Home

GM stuff (salary cap and contracts)

This is a discussion on GM stuff (salary cap and contracts) within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: GM stuff (salary cap and contracts)

Also, I'm the Raiders as well. I cut Russell because I didn't want to be paying him that, signed him to a 1 year, and he fell apart. Josh Johnson (From the draft) had me doing pretty well, btw.

Terd sands is just that. I nuked him, moved Richardson over to DT, and found myself an unsigned edge rusher that didn't suck. My defense is solid, even though my depth is terrible.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 9

Cut those guys early and plan on having very little cap space for a couple of years, but don't cut too many guys the same year or you will not be able to field a team.

IMO the Raiders are almost impossible, which shows just what kind of idiot Al was in giving the retreads so much money.

McFadden is awesome though, IMO the best RB in the game.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

I know what you're saying. I have a chance to actually go to the superbowl this season imo with the raiders (4-2) but I may not be able to field a team next year lol. Either that or the team will fall apart.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I know what you're saying. I have a chance to actually go to the superbowl this season imo with the raiders (4-2) but I may not be able to field a team next year lol. Either that or the team will fall apart.
cool, you guys are making me excited I'm starting my next franchise with da raiduhs.

I convinced myself to start in the pre-season too...so we'll see what happens. I'm still transferring all my info to my spreadsheet and doing my initial roster analysis before I start training camp.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
cool, you guys are making me excited I'm starting my next franchise with da raiduhs.

I convinced myself to start in the pre-season too...so we'll see what happens. I'm still transferring all my info to my spreadsheet and doing my initial roster analysis before I start training camp.
what sort of things do you put in the spreadsheet?

Do you create it to keep track of contracts and salaries?

Speaking of these things, I guessing since someone mentioned i can only fire the GM during the offseason, that this would be the case for the rest of the coaching staff. If so I could really use a couple of key replacements there - the thing is I don't see a page that tells me how much they are being paid and for how long - that kind of stuff, so that's really hard to plan for (assuming you can fiddle with that stuff).

It will be a while before I find out since I started in the preseason because I didn't want to go through a draft to make things TOO different from this years real NFL rosters.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
what sort of things do you put in the spreadsheet?

Do you create it to keep track of contracts and salaries?

Speaking of these things, I guessing since someone mentioned i can only fire the GM during the offseason, that this would be the case for the rest of the coaching staff. If so I could really use a couple of key replacements there - the thing is I don't see a page that tells me how much they are being paid and for how long - that kind of stuff, so that's really hard to plan for (assuming you can fiddle with that stuff).

It will be a while before I find out since I started in the preseason because I didn't want to go through a draft to make things TOO different from this years real NFL rosters.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-tracking.html

and no, coaching staff are not hired for "years" it is a personality thing mostly, after each season you and the owner (he'll suggest) will go through each member of the staff and you say keep or dump'em for each one.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
TCF
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
I'm not the best at the GM type stuff. Is there any way to free up salary cap room w/ releasing a player?

Since I'm the raiders and Walter at qb is doing a great job, i'm not playing russel - am I stuck w/ his rediculous contract?

Also, can I iniciate contract negotiations myself, or do I have to wait for a clipboard notification?

Same question for firing the GM - I'm supposed to do that and can't see where to do it.

Thanks in advance.
(I think i may have screwed the pooch w/ money, but at least I'll go deep in the playoffs for year 1, which is pretty good)
see here is the thing that i do have a problem with. I don't believe that Head Coaches do negotiate the contracts that is up to the GM and the player and his agent. I would rather defer all contract talks to the GM. I like being asked who to go after in FA, and who will be our Franchise guy, and which RFA's to tender the contracts too. But as for talking about how much money they make that is up to the GM solely. I suck at money in trying to save it and i cannot get the hang of it with this game.

As for firing the GM that should be up to the owners choice not mine. If i say fire the GM then owner's approval rating goes down for me. I would like to be solely in charge of hiring my coaching staff and let the owner do the dirty work on whether or not the GM stays or goes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCF
see here is the thing that i do have a problem with. I don't believe that Head Coaches do negotiate the contracts that is up to the GM and the player and his agent. I would rather defer all contract talks to the GM. I like being asked who to go after in FA, and who will be our Franchise guy, and which RFA's to tender the contracts too. But as for talking about how much money they make that is up to the GM solely. I suck at money in trying to save it and i cannot get the hang of it with this game.

As for firing the GM that should be up to the owners choice not mine. If i say fire the GM then owner's approval rating goes down for me. I would like to be solely in charge of hiring my coaching staff and let the owner do the dirty work on whether or not the GM stays or goes.
TCF, you can try what I'm trying this career. I thought of the same thing and thought for additional realism I would leave all contract negotiations to the GM.

So I went to the clipboard, selected the Contract tab and put everything on Delegate, cleared all of the Show Me's so I don't even hear about it.

Now I did a couple of test runs to see if it worked when I was still with the Bills and it seemed like I couldn't get it to work. I wrote Josh and he said he didn't have a problem with it, so I started my career with the Raiders. I just created my coach and saved, didn't do anything else, and I noticed McFadden was not on my roster (I started pre-season not off-season) Josh informed me that he was on the updated roster, just not signed yet...so I thought perfect.

So I put the speed on Fast and just kept dismissing everything that came up including games and checking my roster....training camp goes by still no McFadden on my team. Cut Days come and go I and just use the GM suggestion and go on, trying to get through everything as quick as possible...still no McFadden signed. P.S. Game 1 and Cut Day comes and go...still no McFadden. P.S. Game 2 and cut Day comes and go stilll no McFadden

Then it hits me... with each cut day, my roster is FULL!!! So of course McFadden can't be signed! (The main reason I'd like drafted players to show up on the roster as "Unsigned"!!)

So I cut like 30 players lol...so I'm a good 10 below even the 53 minimum....still no McFadden

P.S. Game 3 and cut day goes by and still no McFadden. Game 4 and final cut day comes and goes and STILL no McFadden... so I say wth, I'll keep going, and sure enough on the Thursday before our first regular season game he shows up!!!!

Now, was this a case of a hold out? Bad negotiating? I don't know, but like I said I was looking for realism and not wanting to be involved in contract talks...so...I'll adjust to whatever happens. Unfortunately I was so excited I forgot to see how much $$$$ he was signed for and I didn't save anyway, so it'll be interesting if I have the roster room from the beginning this time if he gets signed any earlier! lol....oh well. But the two major things I learned

1) Make sure you have room on your roster for anyone you need to sign if you're going to let the GM handle contracts.

2) Make sure you have enough cap room

This is scary, but I like the aspect and I love that you can pretty much turn anything on or off that you do or don't want to delegate. Nice feature. Ok, now I have about 5 hours of homework to do then the rest of the weekend is ALL HC woot

oh, one last thing...can't you delegate hiring/firing staff also on the clipboard? not sure but check that out to see.

Last edited by SloeyEZ; 09-12-2008 at 12:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »