Home

Tips for Noobie....

This is a discussion on Tips for Noobie.... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Tips for Noobie....

What are some tips without ruining the game for me with spoilers?? I've tried not to read much in here due to spoilers, and think I've done good with that so far. But this game just seems so in depth, and honestly kind of confusing in a way when I'm first getting into it.

I started with the Panthers randomly, started career after the draft, so I have D Williams and all... But what are some minor/major tips that won't ruin the game for me that I could use?

Like, what are things to write down maybe and keep track of, cuz it feels like I need to do something like that, but not sure what to write down. Overall, the game is very very difficult for me, which is good, but I don't ant to get frustrated so quickly and give it up too fast. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Rookie

cocacolaman's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Tips for Noobie....

I just going to play now, haven't played for a while.

Here's what I'll say. Unless your team has a good trainer, they probably won't the first year. You will have a lot of injuries if you are aggresive and don't rest players so make sure you set your team to it in the team philosiphies. Also if using a new playbook your team will struggle until they learn the new plays. But if you kept the playbook you'll be fine.

Number one watch your salary cap. Don't get rid of guys that give you huge cap penalties or you will be strapped for case next year. If someone stinks and you get a huge hit with them then put them at the bottom of your depth chart and wait for their contract to expire.

If trading trade smart, look for low money good players that have long contracts.

Always trade down in the drafts as if you scout good you'll find monster players in later rounds.

Your GM is the key to putting together a good team, make sure your Team Philosiphies match your team though. If you have a offense for a scrambling QB make sure you set the QB you want to be a scrambler etc....if it's set for Fast WR then make sure that's the type of system you have.

Those are the biggest keys. I mean if your team is a pass heavey team with a lot of speed on it, then you won't want a Workhorse or Power RB but rather a Balanced, Fast or Recieving RB same with FB and TE either a Good Route Runner and Hands not a Blocking TE.

In other words that's the most crucial part, make sure Playbook and Team Philosiphy match.

Keep Players rested and play back ups if your trainer stinks. Until you fire them at the end of the season and get a better trainer.

If you have stinky coaches fire them after the year and get better ones.

Your trainer will effect how many injuries you get.
Your GM will effect how well your potentials are and unlock your draft info.
Your Coaches will effect how fast your team learns plays and how quick players develop, keeping in mind that the more more playing time the quicker those happen.

I hope that helps I tried to not spoil anything other than how to run a team the right way.

Also I hardly ever pick up FA's unless I have mad cap room and there's a player I gotta Have, FA's really hit your Salary Cap Hard, while if you draft smart you can build through the draft like mad. But again make sure you set that in the team philosophy set to build through the draft.

In other words that's the most critical part of the game, making sure your team settings match your play book then the players match the system.

Hope that helped.....I'm off to revive the J E T S ....Jets Jets Jets.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Rookie

cocacolaman's Arena

OVR: 4

As far writing down stuff I write down it depends on the draft picks I have and roster spots I have. If I have a ton of players needed I trade down and pick up picks.

I go in first with a list of positions I need filled first.
Then make a list of players I want based on the reports, combine, and scouting.

Other than draft lists there really isn't much else I write down anymore.

But that's what I did when I started, then I wrote everything down and got into scouting the entire drafts....truth be told that was a ton of needless work.

It's more fun to just play the game and draft the best you can. Sure you might grab a dud but if you get a good GM you'll be scouting 10 or more players which will unlock everything about the player....what else do you need???? I will say this if you start scouting all the sleepers other teams catch on and you'll see those sleepers going in the 3rd round or sooner.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

If your new salary cap will be your biggest problem. Don't go on a wild spending spree in fa and always do the first contract option with rookies that you draft. The only exception to this rule is when you draft someone in the first round b/c they will probably not settle for the first option no matter what.

LEARNING stat is important. If players do not learn the playbook they will play below their stats. If they have "mastered" the playbook they will play above. In your first year it is more important to have a couple of mastered plays rather then three dozen "learned" plays which give you no bonus nor negation.

Unlike madden people get hurt here alot. You said no spoilers so i will not reveal anything. All i will say is that your team will probably not have a good trainer and that at somepoint you should consider looking for a new one. If you get really frustrated with injuries and want a good trainer then tell us later and we can reveal some spoilers for you.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolaman
I will say this if you start scouting all the sleepers other teams catch on and you'll see those sleepers going in the 3rd round or sooner.
How do you scout and pick sleepers without letting the other teams catching on?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

I disagree with that. The scouted sleepers stay low. Its the upper and mid range players that scouting affects the most in terms of draft position imo

Just call me Sanchez
Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez_Mareno
I disagree with that. The scouted sleepers stay low. Its the upper and mid range players that scouting affects the most in terms of draft position imo
I concur in my last draft i picked a alot of very good guys in the 5th 6th and 7th round. These players were fully scouted by me and yet they did not go higher then expected.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

During the draft, ignore everything the mock draft has told you. Instead, use the Pick the Pick option during the draft. That will tell you what players the teams are considering picking with each pick. It'll help you to maybe keep from trading up for a player you really want that may well just fall to you if you stay put. Consider trading up when you start seeing the player you want to pick creeping up the list.

As far as cap goes, some of it depends on how much cap room you have. If you have 30 million in cap room, and want to cut a player who is terrible but will cost you 10-15 million in a cap hit, you have the room to cut that player. During the offseason, anyone you cut will count against the cap for that same year, so it's easy to guage how much room you have to play with. Especially if you've seen nothing you really wanted in free agency that season. You can also make some of this cap room up by cutting other players. for example-

You have 30 million in cap space
You cut a player that costs you 15 million in cap room, leaving you 15 million in cap space.
You cut another player that has a 1 million cap hit, but saves you 4 million over that by cutting him. This will add 3 million to the cap room, giving you 18 million.

You don't have to be stuck with high cap players who you don't want unless you have a very low cap number to start out with. In fact, if you have decent cap room, I'll always take the hit. Cutting an overpaid player only affects your cap for one year. It's better a lot of times to take the hit when you can afford it without letting that player eat up a lot of cap space sitting on your bench for several years. Just don't go nuts cutting players.

Also, if you're going to sim games, load up point in playcalling and so on when you create your coach. If you won't be simming much, don't bother with those skills.

Get a good GM and a good trainer ASAP.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »