Home

A few questions from a newbie :)

This is a discussion on A few questions from a newbie :) within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
A few questions from a newbie :)

Hey guys, im new to this board but I just purchased the game yesterday and am just waiting for my 360 to arrive.

Anyway, I have been looking through some topics here and there but I still have a few questions and it would be greatly appreciate if someone could help me out.

1) Can you download updated rosters and/or draft classes?

2) I read that there's a patch that fixes some problems. Is there only one patch thus far?

3) I watched a video showing the option to start with the 2008 pre-season or before the start of free agency months earlier. If I start with FA, will every team will be as they were before FA started? For example, is DE Jared Allen still on the Chiefs?

Also, are the players who were franchised last year (Terrell Suggs, etc.) already franchised or is it up to you?

4) Is it possible to start with the Draft instead of FA or must you go through FA first?

5) When hiring/firing a coaching staff, is it possible to hire a coordinator from another team despite him still being under contract or do you have to give up a draft pick or something as compensation?

6) Are Restricted Free Agents (RFA) in the game? And if so, what are the levels that you can tender them at?

Thats pretty much it for now. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: A few questions from a newbie :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
Hey guys, im new to this board but I just purchased the game yesterday and am just waiting for my 360 to arrive.

Anyway, I have been looking through some topics here and there but I still have a few questions and it would be greatly appreciate if someone could help me out.

1) Can you download updated rosters and/or draft classes?

2) I read that there's a patch that fixes some problems. Is there only one patch thus far?

3) I watched a video showing the option to start with the 2008 pre-season or before the start of free agency months earlier. If I start with FA, will every team will be as they were before FA started? For example, is DE Jared Allen still on the Chiefs?

Also, are the players who were franchised last year (Terrell Suggs, etc.) already franchised or is it up to you?

4) Is it possible to start with the Draft instead of FA or must you go through FA first?

5) When hiring/firing a coaching staff, is it possible to hire a coordinator from another team despite him still being under contract or do you have to give up a draft pick or something as compensation?

6) Are Restricted Free Agents (RFA) in the game? And if so, what are the levels that you can tender them at?

Thats pretty much it for now. Thanks.
1, Roster Yes, Draft Classes no.

The way Draft Classes work is that their is four distinct "Paths" In total 60 Draft classes (15 years is the max) of the created players. You randomly get one of the 4, and from there, each class is set in stone.

2, I believe there is only one patch. I never played pre-patch, but I know the patch fixed some key issues.

3, I'm not sure. I think trades before the Draft go through. I know Jared Allen and Shaun Rogers are on their newest teams, with KC/DET getting picks. But I'm not sure it's everyone.

Franchising a player is one of the first thing you do, it's our choice to use it or not.

4, If you start from the offseason, the free agency and scouting is before the Draft.

5, Unfortunately, you can't take coaches still on other teams. It's a flaw in the game, and it leads to a LOT of re-treads at other teams HC spots. (i.e. Norv Turner)

6, Yes, it's set up like reality (to my knowledge) 4 tender levels, (Lowest is for the pick they were chosen with, others are 2nd, 1st, and 1st/3rd.)
Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNFL_FanIQ
1, Roster Yes, Draft Classes no.

The way Draft Classes work is that their is four distinct "Paths" In total 60 Draft classes (15 years is the max) of the created players. You randomly get one of the 4, and from there, each class is set in stone.
Roster update wise, do you know if Shaun Hill is rated higher than J.T. O'Sullivan on the 49ers with the final update?

Draft class wise, if I get Path A for example and start listing players, people here will know who im talking about if they had a draft class from Path A, correct?

Quote:
2, I believe there is only one patch. I never played pre-patch, but I know the patch fixed some key issues.
Thats good to know. I read the other topic stating what the patch fixes and definitely seems like a must download.

Quote:
3, I'm not sure. I think trades before the Draft go through. I know Jared Allen and Shaun Rogers are on their newest teams, with KC/DET getting picks. But I'm not sure it's everyone.

Franchising a player is one of the first thing you do, it's our choice to use it or not.
If the Allen trade is done, im looking forward to having those extra draft picks. Regarding franchised players, will the CPU franchise players that were franchised in reality (like the Ravens tagging Suggs) or is it all just random?

Quote:
4, If you start from the offseason, the free agency and scouting is before the Draft.
Yeah, that I know but I wasnt sure if you can skip FA and go straight to the Draft or if you start from FA. Now, I know that you automatically start from FA.

Quote:
5, Unfortunately, you can't take coaches still on other teams. It's a flaw in the game, and it leads to a LOT of re-treads at other teams HC spots. (i.e. Norv Turner)
Wait - you mean that a HC from one team will leave and go to another or there's two Norv Turner's?

Quote:
6, Yes, it's set up like reality (to my knowledge) 4 tender levels, (Lowest is for the pick they were chosen with, others are 2nd, 1st, and 1st/3rd.)
Awesome!!! Cant wait!!!

Thanks for the help and information. Its greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
MVP

1, Note that the roster updates only applies to when you start in the preseason. If you start in the offseason, it doesn't. (Not a big deal, other than Favre being out and Strahan still in) From offseason, I remember Hill around 75, and I think O'Sullivan was worse, never signed him. From preseason, O'Turnover is probably better since it's updated as of like week 4.

2, For the most part. Some of the players do get random names (Lower end) but the same studs appear for everyone. A name you've probably seen around here is "Zazzali" He's a QB in year one of one of the paths, for anyone who gets that line.

3, The CPU does franchise people, but it decides based on AI. (Suggs, for example, was a free agent in my first year)

4, Coaches can't be hired from elsewhere. They can decide to leave, but it's not too common. The coordinators and coaches who get fired or leave are the only one who can become HC because they are free agents.

Some high end coordinators (Rob and Rex Ryan for example) will get canned, and ultimately become head coaches. But a lot of fired HCs just essentially swap teams. On mine, Norv has been the HC of the Chargers, Rams, Browns, and Lions over 6 seasons.

It's a little disappointing, but overall I think the game is outstanding.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
1, Note that the roster updates only applies to when you start in the preseason. If you start in the offseason, it doesn't. (Not a big deal, other than Favre being out and Strahan still in) From offseason, I remember Hill around 75, and I think O'Sullivan was worse, never signed him. From preseason, O'Turnover is probably better since it's updated as of like week 4.

2, For the most part. Some of the players do get random names (Lower end) but the same studs appear for everyone. A name you've probably seen around here is "Zazzali" He's a QB in year one of one of the paths, for anyone who gets that line.

3, The CPU does franchise people, but it decides based on AI. (Suggs, for example, was a free agent in my first year)

4, Coaches can't be hired from elsewhere. They can decide to leave, but it's not too common. The coordinators and coaches who get fired or leave are the only one who can become HC because they are free agents.

Some high end coordinators (Rob and Rex Ryan for example) will get canned, and ultimately become head coaches. But a lot of fired HCs just essentially swap teams. On mine, Norv has been the HC of the Chargers, Rams, Browns, and Lions over 6 seasons.

It's a little disappointing, but overall I think the game is outstanding.
1) Any way to fix the Favre/Strahan problem and is the roster update from week four the ONLY roster update available to download? 75 for Hill isnt bad and im happy that he's rated higher than Sullivan.

2) Zazzali??? LOL. Sounds like a pizza.

3) Hopefully Suggs will be a UFA when I start my franchise with the 49ers. I've been hoping for him for two years in reality and know that it's not going to happen but hopefully, I'll be able to sign him in FA.

4) The coaching aspect sounds kind of crappy because it doesnt seem like there's much change and one HC going to a different team (like Turner) every year isnt realistic at all. Oh well.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions as its greatly appreciated and im sure I'll be asking more once I get the system and I start playing.

Thanks again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

Suggs is usually not franchised. I love him, he is such a beast.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
1) Any way to fix the Favre/Strahan problem and is the roster update from week four the ONLY roster update available to download? 75 for Hill isnt bad and im happy that he's rated higher than Sullivan.

2) Zazzali??? LOL. Sounds like a pizza.

3) Hopefully Suggs will be a UFA when I start my franchise with the 49ers. I've been hoping for him for two years in reality and know that it's not going to happen but hopefully, I'll be able to sign him in FA.

4) The coaching aspect sounds kind of crappy because it doesnt seem like there's much change and one HC going to a different team (like Turner) every year isnt realistic at all. Oh well.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions as its greatly appreciated and im sure I'll be asking more once I get the system and I start playing.

Thanks again.
Nope, why they didn't give us a edit roster button is beyond me. And I think that's the last roster update, I haven't looked back so it could have been updated again, but the old devs kinda abandoned the game and were moved to Madden.

As for the coaching, the in-depth-ness (yes I made that up) of positional coaches and skills is pretty good. But the re-treads get annoying from time to time. You will see some coordinators and created college coaches get HC jobs though.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman41
Suggs is usually not franchised. I love him, he is such a beast.
I get the feeling that he'll be franchised or re-signed just because I want him on my 49ers. LOL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »