Home

Making playoffs = bad coaches?

This is a discussion on Making playoffs = bad coaches? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Making playoffs = bad coaches?

Anyone make the playoffs and then be able to sign good coaches with any solid chances?

It just seems like all the crap teams can absorb the coaches because they aren't playing.

Any way to upgrade coaches during the offseason if you're a playoff team?

I saved then tried it this offseason (supposedly college coaches were coming out and I wanted to sign one), my options were limited to some 30 OVR OC/QB coach (same guy) and 19-23 OVR ST coach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Making playoffs = bad coaches?

This is why you need to lose in the first round. Then there are usually some former players/college coaches, who get really good. There also might be some good co-ordinators out there, such as Jim Caldwell or Mike Singeltary (Sp?)
Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

It just seems like all the crap teams can absorb the coaches because they aren't playing.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

Yes, worse teams get the first chance at coaches since they are able to go after them early. This is why until you have your staff in place it is best not to go to far into the playoffs. I don't know how unrealistic this really is though, good teams don't usually hire a lot of new big name coaches after a good season in real life. You hear nothing of any playoff teams from last year going out and signing a top defensive coordinator like gregg williams or a new top head coach or whatever. They usually either promote from within and hire into their lower spots if they have openings.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to matter how many wins you get if you don't make the playoffs. A team that has 0 wins has just as good a chance to hire top talent as once that wins 9 games as long as you miss the playoffs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Ah, I see.

Thanks, guess it's good I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

Oh well. At least I'll have something to look forward to should the team not make the playoffs this year. AFC North is insanely hard to clinch anything now so it's not out of the question, even with 10 wins.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to matter how many wins you get if you don't make the playoffs. A team that has 0 wins has just as good a chance to hire top talent as once that wins 9 games as long as you miss the playoffs.
This is kinda true but I am not sure if it is entirely true. All teams who are done with their season have an oppotunity at every coach available. That said, some coaches will have different desire to go to different teams even before any control is offered as well as sometimes even different results for giving some control of some areas. I would assume part of this is controlled by team win/loss records, team talent, and the team system and how it fits in with the coach's system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »