Home

After playing for awhile...really hoping for a patch

This is a discussion on After playing for awhile...really hoping for a patch within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: My Comments After Playing a Lot...Patch Really Required for Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
I use the Steelers too, and the playbook is awful. Absolutely terrible. Especially on defense. Labeau is a good DC but even he doesn't blitz 100% of the time; in HC almost every play is a blitz. It's a chore creating or downloading non-blitzing plays to use in deep situations.

And on offense, the passing plays are non-existant.
You exactly hit it on the head for me as well....I have the same exact feelings. I even tried creating my own custom playbook, but based on how the plays are filtered, way too much work.

All I want is a realistic and full representation of my Steeler playbook. I would even be happy if it was the same playbook from madden. I understand part of the game is about building and evolving your playbook, but all the fundamentals should be there at the start of the game. Kind of unrealistic to start preseason with such a dismal playbook.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
First of all, defintely the basis for a very good game and regardless if anything gets patch, a game I will likely play throughout the season.

The front office side of the game seems pretty solid, not too many complaints/issues there. I may not agree with how everything is handled, but no major issues for me.

The real problem comes with the gameplay for me. These are the things I'm hoping eventually gets fixed, although probably not very likely.

- Two Minute Offense: Enough said about this one, but has affected a number of my games.

- Playbooks: I play with the Steelers and the playbook is dreadfully small and not creative at all. Sure the Steelers like to run, but even nowadays that don't line up in the goal line stance all the time. The plays don't really allow for any open play and there are very few default plays. I know you can create your own, but even Madden's playbook has the basics.
By design. The idea is you're supposed to build your own playbook.

Quote:
- Special Teams: As mentioned in one of my other posts, just plain crazy that my starting QB is lining up as an edge blocker on special teams and other starters on the kick-off team. We need a way to set our own special team depth charts beyond the kickers and returners.
I couldn't agree with you more. First time this even hit me was when I replayed the draft and took Tom Zbikowski and the announcer's talked about how he'll be great on Special Teams until he develops into a starter, and I'm thinking, "so, uh, how do I make sure he's on special teams?!"

Quote:
- Sliders: Really don't seem to have a dramatic effect. If I put qb accuracy to 0 and ints to 100, you should see a drastic difference. But you don't notice much different.

- Robo QBs: Enough said on this as well. Way too high completion %. You know somethings wrong when Jackson from the Vikings is completing 80%+.

- Running Back Plays: A lot said on this as well. Mind boggling some times to watch the RB miss a wide open hole or juke right into the arms of the defender when any High School back would have seen it.
This is a product of coaching. If you put a lot of points into your HB related coaching attributes, he'll improve dramatically/

Quote:
- Run/Pass Balance: Another post reminded me of another issue. CPU does not appear to run a reasonable offense compared to their real-life counterparts. Now part of that could be the teams within the game decided on a new philosphy, but teams seem to heavy favor the pass. Not uncommon for most teams to put the ball in the air 35, 40, etc times in the air. For example, playing the Vikings you would think they are a run and shoot team. They don't utilize Peterson all that well. He may get 10-15 carries and the rest is throwing the ball, regardless of the current score.
Yeah, I think the play calling logic is solid, but it doesn't include anything to ensure balance. While an arbitrary 60/40 split isn't desirable, all teams should be looking toward maintaining a certain level of balance.

Quote:
- Sideline Plays: Way too many screen plays and running plays when the player seems to go out of bounds for no reason whatsoever.
This has been a problem in the Madden engine for decades.

Quote:
- Use of Star Players: I have played a ton of games with the Steelers and I can't get the ball to multiple star players. For instance, I think Santanio Holmes has like 2 catches and maybe one TD over the course of these games even when I try and target him.

- Tight Ends Seem to Rule: Just about every game, my TE leads in receptions. I hardly even target him.

- Fumbles: Too many of the them.
Yeah, bit too many. Perhaps patchable?

Quote:
- In Game Player Substitutions: My players just don't seem to get tired enough where the CPU will take them out. Even worse for the CPU itself since I have yet to see a backup RB get any carries unless the started gets injured.
Agreed, need more fatigue and for god's sake auto-subs. That's a bit more micromanagement during the game than I want.

Quote:
- Game Changing Moments: They just don't seem logical too me. Good concept, but they try and make you do some very crazy things in odd situations. Make them realistic or have an option to turn them off.
I think, for the most part, they're fine, but yes, asking me to kick an onside when down 8 with 9 minutes to go is insane.

Quote:
- Punting: Rarely can a punter coffin corner punt. Most end up in the end zone or the punter just badly shanking it.

Again, not trying to sound harsh, but to take this game to the next level, these things need to be looked at and hopefully they will receive some consideration for a patch.
Good post. I hope we get a 2010

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: After playing for awhile...really hoping for a patch

Nice points skybelle, and done in a respectful manner to boot. I agree with most of them, but I haven't had many issues with using star receivers as TO has been the go-to-guy in the games I've used the Cowboys.

I do think the TE could be used less, but in a case where the TE is a star, that's understandable if Witten, Gates, and co. are catching a lot of passes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Good post. I hope we get a 2010
Me too Even though I have a number of issues, still fundamentally a good game and mostly enjoyable.....it is getting way more play time then Madden at this point.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #13
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
You exactly hit it on the head for me as well....I have the same exact feelings. I even tried creating my own custom playbook, but based on how the plays are filtered, way too much work.

All I want is a realistic and full representation of my Steeler playbook. I would even be happy if it was the same playbook from madden. I understand part of the game is about building and evolving your playbook, but all the fundamentals should be there at the start of the game. Kind of unrealistic to start preseason with such a dismal playbook.
I'm a die-hard Steelers fan, but I've been using the Dolphins (for a better challenge). I totally agree with the sliders not really having an effect at all. I too went with the extreme method of turning my sliders to 100 and the CPU's to 0 and didn't see a noticeable effect.

If there was a patch to fix the sliders and the two-minute offense bug I'd be in seventh heaven!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Re: After playing for awhile...really hoping for a patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor
Nice points skybelle, and done in a respectful manner to boot. I agree with most of them, but I haven't had many issues with using star receivers as TO has been the go-to-guy in the games I've used the Cowboys.

I do think the TE could be used less, but in a case where the TE is a star, that's understandable if Witten, Gates, and co. are catching a lot of passes
Thanks. The game has so many good things going for it, I just want to so badly see it even get better
Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #15
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
I'm a die-hard Steelers fan, but I've been using the Dolphins (for a better challenge). I totally agree with the sliders not really having an effect at all. I too went with the extreme method of turning my sliders to 100 and the CPU's to 0 and didn't see a noticeable effect.

If there was a patch to fix the sliders and the two-minute offense bug I'd be in seventh heaven!

It would be a good start in the right direction, that is for sure...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 24

One thing with the Steelers' playbook is that there are very, very few PA passes. I think 5 total. The Steelers' MO is run, run, PA pass. I'd love to be able to set up the PA pass but there are only 3-4 plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »