Home

Offensive and Defensive Identities

This is a discussion on Offensive and Defensive Identities within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Offensive and Defensive Identities

For me, diversity in approach and formation is my key to success. Both my playbooks are heavily modified Packers sets.

On offense, I added a batch of heavy-run formation plays (3TE, 2TE/1FB) to bring the power running game to Lambeau, even though Green Bay starts with one of the better power formations in the game: Full House. I also got some additional shotgun plays, typically 3WR/1TE, that weren't in the original playbook. With these additional plays and formations, I can run the ball against most teams, and I can pass the ball against anybody.

On defense, I added a batch of 3-4, 335 nickel, and quarter plays to help defend the insanity-level deep accuracy and passing-mad offenses this game brings to play. There's nothing like and no substitute for dropping eight guys into coverage in this simulator. I also plugged in the 4-4 defense from the Bengals playbook when I want to load up against the run without playing goal-line defense. With these additional plays and formations, I can stop the run - even the Texans running attack, which I find ridiculously effective and challenging to defend - and I can stop the pass - even the Patriots' passing game.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

It depends on the path im using, i have one for each and wanted to try something different with each one.

English
Using the Gilbride Ball Control offense. This playbook is really efficient in the passing game and balanced it really showcases the talent across the board on my teams.

Lebeau Zone Blitz for the defense. It can be simply dominating if you fill with good talent and having guys like Xavier Cox and Quincy Simms playing in a 3 man front is dominating.

Jones
Created a running playbook out of Steelers Smashmouth. This path is so loaded with runners i figured i would never have a shortage of them and might aswell use what this path gives on a consistent basis.

The defense is the Tampa 2. This playbook is pretty unfair with good talent and there are always stud defensive lineman you can find in the draft even if the linebackers are a bit thin.

Zazzali
Am restarting this one with i think a zone blocking passing attack. Zazzali is stuffed to the brim with quarterbacks and like the Jones path i want to feature that however i like being able to run it well even if its out of singleback and zone blocking is definantly the way to go if youre running singleback.

Im undecided on the defense right now. Im definantly thinking having a playbook of smaller formations such as having 3-3-5 with some 46 and 4-2-5 thrown in so that no one formation would be dominant.

Sweetney
Im a big proponent of the west coast offense and so I chose the Holmgren version, but what really made my mind when i heard there was a Joe Montana clone i thought it was the perfect marriage.

I used the Jags Man Coverage playbook. I like the design the only real superstar you NEED on the defense is your top corner. I remember picking off Peyton Manning 5 times in the superbowl in his last game.

Why I dont like spread playbooks is because the game seems to favor them too much and the QBs are able to throw it around like noones playing defense but the defense doesnt seem to adjust enough to the nonstop throwing and it makes it unrealistic. I really want to toy around with defense some more with maybe a 5 defensive back zone blitz playbook or a 5-2.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 8

i like to use the steelers smashmouth and jags physcial d
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »