Home

Feature Breakdown: Team Position Philosophies

This is a discussion on Feature Breakdown: Team Position Philosophies within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Feature Breakdown: Team Position Philosophies

Josh, please give us a breakdown of the differences between the various team position philosophies for each position. ie. What is the difference between a prototype DT and a one gap penetrator. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Feature Breakdown: Team Position Philosophies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocephusTyrant
Josh, please give us a breakdown of the differences between the various team position philosophies for each position. ie. What is the difference between a prototype DT and a one gap penetrator. Thanks
here here!! I've been asking for this since Aug 12 or 14 whatever day it was I found this shangri-la!!

although....I guess we basically want a "Features" sticky for everything not covered in the Prima guide...lol, sounds like you may need to hire some writers
Old 08-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

I am curious of this too. What's the difference in a Strong Arm/Tools QB and a Pure Passing QB?

Prototype DT and a Versitile/3-4 DT.

Clearing these up may help players in the draft as they can look and see what bonuses a player should have to fit into their team game plan (Speed, Decision Making, etc)
Old 08-31-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Bump. Please vote for this and request the developers to provide us with more information.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Huge Bump-o.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

Well some of the differences are obvious.
Undersized is a colts type dlineman
3-4 dt is a Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton typed plugger
Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelraccoon
I am curious of this too. What's the difference in a Strong Arm/Tools QB and a Pure Passing QB?

Prototype DT and a Versitile/3-4 DT.

Clearing these up may help players in the draft as they can look and see what bonuses a player should have to fit into their team game plan (Speed, Decision Making, etc)
Strong arm/Tools QB's are those guys that have all the physical tools. Think rocket arm, similar in a lot of respects I think to a Brett Favre or, now, a Joe Flacco.The ball gets to the reciever on a rope wherever the pass is on the field. I'd think these are generally really good for a gameplan than relies heavily on deeper pass patterns, espesially for deep play action passing, as Flacco made a living doing last year. Pure Passers are those QB's who throw the ball extemely well. Touch and accuracy are primary for this kind of QB, but arm strength may be less heavily factored into the ratings. Think Troy Aikman in his prime, everyone talks about how accurate the guy was. Great for hitting recievers on the money in pass patterns that are short to mid-range. Also not much of a physical specimen as far as scrambling and running the ball goes. He there to drop back, set up, and hit his recievers on time. Depending on arm strength, he can still make deep passes. He's not going to buy a lot of time in the pocket of it starts to break down, and he isn't as likely to be able to squeeze the ball into tight coverage the way a Brett Farve/Strong Arm QB could do.

Protoype DT is a tackle that has all the physical tools you would look for in an ideal DT. Size, strength, weight, conditioning (stamina), all the physical attributes are weighed heavily into the Prototype ratings at any position. I'd say someone like an Albert Haynesworth or maybe a Marcus Stroud. One gap penetrators are the quicker DT's. Think Warren Sapp. These guys rely on their quickness and speed to get penetration into the oppnents backfield. They don't play the man in front of them so much as they try to beat the O-Lineman to the gap at the snap of the ball. Stregnth is less of a factor for these guys, although still a consideration. they generally generate more of a pass rush due to their quickness.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »