Home

Salary Cap Trouble

This is a discussion on Salary Cap Trouble within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Salary Cap Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNFL_FanIQ
Do all you possibly can to minimize signing bonuses. With new contracts to mid-bottom level guys, if you can sign them without any bonus, that's the best, so they can be cut/traded if money needs to be freed.

My philosophy is give the lowest signing bonus possible regardless of player, with one exception. If you have a super stud player who you KNOW you won't ever want to boot regardless of contract (On my season, Patrick Willis was this guy) then you can give more bonus to avoid a high total salary.
Adding to what he said, never never never give your rookies anything more than "Package 1". Some might get pissed and walk out for a week or so, but they will always eventually accept it.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
Yeah i did this. Overdid it in fact. Resigned Wes Welker 7 year with 35 mil bonus. Now hes regressed horribly with 79 speed. Stuck with him till he retires now. Cap figure is already 10 mil
Damn. Thats a big one, I am stuck with Devin Hester's contract, his signing bonus is 10 million so I cant release him. Actually I CAN take the hit because I have enough cap space but I think its best if I wait it out. I can't believe they gave gm such a contract.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonolith
Adding to what he said, never never never give your rookies anything more than "Package 1". Some might get pissed and walk out for a week or so, but they will always eventually accept it.
I always wondered about that. I always start out with the 1st package, but if they hold out for more than a few weeks I get worried and start to budge. I wasn't sure if there is an option for the unsigned rookie to hold out a year and re-enter the draft, resulting in you losing your rights to him. It can happen in real life (Bo Jackson, 1987), but not in the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Couple things i do. Obviously, what has been talked about. I never offer anything else then package 1. For rookies, and veterans. If they dont except my terms, then i go for somebody else. I am very strict when it comes to that. But i choose to offer the lowest salary, with the lowest signing bonus combine...just in case that u do need to trade/release a player.

I also offer incentives to those players i know aren't going to reach them. Like my #4/#5 WR, give him 500k for recieving yards, 500k for receptions, 500k for starting 16 games. U get my drift. By offering incentives to those who cant reach them, u can persuade them into a contract. Only thing is lets say that player develops into a starter, then those incentives are in that players sights. But this has been great for me. Its gotten to a point where not a single player on my roster have incentives tied down with there contract.

Ive also heard of this 1...ive never tried it, so idk.
During the season, u get players that want contract extentions. If you have the cap space, then do what u feel is right for your team. BUT HERE IT IS...WHEN THE PLAYERS NAME COMES UP, AND IT SAYS "CONTRACT NEGOTIATION" U SAVE THE CAREER. THEN U GO INTO THE ROSTER MENU, AND U CHANGE THAT PLAYERS POSITION TO ANOTHER POSITION. THAT WAY THEY WILL ASK FOR WAYYYYYY LESS MONEY, BECUZ THERE VALUE HAS GONE DOWN. WHEN U SIGN THEM TO THERE DEAL, MOVE THEM BACK TO THERE ORIGINAL POSITION, AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. FROM WHAT IVE READ, U CAN SAVE A SH** LOAD OF MONEY ON UR CAP.

DEAD WEIGHT IS ALSO KEY THOUGH. U HAVE TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON UR ROSTER, AND SEE WHO GOES, WHO STAYS...MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE...
Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface12188
Couple things i do. Obviously, what has been talked about. I never offer anything else then package 1. For rookies, and veterans. If they dont except my terms, then i go for somebody else. I am very strict when it comes to that. But i choose to offer the lowest salary, with the lowest signing bonus combine...just in case that u do need to trade/release a player.

I also offer incentives to those players i know aren't going to reach them. Like my #4/#5 WR, give him 500k for recieving yards, 500k for receptions, 500k for starting 16 games. U get my drift. By offering incentives to those who cant reach them, u can persuade them into a contract. Only thing is lets say that player develops into a starter, then those incentives are in that players sights. But this has been great for me. Its gotten to a point where not a single player on my roster have incentives tied down with there contract.

Ive also heard of this 1...ive never tried it, so idk.
During the season, u get players that want contract extentions. If you have the cap space, then do what u feel is right for your team. BUT HERE IT IS...WHEN THE PLAYERS NAME COMES UP, AND IT SAYS "CONTRACT NEGOTIATION" U SAVE THE CAREER. THEN U GO INTO THE ROSTER MENU, AND U CHANGE THAT PLAYERS POSITION TO ANOTHER POSITION. THAT WAY THEY WILL ASK FOR WAYYYYYY LESS MONEY, BECUZ THERE VALUE HAS GONE DOWN. WHEN U SIGN THEM TO THERE DEAL, MOVE THEM BACK TO THERE ORIGINAL POSITION, AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. FROM WHAT IVE READ, U CAN SAVE A SH** LOAD OF MONEY ON UR CAP.

DEAD WEIGHT IS ALSO KEY THOUGH. U HAVE TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON UR ROSTER, AND SEE WHO GOES, WHO STAYS...MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE...
If you want to go down the cheat route, I know you can edit other teams' players. For example, say you want a franchise QB, you can edit, say, Carson Palmer by turning him into a receiver. Once you edit the player you can trade for them (Their overall will usually drop a ton so you don't have to give up more than one late round pick) and then change the player back to their normal position.

But the game's already easy enough without resorting to this.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79

Agreed, the only time I have ever changed a players position on a different team was I was trading for a Rt, but the player I wanted was a LT. I changed his position to RT because my season goal was a RT and even if you change it after you get him it will not register the RT pickup the team was looking for.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79
If you want to go down the cheat route, I know you can edit other teams' players. For example, say you want a franchise QB, you can edit, say, Carson Palmer by turning him into a receiver. Once you edit the player you can trade for them (Their overall will usually drop a ton so you don't have to give up more than one late round pick) and then change the player back to their normal position.

Good 1. I aint really think about that one. But u so right. The game alreade is what it is. LOL...good 1 tho.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Rookie

I'd just like to share an observation of mine.

The difference between the 7th pick and the 9th overall pick in the draft is huge.

Using Keith Rivers as an example: if you pick him up with pick 7, he asks for around 5 years $35 million. If you pick him up with pick 9 he asks for around 5 years $12 million.

That's quite a large difference. My point is try to draft wisely, especially in the 1st round. If there is a guy in the draft that you absolutely love who's projected to go in the upper first round, try as hard as you can to get him to fall to a lower pick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »