Home

Aligning your Team Philosophy with Coordinators

This is a discussion on Aligning your Team Philosophy with Coordinators within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
Aligning your Team Philosophy with Coordinators

Just wondering if there is any advantage to aligning your team philosophy to the philosophies of your position coaches and coordinators? I just made it through my first offseason and I was unpleasantly surprised to find that I had no way of seeing the coaches philosophies before signing them. I ended up signing an OC with a power running philosophy when I had previously been running a west coast system. Thats not a big deal, in fact I was planning on moving in that direction eventually anyway. But I had kind of wanted it to be a slower process. So my question is, should I change all of my team philosophies or should I just keep them the same even though they dont match up with my new OCs.

On a related note, my playbook hasnt changed, so will it really make any difference in the players performance if I change my philosophy? For example, I already switched my HB philosophy to "power back" from "recieving back" and it plummeted Felix Jones down to a 71 overall. But since my playbook hasnt changed, can I expect him to perform any differently? (I'm assuming my playbook wont change, from what I've read on here about getting plays from newly hired coordinators. Apparantly there is supposed to be a prompt that lets you take plays from the coordinators playbook, but that prompt never came up for me.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Aligning your Team Philosophy with Coordinators

your player philosophy only changes what your ratings for them are. to help you find the type of players that you want. like Reggie Bush is a great receiving back but a horrible power back. his actual abilities don't change depending on my philosophy, only his ratings change showing how well he fits into my system.
does that answer your question?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:47 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11

yeah, thats basically what i thought.

its just kind of confusing that there are these new coaches for you to sign who all have thier own systems, yet when you sign them nothing changes on your team. i feel like i am missing something. if you want to change systems, you should just be able to hire a new coordinator and maybe make a few philosophy changes of your own. you shouldnt have to go in a create a new playbook. otherwise whats the point of getting a new coordinator? you could just as easily change your system and keep your coordinator.

....just feels like im missing something here.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think, but don't know for sure, that the coach philosophy will affect the play calling. I had an OC who was Power Running but I had installed a Spread playbook. After a couple of games I went and switched the philosophy from Power Run to Spread and it seemed to me that he began calling more QB and end runs and fewer inside HB runs.

I don't know if this was related to the change in philosophy or something else though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »