Home

Total Plays in simmed games

This is a discussion on Total Plays in simmed games within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Total Plays in simmed games

Something I've noticed recently that I thought the community should be aware of...

It seems that in simulated games the total number of offensive plays (run attempts + pass attempts) is low in this game compared to the NFL average of 120. I counted up the total plays from each of the first two weeks of the regular season and was a little surprised by the results:

Week 1:

135/OT

115.6 AVG

Without OT: 107.4 AVG

Week 2:

128/OT
128/OT
125/OT

112 AVG

Without OT: 108.6 AVG.

OT means, obviously, that the game went into overtime, and for those special cases (and HUGE outliers) I did two averages, one only factoring in the regulation games, and one factoring in everything.

What does it all mean? Well, not much if you look at the averages - When you factor in the OT's they're a bit low, but not too bad. Take 'em out and both drop below 110, which IS low. What I'm more concerned about are the sub-100 play games - I don't think I've EVER seen that in the real NFL or video game sims. That's gotta be having an interesting effect on the stats, I would think...

I can record more weeks if you wanna hit me with the sample size argument. I simmed the whole season and have 15 more weeks of boxscores that I can look through. But I'd also like to hear from people who use Supersim - is it the same? Do you see fewer plays in those games?

And FWIW, I'm not crying bug on this. If the plays the sim puts out are too low for real life, I'll adjust in my played...er, coached games to match those stats. All I want out of this game - any game - is to have my results match what the sim puts out. Especially down the road in the career when we don't know what will be "realistic" and what won't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Total Plays in simmed games

Good thread. The way I've been playing is I supersim 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters...and jump in the 4th.

I've played 5 reg season games and I average between 110-125 or so plays including the punts, fg's, and kickoffs which is pretty spot on to the NFL. 120 plays in NFL is an average of course. Some teams last year had over 130 plays, like the Pats for example.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

I've been looking for a reason to play less than 15 minute qtrs...Maybe if I drop to 12 minutes I'll be more in line with what the CPU is getting
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
I've been looking for a reason to play less than 15 minute qtrs...Maybe if I drop to 12 minutes I'll be more in line with what the CPU is getting
I think I read somewhere from the devs that the accel clock is turned off in anything under 15, so you might wanna drop to the usual 7 or 8 if you try that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »