Home

Most "Epic" game you've been a part of?

This is a discussion on Most "Epic" game you've been a part of? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 18
Most "Epic" game you've been a part of?

We all have that game that is just unbelievable exciting. I played that game today. Although my first Super Bowl win a long time ago with the Patriots was really exciting, this game takes the cake.

Here it is on my dynasty. I'm the 12-0 Dolphins facing the 11-1 Patriots for the first time in the season. "Game of the century"

What's the most exciting game you've played?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Most "Epic" game you've been a part of?

I was using my Chiefs. It was the AFC Championship game against Peyton Manning and the Colts. My offense, with it's massive offensive line, bruising running game, and tall possession receivers capable of making tough catches over the middle, seemed tailor made to demolish the undersized Colts defensive front. My blitz happy 4-3 Spagnulo pressure defense was similar to the one that helped beat the 07 Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

Our offense got the ball first. Dane Morrow, who had efficiently managed games in his second season as a starter, I assumed would be able to pick apart the simple Cover 2 zone scheme the Colts tended to sit back in through deep posts to the WRs and seam routes to TE Drew Goldman, but the rookie had butterflies in his stomach and was erratic early, throwing 3 INTs. The defense, though only average in the secondary, through a relentless pass rush and stoutness against the one back running sets of the Colts held Peyton Manning in check for most of the game.

After Morrow seemingly tried to throw the game in the first quarter, I kept to my offense's bread and butter, the power running game, to the tune of 280 yards rushing. Through a solid defense that prospered in the red zone and a ball control offense that kept the ball away from the other team's future Hall of Famer, we had managed to stay within a field goal of Peyton Manning going into the final five minutes of the fourth quarter. We, like had done for most of the game, pounded the rock inside from the I, Strong, and 2 TE Singleback formations until we made it to the redzone. Though my rookie had done nothing all give to lead me to believe he could be counted on, I put the ball in his hands for three straight plays. Like many Cover 2 defenses in real life, the Colts tended to toughen up, against the pass especially in the redzone. Almost predictibly, Morrow couldn't complete a pass, so we settled for OT.

Much to my delight, we managed to win the OT coin toss and got the first shot at scoring. Like I had done all game, I unleashed Larry Johnson, Leron James, Casey Barone, and JR Meyers all the way on to the cusp of field goal range. It was a cold, windy day and we were kicking into the wind when Leron James fumbled on the 28 yard line. Peyton Manning completed several huge third and longs, when on our 30 yard line Brandon Flowers intercepted Peyton Manning.

With the ball back in my offense's hands with 8 minutes to go, we rushed our way back into FG range. We were on the fifteen yard line when I finally buckled and just let Star Christiansem take a shot. Naturally, he missed. With four minutes to go and the ball in Peyton Manning's hands, I assumed defeat was immanent, but kept my blitzes coming. Derek Johnson, who had 9 sacks that year, came zooming off the edge and stripped Peyton Manning. We managed to get the ball back on the Colts' 45.

With two minutes to go and my QB who had attempted 8 passes over this entire game, I let him air it out. He hit Dwayne Bowe on a deep post for a 20 yard gain. With all my timeouts still in hand, I allowed my running game to take us all the way inside the 5 yard line and let Star Christiansen redeem himself with the game winning FG.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
MVP

Clarke_311's Arena

OVR: 20

My Eagles were playing the Steelers in Week 3. The game was back and forth the whole time. The Steelers got two field goals in the 4th to tie it, but I put together a great drive with McNabb and take the lead on a Reggie Brown TD was about a minute left.

But back come the Steelers scoring on a 3rd and goal play with 20 seconds left!!! I get the ball with 10 seconds left so I throw a hail mary. Jackson catches it with 0 seconds left at about the 40 but gets interfered with so I get 15 more yards and another play even though the game should be over. So David Akers steps out and boots the game-winning field goal.
Toronto Blue Jays Fan
Philadelphia Eagles Fan
Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
MVP

Clarke_311's Arena

OVR: 20

Just had another great game in Week 4 against the Bears on Sunday night. I'm up 10-7 at the two minute warning, but the Bears and their no-name quarterback (both Orton AND Grossman were hurt) engineered a great drive down the field (seems like my defense always blows the lead late in the game) going no-huddle and taking the lead with 29 seconds left.

I try a couple of passes and both are incomplete. I get a completion on 3rd down to move the chains to the 31. There's only about 10 seconds left so I try a hail mary again. McNabb heaves it down the field and hits Reggie Brown in stride for the game-winning TD as the clock expires.
Toronto Blue Jays Fan
Philadelphia Eagles Fan
Old 05-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke_311
Just had another great game in Week 4 against the Bears on Sunday night. I'm up 10-7 at the two minute warning, but the Bears and their no-name quarterback (both Orton AND Grossman were hurt) engineered a great drive down the field (seems like my defense always blows the lead late in the game) going no-huddle and taking the lead with 29 seconds left.

I try a couple of passes and both are incomplete. I get a completion on 3rd down to move the chains to the 31. There's only about 10 seconds left so I try a hail mary again. McNabb heaves it down the field and hits Reggie Brown in stride for the game-winning TD as the clock expires.
Wow, that's intense. Good stories guys. Seeing CW's makes me wonder if anyone on here has gone double OT?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

Dont remember the long version but i came from 20 points behind to beat the colts in a shootout
Old 05-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Taking my Packers from 17 down with 5 minutes to go against the Bears. A long throw for a TD, a long run, a return for a TD, a 50 yd field goal to tie with no time left.
In OT, I had a pick by C. Steltz when I'm positive the next play would have been the Bears taking a chip shot FG to win. Drove it down the field and got my own chip shot to win it.
I've tried all kinds of playbooks and philosophies. This was the kind of comeback that could only happen if you have an ultra-aggessive secondary playing bump & run and a vertical passing game.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke_311

Caleb Hanie!!?

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »