Home

Old 09-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
punting

i am in the last week of the season with dallas and every single time ipunt my punter punts it out of the end zone never angling it towards the sideline or even kicking it short of the end zone mcbriar is a 93 ovr what do i need to do to get him to try to pin them inside the 20
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: punting

Most of the time punts go into the end zone but the last game 3 where downed inside the five (two against me and one for.) I've never seen a coffin corner although I've seen some go out of bounds outside the 20 yard line.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

I haven't seen any coffin corners, but I have had a few downed on me inside the 5. I can't say it is too bad, but I have seen people kick it out of bounds way early (like the 30 yard line). I am assuming that a really high kicking accuracy might solve this? I know with punt power the lower ratings make the kicker an absolute mess. I know Matt Turk is 40, but his kick power of 80 got him to average 29 yards a punt. He was cut half way through the season. Sort of annoying. I understand the desire to show the difference between elite players and then average, etc. But only being able to punt 29 yards is a bit much. Anyone in the NFL that could only punt 29 yards would, well, not be in the NFL.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Honestly, not many teams these days go for coffin corner punts. The practice has largley gone out of style in both the NFL and in college football. Most teams prefer their punters to try and 'pooch' kick the ball (a high, short kick) in the hopes of either a fair catch within the 10 yard line, or the ball landing near the endzone and kicking backwards for the cover team to down inside the 10.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

I have seen a couple of coffin corners.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Plus with the advent of the premiere kick/punt returner ala Hester many teams have taken to just kicking it away. Its just safer to keep it out of their hands altogether and avoid any possible chance of a return.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Jeff Feagles is my punter and he is great at pinning the other team in if we're kicking from about the 45 or 50, mainly just because his leg is so weak he can't really kick any further and the ball always dies at like the 5. The negative is if you're backed up you're going to be giving the other team great position because he can only kick like 30-35 yards. I have considered a change, but he is awesome at pinning a team down.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

I went the other route. I chose to release my punter who averaged 29 yards for a punter who can get 45+. While the potential to pin the opponent was nice, I prefer to net more than 15 yards on a punt. While no punter should max at 29 yards I was faced with a coach's decision and I made my choice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »