Home

Problems with CPU teams benching bad QBs w/ evidence

This is a discussion on Problems with CPU teams benching bad QBs w/ evidence within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
Problems with CPU teams benching bad QBs w/ evidence

Second attempt at this...didn't go through with my longer post.

I think the problem with the high amount of INTs and some other problems

I don't think the CPU benches bad players with a rookie or similar rated player. I know they never remove the QB unless injured but I haven't done enough research into other teams. This is just a snap shot of what I've found.

During my first season, the Saints had two QBs injured and were unavailable. The CPU did not try and sign a free agent for the week. Instead they had Colston play QB. What's even worse is that they tried to pass the ball the entire game. I think he threw the ball 33 times and only completed 3 with 8 INTs.

Second teams with QBs similar overall do NOT ever make a QB change no matter how bad the team is doing. The only time they change is for an injury. Chicago never goes through any QB carousel.

The raiders go through the same thing.

I think a solution is to give the CPU for clipboard items asking them to make a change. (I'm suggesting this because I seem to remember saying that the same options are given to the CPU teams.)

There are also other implications of this...the CPU might not bench any bad players from QB to CB.

I don't know if this is quite in the game killer region but it really hurts the game in terms of having bad teams at least put up a fight later in the season. It's no fun facing a team that's not even going to try and shake things up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Problems with CPU teams benching bad QBs w/ evidence

Agreed, in a game like this u must have the cpu makin the same amount of changes that the human are having....I remember MADDEN even had this in terms of playing the better/younger players as they progressed every 4 games......last nite I was simming a couple season just to try and rebuild a team from simming... the niners sign culpepper after alex smith had a 51 td season, culpepper started for the niners the next year even tho he threw 35 picks and threw only 15 TD's!!!! alex smith never saw the field that year!!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
MVP

I can't beleive this isn't a bigger issue.

Maybe a lot of you guys aren't seeing it. In other careers, I've actually played against teams that are playing a worthless QB and not even trying to shake things up.

Puts a huge damper on the game...imho.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

The M. Colston thing is not good. At all. It should be fixed. Period.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
I can't beleive this isn't a bigger issue.

Maybe a lot of you guys aren't seeing it. In other careers, I've actually played against teams that are playing a worthless QB and not even trying to shake things up.

Puts a huge damper on the game...imho.

Im guessing most poeple havent got pass a whole season yet. me, that is the first thing I do when I buy a sports game is to sim a couple seasons. My work around is to switch players positions around, Josh said if they put out a patch they will enable Wr to switch back to their original position, so I guess I will edit a struggling QB to Wr so he get benched

Last edited by Jukeman; 08-20-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

you should post this in the lead designer q and a. this is a major major issue if you ask me. it just doesnt happen ever in the nfl. Im finding that with all these little bugs the game is hard to start playing until a patch is released. assuming there will be one.

but yeah post this in the sticky thread at the top of the forum under lead designer q and a.. i believe thats what it is
Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

That is a big logic issue right there, but I don't think it happens all that often.

There was a lot of shifting of starting QBs around the NFL in my career.

McNabb went to the Panthers. Kolb took over he's got 86 ovr

Eli Manning went to the Ravens, Flacco had 80 ovr, not bad, but Eli was an upgrade for them. I did think the Giants they drafted 1 in the 1st round or they have Andre Woodson starting

Pennington went to the Bears, with this 70 thp, as a starter no less.

JaMarcus Russel became the starter after year 1.

Arizona gave up on Matt Leinart and cut him.

A lot of rookies or 1st year players took over a lot of starting QB jobs.

The only ones that have really held on to starting jobs are the QBs in the 90s, such as Brady, Manning, Favre, Palmer.

Favre considered retirement in the offseason, but came back for 1 more, year. I'm guessing he's going to be retired by the end of the season, in which case my rookie should be ready to go by the next season. (though I doubt I'll do as well)
Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
MVP

Yes but that's after year 1. I have no doubt the CPU changes it teams during the offseason.

But here's my issue, sometimes you are given a chance to bench a player. It seems that the CPU doesn't have to do this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »