Home

Questions about Season Goals

This is a discussion on Questions about Season Goals within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Questions about Season Goals

Someone used the term "addictive" to describe this game. I'd have to agree. I plugged the game into my XBox for the very first time at 7:30 pm last night. I didn't quit playing until 1: 30 am.

Player's Knowledge Last night one of my goals was to get a player's knowledge up to 47%. I noticed as the Gameplan kept coming up during pre-season that I could train certain rookies, but where would I go to enhance the knowledge of a veteran, or any player, for that matter?

Trade for a Certain Player One of my pre-season goals was to trade for Bears TE Desmond Clark. However, when I approached the Bears (on several occasions), I got the message that they weren't interested, and that I should put more players on the trade block. Eventually, I was unable to trade for Clark, so I lost approval points. Could I have done something differently?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Rookie

Devias's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Questions about Season Goals

I have run into several Season Goal logic problems as well. The goals are either impossible, or outrageously unlikely to happen.

For instance, every pre-season I have goals to increase Rookie play knowledge to 25%. I usually have 2 or 3 of these goals - one for each rookie - and they have to be done by the start of the first regular season game (beginning of September).

Problem is, even if I put these rookies 1st string during the pre-season and use Train Rookie every time I can (and thus neglect the rest of my squad), I can barely get ONE rookie to 25% play knowledge before September, let alone 3 of them! It's basically an impossible goal because you just don't have enough time to do 3 rookies.

The trade season goals are the worst. Your season goal won't change even if the player gets injured. I've had some ridiculous trade goals as well, like asking me to nab a star player who's perfectly happy where he is. I'm waiting for the game to ask me to obtain Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Resigning goals are frustrating too, because if a negotiation breaks down, it instantly fails you. Is there a way to tell how tolerant a player is to negotiation? I've had a goal to resign a player who's very happy with my team, he asks for package 36, and I reasonably counter with package 30, and he walks away. Poof, goal failed.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

Don't freak out about goals. I try to do what I can, if I can't do them they never seem to kill me.

I'm always asked to resign a player or two that I don't have cap room for. Last year I was asked to resign Ronde Barber and Derrick Brooks. I didn't have cap room, I franchised Barber and lost Brooks to FA. It didn't hurt me bad at all.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Programmer

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devias
I have run into several Season Goal logic problems as well. The goals are either impossible, or outrageously unlikely to happen.

For instance, every pre-season I have goals to increase Rookie play knowledge to 25%. I usually have 2 or 3 of these goals - one for each rookie - and they have to be done by the start of the first regular season game (beginning of September).

Problem is, even if I put these rookies 1st string during the pre-season and use Train Rookie every time I can (and thus neglect the rest of my squad), I can barely get ONE rookie to 25% play knowledge before September, let alone 3 of them! It's basically an impossible goal because you just don't have enough time to do 3 rookies.

The trade season goals are the worst. Your season goal won't change even if the player gets injured. I've had some ridiculous trade goals as well, like asking me to nab a star player who's perfectly happy where he is. I'm waiting for the game to ask me to obtain Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Resigning goals are frustrating too, because if a negotiation breaks down, it instantly fails you. Is there a way to tell how tolerant a player is to negotiation? I've had a goal to resign a player who's very happy with my team, he asks for package 36, and I reasonably counter with package 30, and he walks away. Poof, goal failed.
Some of the goals are difficult to achieve, and this is actually by design. Note that you only have to achieve roughly half the goals to break even on approval.

For the rookie play learning goals, pay attention to who the GM is interested in. Sometimes these are guys that the GM thinks are gems and wants to see how they perform. The fastest way to make them learn is by giving them plenty of reps in your preseason games. They might end up having low learning ability and not reach the goal, but that's what the GM wants to find out.

Also, some goals such as the trade goals have a huge approval boost (+40) with zero penalty. If you disagree with the trade suggestion, no worries. Just ignore it.

You should never get a trade goal unless that player is already on the trade block. I can assure you you'll never get a goal to trade for Tom Brady . If the team isn't interested at first, you can figure out who they might want by checking for weaknesses on their roster.

As far as the bugs go, I have no excuse for that. We'll keep these on our list of issues.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburntigersfan
Don't freak out about goals. I try to do what I can, if I can't do them they never seem to kill me.

I'm always asked to resign a player or two that I don't have cap room for. Last year I was asked to resign Ronde Barber and Derrick Brooks. I didn't have cap room, I franchised Barber and lost Brooks to FA. It didn't hurt me bad at all.
Try that with a lousy franchise like my beloved Falcons! LOL! You're already on a short leash.

Cue bad Michael Vick references in 3...2...1...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Bekins
For the rookie play learning goals, pay attention to who the GM is interested in.
How can I tell which players the GM is interested in?

And do I get players time in the pre-season by re-aligning my depth chart?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Programmer

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
How can I tell which players the GM is interested in?

And do I get players time in the pre-season by re-aligning my depth chart?
Sorry if it was unclear - I meant the player that the goal refers to. For example, "Get Jake Long to 25% play knowledge." Sometimes the goal will be for an odd player that you wouldn't expect. This is a guy that you might want to take a closer look at during the preseason.

The easiest way to get a player reps is to modify your depth chart. That way they will also get reps in practice. If you want to micro-manage instead, you can use the quick-subs feature during the game.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
MVP

Tweeg's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Bekins
Sorry if it was unclear - I meant the player that the goal refers to. For example, "Get Jake Long to 25% play knowledge." Sometimes the goal will be for an odd player that you wouldn't expect. This is a guy that you might want to take a closer look at during the preseason.

The easiest way to get a player reps is to modify your depth chart. That way they will also get reps in practice. If you want to micro-manage instead, you can use the quick-subs feature during the game.
You guys (head coach team) have been great at getting back to us. Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »