Home

Tips for Running the Ball Effectively?

This is a discussion on Tips for Running the Ball Effectively? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Tips for Running the Ball Effectively?

I've managed to get most of HC down pretty well, but I have trouble running the ball effectively. I'd like to not have to supersim to be able to run, because I'm trying to run a two back system and supersimming doesn't allow for substitutions.

It seems early in my career, on almost every team I've used, I can't get the running game working. Is this due to my team's relatively low play knowledge. On my Bears in particular, every offensive linemen but Kreutz has had less than two years on the team. Will a good running game come with consistency on the OL?

What's a good playbook to run from? I'm using the Shanahan zone block scheme which uses alot of single back stretch run plays. I can only get any semblance of a run game going if I use the I and strong I formations alot? Is there a specific type of RB I'm supposed to use? My OL's philosophy is size/strength/engulfer for OGs and OTs and Zone Block for my C. Should they all be Zone Block?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Tips for Running the Ball Effectively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
I've managed to get most of HC down pretty well, but I have trouble running the ball effectively. I'd like to not have to supersim to be able to run, because I'm trying to run a two back system and supersimming doesn't allow for substitutions.

It seems early in my career, on almost every team I've used, I can't get the running game working. Is this due to my team's relatively low play knowledge. On my Bears in particular, every offensive linemen but Kreutz has had less than two years on the team. Will a good running game come with consistency on the OL?

What's a good playbook to run from? I'm using the Shanahan zone block scheme which uses alot of single back stretch run plays. I can only get any semblance of a run game going if I use the I and strong I formations alot? Is there a specific type of RB I'm supposed to use? My OL's philosophy is size/strength/engulfer for OGs and OTs and Zone Block for my C. Should they all be Zone Block?
Running the game generally is much harder than it should be. I'm in my 5th season, and I'm just now close to a solid run game. (And I have 5 90+ OL and Marshawn Lynch)
Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I find it pretty easy, though I have a pretty good offensive line, and Reggie Bush just accelerating through some pretty gaping holes.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 11

try bumping the rb ability and run block sliders up. these really do work if you mess with them right. i think ive got mine set somewhere around 75 or 80...just play with them until you find a level that you like
Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 13

Im starting to think big formations are the way to go. I also run Shanahans offense and the inside runs work a couple of times but after that they seem to key on it. So it then becomes beneficial to have that extra blocker. For the last couple of games I ran goal line and the Near off tackle play. For the reason I mentioned above about the defense keying on the run, the counters become very vulnerable to the unblocked man when a guard is pulling.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »