Home

Note to the developers

This is a discussion on Note to the developers within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Note to the developers

It sounds like another patch is out of the question, or at least a longshot. That is a shame, because the game could shine alot brighter with relatively little effort.

Reading the posts of experienced players and having played a couple of dozen games myself, there is one major flaw that is killing this game: the passing game goes crazy sometimes. I have played plenty of games where everything turned out pretty realistic, but I have played plenty of games were 3rd and 20 situations were worse for the defense than 3rd and 2.

I think this situation rises out of playbook, philosophy, and being down on score. If you have a vertical passing team that is down by more than 10 points, the game just goes nuts. Joe Scrub can pass for 400 yards and hit 3 TDs in one half.

Sure, I think the game could be improved in many ways, mostly streamlining the in-game screens, BUT this is optional to me. The pass game going crazy is a critical bug.

Thus I propose a simple solution: by default in 3rd and long situations the defense automatically gets the pass rush and coverage gameplan boosts. Maybe this could also stack with any other boost the player has for that play?

Its a bandaid that might or might not work, but I am just trying to think of a simple solution that is already built into the game. As it stands, I hate playing vertical passing teams, it really hurts the game.

Another simple option would be to make changes to certain sliders more profound. How hard would it be to make the WR catching slider work correctly? Make the break block slider more effective, this might increase the pass rush.

I am not sure of your exact situation, but it isn't right to walk away from such a flawed project. I am normally a PC gamer, so I am not used to the "you're simply screwed" mentality that console gamers have to put up with all of the time.

If this game would have been released on PC and made relatively easy to mod, it would have a life span of years. Unfortunately, we are probably just screwed. I know its just a business and they already have my money, so that is that I suppose.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Note to the developers

swatter555:

I agree with you that the game should not be left like this, but Josh stated no more patch. Yes, it is a shame. The game can be much better with another patch. I actually moved on and rarely play the game anymore. Maybe here and there, but not as much as before. The game became short live for me.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14

My only hope for actual football this year... gone. I was actually considering this game.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8

Don't let that deter you from getting this. It is still a great game, and can be gotten cheaply.

Does it have some flaws? Yes, but what game doesn't?

All in all, it is one of the best football games on the market
Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoiseySoulja
My only hope for actual football this year... gone. I was actually considering this game.

It's a good game. The best so far in many, many years. I just have (3) issues that drive me crazy about the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

HC 09 is a great football game, don't let the few blemishes it has fool you.

Some of the issues peole complain about can be fixed by not pumpin gup your staff too much.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

I agree it is a great game and don't want people to get the wrong idea from my post. Get the game if your a FBPro person, there are none better. The passing stats during games played out can be off, but more times than not they are fine (or mostly reasonable). I have played more realistic text games true, but I love the mix of realism and madden graphics. The other areas of the game are awesome and more than make up for the flaws displayed at times during a game(I say that most of the time).

I am just angry that with some work, maybe a couple of weeks for two people, a beta patch could be released that makes the sliders more useful. I am not saying fix the flaws, but fix the sliders to where we the players can make something we can live with. At least make some sort of text file that can be edited that deals with various aspects of gameplay. This file probably already exists, just let the modders have access to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp
HC 09 is a great football game, don't let the few blemishes it has fool you.

Some of the issues peole complain about can be fixed by not pumpin gup your staff too much.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoiseySoulja
Definitley try it out since its pretty cheap these days. If your a fan of Franchise play and don't mind not controlling the players gameday you'll be hooked. Most of the negative feedback is just venting. There's nothing in the game thats a gamebreaker. My only complaint is i wish it was on PC, so we can have some mods.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »