practice, game plan, things for nextday
6. Coach talk, film, player issue
7. After practice workouts "Voluntary"
Also the "start my kid" parents 15mins of fame talk

However with HC I kinda feel like I sit in an office and once a day I get asked what to train: player/play.

I don't get to interact with the media or the player, or even do anything at practice. I just sit and stare at the clipboard waiting for somthig to come up so I can hit X or O.

I think more day to day interaction is needed with player, coaches, owner/GM, media.
I need players telling me they can't feed their family on $70 mil, or a GM pushing me to start the rookie. Or the media asking me everyday if the bagel B.Farve eat with stop global warming. "NFL Life sucks, but that a diffrent story"

Maybe having "X" amount of hours per-day/week to delegate to thing.
Being able to send my QB to the film room for extra time, but cut into his strength training etc.

The overall feel of the game is disconnected
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Front Office side: Lacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpre5
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the in-game coaching. My issue is the day to day operations and the lack of interaction. I coach high school and this is a small break down of my day.

1. Meet Office secretary: player in trouble and grade/homework issues
2. Coach talk
3. Head to field basic warm-ups, talk to players "injury,school stuff"
3. Break into daily workout
4. scrimmage with JV "If time allows"
5. cooldown and basic talk Practice, game plan, things for nextday
6. Coach talk, film, player issue
7. After practice workouts "Voluntary"
Also the "start my kid" parents 15mins of fame talk

However with HC I kinda feel like I sit in an office and once a day I get asked what to train: player/play.

I don't get to interact with the media or the player, or even do anything at practice. I just sit and stare at the clipboard waiting for somthig to come up so I can hit X or O.

I think more day to day interaction is needed with player, coaches, owner/GM, media.
I need players telling me they can't feed their family on $70 mil, or a GM pushing me to start the rookie. Or the media asking me everyday if the bagel B.Farve eat with stop global warming. "NFL Life sucks, but that a diffrent story"

Maybe having "X" amount of hours per-day/week to delegate to thing.
Being able to send my QB to the film room for extra time, but cut into his strength training etc.

The overall feel of the game is disconnected
As a former HS coach myself, I see where you are coming from, but much of what you're talking about WAS represented in the previous Head Coach, and it was drudgery.

When I was coaching, I looked forward to practice every day, but not to watch football, but to teach and interact and, well, learn about my players. I can't imagine breaking that experience down into a graphical representation. I'd much rather keep the meat of the game moving than have to sit through something that is just so far from what it's really about.

Gameday is about player management and play calling... that can be done in a game. Practice is about people; that can't.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

i definitely would love to see a media approach. a interview after the games. the way you answer the questions can increase/decrease your "approval" rating.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Blowing bubbles

Cpre5's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

Gameday is about player management and play calling... that can be done in a game. Practice is about people; that can't.
True, and I'm not looking for on the field practice interactions with each player breaking down there play. But rather the ability to direct player to routine through the week.
Like QB.
Lets say I have 10 hours per week for my QBs. With time breakdown like: Film, field play, conditioning. Ill give 5 hour to film, 4 to field play, 1 to conditioning etc...
I know players can spend all day at HQ int he real nfl, but we should be able to get a better feel for it. Something more then, Today Ill teach my rookie TE, or Ill teach one new play.

A mix of talking to player in old 2k NBA games, and using phone hours in NCAA recruting.
Something to give better team interaction during day to day. Spending each day waiting for 1 item to pop-up on the clipboard is boring.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

The one thing I would like to see kind of brought back from the old head coach is a staff meeting to get some input from your other coaches. Even if it had something to do with the gameplanning for the next opponent it would add something. Also I am not a huge fan of the draft, I liked having the old 'war room' set up where all of your coaches would suggest a player.

It would also be nice to keep a menu/screen for previous draft classes. It seems like it is only going to show you the most recent one. One way around this, that should be included anyways is somewhere within the player bio to provide their draft position and a 'how aquired' for their current team.

Off the top of my head I can't recall anywhere in the player bio that lists their previous awards/pro bowls either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
The one thing I would like to see kind of brought back from the old head coach is a staff meeting to get some input from your other coaches. Even if it had something to do with the gameplanning for the next opponent it would add something. Also I am not a huge fan of the draft, I liked having the old 'war room' set up where all of your coaches would suggest a player.

It would also be nice to keep a menu/screen for previous draft classes. It seems like it is only going to show you the most recent one. One way around this, that should be included anyways is somewhere within the player bio to provide their draft position and a 'how aquired' for their current team.

Off the top of my head I can't recall anywhere in the player bio that lists their previous awards/pro bowls either.
First person I have heard from who doesn't like the draft. What's wrong with you! Hehe.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablueduck
First person I have heard from who doesn't like the draft. What's wrong with you! Hehe.
haha, Well I like the process of the draft. It seems to run very well and teams draft very appropriately and move up and down a reasonable amount. I just don't like how the draft is just me staring at a menu. I kind of liked how it was before with me in a room with the other coaches during the draft.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »