Home

MUST READ: Most exciting Game EVER

This is a discussion on MUST READ: Most exciting Game EVER within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Thumbs up MUST READ: Most exciting Game EVER

Ok, so let me set the preface for the story: I play as the Dallas Cowboys and have dominated the league over the past few years. During that time, Tampa Bay has also been pretty dominant, only losing at max 2 games per year, blowing past everyone else but then losing to the Cowboys in the playoffs for the past 3 years.

Well, we meet again, in the Conferance Championship game to go to the Super Bowl. I am at home this time. My offense is ranked 9th in the league and defense is ranked 3rd. Tampa has the 7th ranked offense and ranked 1st in defense.

1st Quarter
I always choose to kick to start the game. I force Tampa to go 3 and out and they punt. The Cowboys drive down the field with a 10 yd TD run by Cletus Parker (Future 50 RB). Business as usual.
7-0

Next drive, same thing. Tampa Punt. I marched down the field easily and Felix Jones scores on a 7 yd TD.
14-0

2nd Quarter

Tampa's offense gets into a rhythm and scores on a 7yd pass play.
14-7

Felix Jones has a good return, and I score quickly with a Romo 46 yd TD pass to Jamario Zinger.
21-7

Tampa is still moving on offense, but I hold them to a 39 yd FG with 1 minute left in the half.
21-10.

I move the ball pretty well, but I am running out of time. Last play of the half, Hail Mary....Would you believe it? Romo 48 yd TD to Jamario Zinger with 2 seconds left!
28-10 at Halftime.

3rd Quarter
My team starts to fall apart. My other top receiver, Marques Dantley, is out of the game with a chest injury. My offense can't move the ball, and on top of that...Romo gets injured with a head injury and is also out. Good thing I signed Brian Brohm in free agency for this very purpose. A missed tackle by Mike Jenkins results in a 54 yard Tampa TD pass.
28-17

As my team continues to struggle moving the ball, I get more bad news. Cletus Parker leaves the game with an injury. The next defensive series, Terrance Newman leaves the game with a leg injury...Um, my top players are dropping like flies here....

4th Quarter
Finally got the ball moving with a few good runs by Felix Jones and the Cowboys score a FG.
31-17

More blown coverages in the secondary. I worked so hard to have the 3rd ranked pass defense but the Bucs are just marching over my DB's. 26 yd TD pass by Tampa.
31-24

Ok, so the game is getting close, but my offense is finally clicking. good run by Jones here, good pass by Brohm there, moving in for the score. Then when I'm about to put the game away.......INTERCEPTION! Bucs take it to the house and score 97 yd Int TD return.
31-31

My offense is flat again. I struggle to move the ball and have no choice but to punt with less than 3 minutes remaining, hoping my defense would hold. Nope, it doesn't. The Bucs still march down the field. Marion Barber seeking revenge on me since I traded him two years ago. I manage to hold them on a 3rd and 1, and they kick a 23 yd FG to go ahead with less than 1 minute remaining. Could the hunting demons and the curse of the Cowboys finally be over for the Bucs? Can they finally defeat their arch nemesis and get to the Super Bowl?
31-34

Well, I'm desperate. Nothing has worked the past few drives and I need to score quickly. No timeouts, less than 60 seconds left, and 80 yards to go. I think back to the end of the 1st half and call upon the old Hail Mary...Bingo! I gain about 35 yards but the clock is still ticking. Same play, same result, this time Zinger is dragged down at the 4 yard line! I want to go for the win if I can and there's still about 15 seconds left on the clock. I'm going for it...Shotgun quick slants....the TE is wide open and he.....drops the ball! You sorry @$% stupid #@%$*&! 2 seconds left. I can't take any chances and settle for the 22 yd FG.
34-34

Overtime
I choose to receive this time, moving the ball ok, but still have to punt. I made some defensive adjustments to slow down their offensive attack. and it works, forcing the Bucs to punt. my offense is still struggling and I punt again. Still shutting down the Bucs offense. They get a few first downs, but have to punt. Time is starting to run out. I am moving the ball, but end up stalling at the 50 yd line. 4th and 11. Defining Coach Moment.If I fail to convert on 4th down, the Bucs will have good field position. I choose to punt. My punter does an excellent job and pins the Bucs down at the 2 yard line! Well now I'm thinking Safety...anything to get this game over. I dial up my top blitz play...Barber is stuffed for a 1 yd loss. Same play, Barber tackled for no gain. 3rd and 11, ball on the 1, less than 2minutes left. I go for the same blitz. Tampa chooses a quick out pass route and the ball is caught by tip-toe around the 8 yard line. Was he in? Replay booth is uo....Incomplete pass. 4th and 11 at the 1. I've never had a blocked punt work, ever. But I figure, what do I have to lose? I dial up the punt block play. The Bucs audible to their max protection punt. Ball is snapped, two of players shoot the gap and .......the punt is blocked, the ball is bouncing around, the punter picks it up and is tackled in the end zone. SAFETY! GAME OVER! Cowboys win again!
36-34

I don't think I've ever been so excited over a football video game before. I ran around the house jumping up and down...

The streak of losses continue for the Bucs as they are forced to wonder what could have been, while the Cowboys move on in quest of their third straight Super Bowl. Gotta love this game!

I hope you had as much fun reading it as I had playing it.

Last edited by jdub2k4; 08-25-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: MUST READ: Most exciting Game EVER

Excellent read and write up on a brilliant, exciting game of Head Coach! Plays a nice game of football, doesn't it?

Man, you got the injury bug BAD!!! Anyone left for the Super Bowl?? Nice job on holding the line and playing thru the injuries against a tough opponent.

And yeah, Head Coach is the only football game I've played that has provoked the same reaction in me; to dance around about a tough win It's great stuff, and full of moments like these, and others that will sicken you or make you curse because of bad player performance at a key moment for a loss.

Congrats on your win!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
Pro

edward_1385's Arena

OVR: 12

That was an amazing game I haven't had one that exciting in a long time, good luck on the 3rd super bowl victory...

P.s. What draft path do u have?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward_1385
That was an amazing game I haven't had one that exciting in a long time, good luck on the 3rd super bowl victory...

P.s. What draft path do u have?
I'm in the Zazzali path, year 2013. By the way, I won the Superbowl beating the Titans 28-14. My injured starters returned just in time to play in the game.

Last edited by jdub2k4; 08-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »