Home

Free agency bidding

This is a discussion on Free agency bidding within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21
Free agency bidding

I need some tips and guidance on the bidding part of free agency. Does that really happen in real life? Teams bidding for every single free agent? And is there a guide line to how much I should or shouldn't spend on certain positions in terms of bidding? I want to get Culpepper maybe, but how much would you guys pay in the bidding?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Free agency bidding

Not sure if that's how it happens in real life. But when I want a certain player or a player at a position, I look at the guy(s). If I want him, I go into the bidding and set a realistic high price. If it goes over, I leave.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by twl221
Not sure if that's how it happens in real life. But when I want a certain player or a player at a position, I look at the guy(s). If I want him, I go into the bidding and set a realistic high price. If it goes over, I leave.
Thanks. Do you have an outline of a certain price for each position that you'd pay for? How much would you bid for like a FS, QB, LB, etc.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21
Thanks. Do you have an outline of a certain price for each position that you'd pay for? How much would you bid for like a FS, QB, LB, etc.
Depends. For example, a 28 year old QB that's rated 88 overall and will be my starter, I usually go within 15-20 mil within the starting bid. For most players, however, I just go 8-12 mil over the starting bid. Or if I really want a player, I will go as high as I need. Remember that this is just what I would do.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by twl221
Depends. For example, a 28 year old QB that's rated 88 overall and will be my starter, I usually go within 15-20 mil within the starting bid. For most players, however, I just go 8-12 mil over the starting bid. Or if I really want a player, I will go as high as I need. Remember that this is just what I would do.
Thanks for the tip.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Unless the player is super-good, I don't want to pay more than 4 M a year and during contract talks, I try for the lowest signing bonus I can get without ticking him off.

That way if I want to trade or cut him, I don't get screwed even worse than if I held on to him.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21
I always look at it by cap hit per year. in my opinion a roster filler (someone who will never play) should get no more then a mil, good players try to get under 3-4 mil a year, and no FA should get over 10 mil a year.

Keep in mind that the FA pool is ridiculously overpriced and should only be used if you desperately need that position.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

I'm talking about the bidding though... how come the bids go up to $40 million? Where do you pay that $40? I saw the Broncos win the bid for Haynesworth and Asomugha...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »