Home

I Just Picked Up this Game...

This is a discussion on I Just Picked Up this Game... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
I Just Picked Up this Game...

I went to my local EB games in the big TO, and I traded in 3 games, one of which being Madden. I decided to get the new NFL Head Coach, I loved the old one so this was a no brainer. Right off I would like to say, this is way better than Madden, this is so much more in depth and better. I love the game. I just have a few questions/complaints.

-Running Backs don't run the ball effectively, through 4 games I got 100 yards, on standard difficulty

-Fumbles are to frequent, way to Frequent

-Can I switch teams in my career without being fired, like in the old one, I plan to leave my mark on Baltimore and rebuild the Raiders

-How do I switch my current playbook on my career, to my newly made custom

I will add more as they come. Otherwise great game, and great 20 bucks, this surpasses madden on many levels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: I Just Picked Up this Game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piderman
{snip}I just have a few questions/complaints.

-Running Backs don't run the ball effectively, through 4 games I got 100 yards, on standard difficulty

-Can I switch teams in my career without being fired, like in the old one, I plan to leave my mark on Baltimore and rebuild the Raiders

I will add more as they come. Otherwise great game, and great 20 bucks, this surpasses madden on many levels.
Quick feedback from my perspective.

Running the ball is both an art and a source of nearly-endless frustration. It has taken me months of practice & study in playcalling and defense analysis to come up with generally the right plays for the right situation(s). Most of the time I can eke out a 100-yard game if I have my monster O-line and I get lucky on a toss play or two. But don't expect to have an easy time of it - due to game AI & default sliders, linebackers play run-first ALL THE TIME and want your halfback to die a horrible death.

On fumbles, get a running back that holds on to the ball really well. It's a problem, but the CAR score does matter - so does the quality of the opposition.

Yes, you can leave the team you're coaching without getting fired, but you can't choose what team will hire you. If you really want to coach a team, start your franchise as that team's coach.

On playbooks, you can only choose a playbook when you start a franchise - you can't switch mid-stream. You can add or delete plays by stealing them or by hiring different coordinators, but the playbook is largely set at the start of the franchise. You wanna raze it, you gotta start over.

Glad you're having fun. It's a hell of a game.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Banned

thank you good sir
Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
I would advise you to check out the sliders forum. I currently use adembroski's sliders and the work great for me.
Secondly, you really have to commit to the running game and understand the defense you are going against. For instance if you are playing the Colts who play alot of Cover 2 and little no no blitzing then you can pretty much pound the ball up the middle the entire game, but if you are playing the Steelers who constantly bring pressure up the middle then you need to work in some draws,, some outside runs, and the occasional pitch. When you get that going you can start to work the ball up the middle a bit more because the pressure will be more the outside.

Also you have to think about this game like real football and understand what type of back you are using and how running games really work. Big power backs with good trucking skills will normally be more consistent because they can truck people better and get yards after contact. Quick elusive backs wil get brought down alot easier, but if they have 10 runs and the first 9 are for 20 yards total and then they break off a 30 yard run for a TD thats still a 5.0 yard avg. You are not always going to get 4 or 5 yards on every carry especially against good defenses.

I would also look at your play calling. If you are routinely calling the same couple of runs on first down The defense will react and shut it down. You have to be willing to run at all times and to try and catch the defense off guard.

Quote:
Again check out the slider forum and after any fumble go back and look at the replay and seriously think about challenging the play. One of my biggest gripes in this game is the fact that I see at least one overturned fumble in every single game. It gets kind of annoying.

Quote:
Yes you can switch teams at the end of the year when your owner evaluates your performance, but be careful and save before you do. Because if you try and switch teams and no one is hiring its game over and there is no guarantee that the team you want to switch to will want a new coach. Although the Raiders seem to switch coaches almost as often as they do in real life.

Quote:
Unfortunately you cannot change playbooks mid career. You can steal plays from other teams at the end of each game, but you cant just overhaul you entire playbook. If you want to use a custom playbook you will have to go back and restart your career with that set as your playbook.

If you have any more questions or need some clarification just come back and ask and welcome to on of the best football games ever made and be prepared to get addicted.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22
I would advise you to check out the sliders forum. I currently use adembroski's sliders and the work great for me.
Secondly, you really have to commit to the running game and understand the defense you are going against. For instance if you are playing the Colts who play alot of Cover 2 and little no no blitzing then you can pretty much pound the ball up the middle the entire game, but if you are playing the Steelers who constantly bring pressure up the middle then you need to work in some draws,, some outside runs, and the occasional pitch. When you get that going you can start to work the ball up the middle a bit more because the pressure will be more the outside.

Also you have to think about this game like real football and understand what type of back you are using and how running games really work. Big power backs with good trucking skills will normally be more consistent because they can truck people better and get yards after contact. Quick elusive backs wil get brought down alot easier, but if they have 10 runs and the first 9 are for 20 yards total and then they break off a 30 yard run for a TD thats still a 5.0 yard avg. You are not always going to get 4 or 5 yards on every carry especially against good defenses.

I would also look at your play calling. If you are routinely calling the same couple of runs on first down The defense will react and shut it down. You have to be willing to run at all times and to try and catch the defense off guard.

Again check out the slider forum and after any fumble go back and look at the replay and seriously think about challenging the play. One of my biggest gripes in this game is the fact that I see at least one overturned fumble in every single game. It gets kind of annoying.

Yes you can switch teams at the end of the year when your owner evaluates your performance, but be careful and save before you do. Because if you try and switch teams and no one is hiring its game over and there is no guarantee that the team you want to switch to will want a new coach. Although the Raiders seem to switch coaches almost as often as they do in real life.

Unfortunately you cannot change playbooks mid career. You can steal plays from other teams at the end of each game, but you cant just overhaul you entire playbook. If you want to use a custom playbook you will have to go back and restart your career with that set as your playbook.

If you have any more questions or need some clarification just come back and ask and welcome to on of the best football games ever made and be prepared to get addicted.
His sliders rule, awesome sliders
and thats great news, i can coach the raiders!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
thats great news, i can coach the raiders!
Good luck.

I'm trying to coach them and, although I'm still a newbie at this game, it's been annoying so far.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Good luck.

I'm trying to coach them and, although I'm still a newbie at this game, it's been annoying so far.
im coaching the ravens, not to bad, good team

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »