Home

You're Fired!

This is a discussion on You're Fired! within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
You're Fired!

Well, I finished my first full season of HC last night playing as the Falcons. I ended up going 6-10 with an approval of 29, and I got fired. I have a few questions based on some findings:

1) My approval tanked in the last two weeks. It went from 71 to 46 in one week after I lost to the Bucs. I am curious why the drop was so drastic, hadn't happened before. Could it have anything to do with that loss having been what eliminated me from the playoffs? I accidentally dismissed the approval change detail screen. I also had a wierd ending to that game where it prompted me for a defining moment even though the game had just ended. I had to choose something and I'm not sure if that had a negative effect.

2) I saved the game after I took the Bears job and saved it as a new franchise. I then reloaded my old save two days before getting fired and I wasn't fired this time. I did it a 2nd time, and again, I wasn't fired. Is there a random element to whether or not you get fired or was the landscape different enough as far as other teams results that week in the playoffs and their decision to fire their coach? Does the CPU ownership take what other head coaches are available to hire when deciding if you should be fired? I also noticed that when I reloaded and wasn't fired I looked at other open positions and they were different each time (except Al Davis made sure to always fire Lane Kiffin).

I really didn't want to get fired. I got to know my players, what they could do and I had lots of plans for how to improve the team. But oh well, life goes on. I ended up taking a job with the Bears, they fired Lovie and he retired.

Last edited by x1Blumpkin1x; 09-14-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: You're Fired!

Just a thought, was your preseason promise to finish above .500?

that would explain why going to 6-9 would tank your approval rating
Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

if you take over a bad team always make your preseason promise at least 3 games or below 500, that way if you do good your rating will drastically rise, and if you do bad it was expected. only problem with this is that you start off with a low approval rating
Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Pro

I did make the mistake of promising .500 or better. The owner's expectation was .500 or below, which I saw when he fired me. The effect of my failed promise was -8. I also lost 25 approval from the owner because I didn't end the season with an overall approval of 80.

I have to double check but I think my huge drop actually may have happened after the 14th game when I lost to the Bucs and was 6-8. That was when I was eliminated from playoff contention. If it was the week I went 6-9, that makes sense as it guarantees I cannot go .500 so maybe that was taken into consideration when calculating the new approval.

I definitely think it makes more sense to be realistic with expectations and not blow smoke up the *** of your owner. You can make up the approval drop during the season, and getting hit at the end of the season with numerous failed goals can really screw you.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Rookie

Kingfish's Arena

OVR: 5

The bucs also are a rivalry game for the Falcons...if it was a blowout, that could explain it too. I've lost rivalry games by 14+ and get 20+ pts ripped off my approval .

If it was season 1, then the "crush the bucs" game is actually in the first half of the season...so that shouldn't have added to it...but ya never know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Pro

I'm sure there are numerous reasons I took a big drop in approval. I was curious if anyone (or maybe a dev could elaborate) had noticed a significant drop, or even specific text in the post game result screen, due to being eliminated from the playoffs. I screwed up by accidentally dismissing it.

If it hadn't been for that loss I would still be the Falcons' coach. But that is the way the NFL works, I am ok with having been fired.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1Blumpkin1x
I'm sure there are numerous reasons I took a big drop in approval. I was curious if anyone (or maybe a dev could elaborate) had noticed a significant drop, or even specific text in the post game result screen, due to being eliminated from the playoffs. I screwed up by accidentally dismissing it.

If it hadn't been for that loss I would still be the Falcons' coach. But that is the way the NFL works, I am ok with having been fired.
having a tough season only builds character and will make winning the superbowl for you

that much sweeter

so which team hired you? LOL there's always someone there waiting..
Old 09-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
Pro

I ended up going with the Bears. My other choices were the Dolphins, Raiders and Redskins. I think there may have been another team but I don't remember who.

Sporano got fired after one season and retired. Guess he had enough Parcells.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »