Home

New to the game.

This is a discussion on New to the game. within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
New to the game.

Hi over the last couple of days I have been reading information on this forum because I FINALLY got nfl head coach 09. I live in Australia and only recently realised that the PS3 is region free.

I'm absolutely loving this game, but I'm finding it quite challenging. Because I live in Australia I have very little exposure to what goes into nfl schemes, namely on defense. So I'm finding myself getting my butt kicked quite soundly in most games (I'm 4-8 on the season).
This may infact be a result of me choosing the Miami Dolphins as they had possibly the worst roster. But since taking the mantel I, according to the GM screen have the 6th most talented team.

I added the sliders from the "my contribution to the sliders" thread and I do see the game running a bit better, but I'm still struggling. I figured early in the season I would suck because of the lack of knowledge my players have of the playbook as I brought in Ryans 46 and Mcdaniels offense. But I actually faired better early in the season, surprisingly starting off 2-0 after two last minute field goals.

I'm reading through ebongreens observation thread too but I just thought I'd post here and introduce myself and see if people had any pointers to do with effective plays regardless of scheme.

Also, are the games always meant to be so nerve rackingly close? I find myself get more emotional then my in game coach, the players don't react well to that haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: New to the game.

Welcome to the game! I know how frustrating it can be. I have been playing this game for 2 years...but I love it! One thing to look at is your coaches. This game relies on coaches quite a bit because you dont actually control the players. There are quite a few good threads on here about different defensive schemes and I would suggest going through them.

Also...the 1st season is awful until you can start to correct these things. Most of us actually sim the 1st season so we can address the coach issues...

But remember there is much more that impacts how well your team does. Player skills...player knowledge...health...and your coaches abilities are to name a few.

Just ask away and we will try to help.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Rookie

Thank you for the reply, glad to be here.

Update
So I ended up my entire day yesterday going over my playbook and finishing the season up 7-9 which I am very happy with.

I deleted a lot of plays from my playbook which had low success rates and just happened to be terrible. I don't call all the plays, I designate half to my coordinators, so some of the plays I noticed I didn't like were hard to find. I am definitely doing better on the field

I let go of my o line coach, defensive coordinator and trainer. However I ended up having to sign a worse DC, I guess that's what happens when you take a risk haha.

I feel like I had a successful draft. I played Madden 10 quite a bit so I recognised guys like freddie bates, although he was a lot better rated in madden. I also managed to bag the sleeper TE Bird and he is excelling in my first preseason game as I type this.

My only regrets coming out of the draft was trading my 1st rounder to NE who then went on to pick Ozzie Jones. He didn't fit my scheme as I am focusing on a pass heavy offense, but I definitely did not want to have to face him twice a season.

One last thing I went ahead and did was changing quarter length to 10. I'm getting more realistic stats now.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Light
Thank you for the reply, glad to be here.

Update
So I ended up my entire day yesterday going over my playbook and finishing the season up 7-9 which I am very happy with.

I deleted a lot of plays from my playbook which had low success rates and just happened to be terrible. I don't call all the plays, I designate half to my coordinators, so some of the plays I noticed I didn't like were hard to find. I am definitely doing better on the field

I let go of my o line coach, defensive coordinator and trainer. However I ended up having to sign a worse DC, I guess that's what happens when you take a risk haha.

I feel like I had a successful draft. I played Madden 10 quite a bit so I recognised guys like freddie bates, although he was a lot better rated in madden. I also managed to bag the sleeper TE Bird and he is excelling in my first preseason game as I type this.

My only regrets coming out of the draft was trading my 1st rounder to NE who then went on to pick Ozzie Jones. He didn't fit my scheme as I am focusing on a pass heavy offense, but I definitely did not want to have to face him twice a season.

One last thing I went ahead and did was changing quarter length to 10. I'm getting more realistic stats now.
As an FYI, you'll get the most realistic stats at default quarter length. Default quarter length also enables accelerated clock. So, even though you dropped to 10 mins a quarter you may only be slightly less in overall length and quantity of plays than the default.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Rookie

Oh ok.

I just noticed I had way too much passing offense with it set to default (over 200 receptions for my number wr). But since dropping it hasn't been that crazy.

I have a question to do with press coverage. Do you always have to adjust to it, or are some plays automatically in press?
I was just curious cause I signed Nhamdi and he is a good press corner.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

Are you simming, super-simming, or playing the games? I know playing the games takes a while (like 90 minutes!) so it can be a little time consuming.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Rookie

I always play the game. After all, that's the reason I bought it

If anyone is curious I could post up my roster and stats etc. I have a killer front 7. Maybe even my playbook.
If someone could tell me a few good createable plays, either offense or defense that would be great.

I currently have a "go to" slew of plays on both offense and defense that I wrote down and it seems to be helping. I've started off season 2 with 1-1 record. Win coming from the houston texans and the lose coming from that damn good tampa bay bucs team. 7 picks in that game, I had no answers.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

There is a forum that some of us use to post our teams and things about our dynasties. There are not many active threads on it anymore. But some of them make for good reads and a place to get ideas about things to try.

I for one would love to see your rosters

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »