Home

Formations and Depth Charts

This is a discussion on Formations and Depth Charts within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Formations and Depth Charts

I'm running into a pretty serious problem as the Dallas Cowboys.

As far as I can tell, HC only lets you set depth charts for the base defense employed. For the Cowboys, this is the 3-4.

Now, with a pretty remarkable amount of frequency, the sim engine appears to see fit to employ nickel formations. In the case of the Cowboys (or any other 3-4 team), the roles of the defensive linemen are vastly different, but the depth chart is fixed. So from a nickel look, the defensive line would be Marcus Spears (LE), Jay Ratliff (LDT), Tank Johnson (RDT) and Chris Canty (RE).

Clearly, this doesn't make any sense. 3-4 technique defensive ends are much more akin to 4-3 defensive tackles in their assignments and skillsets. The REAL Cowboys depth chart in the nickel would be to fill the Nickel LE with the 3-4 LOLB, the LDT with the 3-4 LE, the RDT with the 3-4 NT, the RE with the 3-4 ROLB. The LBs would, for the Cowboys, be one of the ILB and Anthony Henry, a CB/FS.

The question is, how do I make the reality of this team actually happen in Head Coach? If I'm coaching the games directly, I can create plays that have the depth chart selections made manually. But I typically like to play GM and sim, which means the system is going to want to pick the Nickel sets with what amount to 4 defensive tackles manning the line. Not exactly great for pass pressure...

What do I do to make this game present something even remotely approximate to the way a 3-4 defense works?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Formations and Depth Charts

Have you tried removing the Nickle formation(s) from your playbook?
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Rookie

StumpyJones's Arena

OVR: 4

I also would like to know if formation personal can be managed. Playing as the Saints, I'd like to employ the line with my DE Charles Grant moving inside with Ellis and McCray playing his spot for nickle & dime formations. Is this possible?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
Have you tried removing the Nickle formation(s) from your playbook?
I still need nickel formations, just not with the absurd player assignments - and I have no idea how to remove something from a playbook in an active game (I'm in season 4). I don't even know how to change playbooks, or if you even can!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

just one the first time you call the nickel plays you should be able to quick sub and it should stay that way for that formation ever time, but should have the other guys in the other formations. I have not actually try this but I seem to think that it would do it (edit) from other experiences.
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

place those OLB's in one of the back up DE positions on the depth, ILB's in the back up OLB positions, DE's in the DT back up positions....now they should show up in the QUICK SUB option for your nickle...same thing for henry put him in as oof the back up FS's
Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Rookie

Quick sub is super, but it doesn't address anything, considering that I'm simming my games.

I'm just looking for a way to sim a 3-4 team with some minor, minor semblance of realism.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Recreate all the nickel plays with the correct formation set and then delete the nickel playbook so the computer uses your nickel set instead of the default wrong one? I'm not sure if this would work but it's worth a shot, I'll try it out too as I also play with Dallas. I think you would have to set how often the computer uses the plays to the mid or high range though, and I'm not sure this if you can do this if the only way to make plays without getting the injury bug is to do it in the middle of games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »