Home

Some General Notes

This is a discussion on Some General Notes within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Some General Notes

Like most I suspect I am endlessly drafting, re drafting and going through the early stages of the season while awaiting the patch to begin in earnest all the wonderful things in this game.

1. A designer note or comment made mention of negotiating contracts and bonuses. The comment was something on the order of trying to get the lowest bonus number past the player. The way I understand the bidding process is that you are bidding on a total package minus possible incentives. If that is the case then the lowest bonus isn't always the lowest possbile initial cap hit that you can incur. If you won Terrell Suggs with 54 million total it might be to your cap advantage to plug in a high bonus into that number to lower the yearly salary numbers concurrently. Of course if you have to cut Suggs in three years the accelerated cap hit will be higher due to the larger bonus remaining to be amortized.

I try and structure the rookies with lower bonuses due to their unknown factor and structure the younger veteran free agents with higher bounus numbers.

2. I love the game concept of "learned plays" and "playbooks" but would like that carried over a little more to drafting...that is a guy that played in a 3-4 in college having trouble picking up a 4-3 in the pros.

3. The running numbers don't make a whole lot of sense to me but I think I understand the design elelments behind it. The plays where the back is banging around for seeming eternity in a whole appear to me to be the dreaded "unlearned" plays and you either coach those up in practice or learn to not call them yet.

4. The future...I'd like to see more of a robust play design system...or at least a double team block command.

And I'd really like to be able to trade a draft pick from two or three years hence to move up in a draft.

Thanks for the start to what I think will be the game I have always wanted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Some General Notes

imnho, if you havent even gotten out of preseason

you've barely gotten a feel for the game at all

what you guys should be doing is just playing it out cuz the patch is MINOR at best

....no sense waiting for it at all "to begin in earnest"
Old 08-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Um... I'm guessing his copy crashes every game... the patch is a pretty big deal for that
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omroth
Um... I'm guessing his copy crashes every game... the patch is a pretty big deal for that
..and you got that from his post, how?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 33

No workaround crashes yet I believe.

Just restart a new season. Game is worth it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Having a large bonus is good only if you are going to keep that guy for the length of his deal, otherwise if you need to cut people to free up cap space, you'll be caught in a bind because a large bonus will make the player effectively uncuttable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »