Home

Newbie Needs Direction

This is a discussion on Newbie Needs Direction within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Newbie Needs Direction

I hate to ask such basic questions. Sorry, but I've Googled and searched w/o success.

Where are the FAQ? Is there a manual somewhere other than this postage sized set of instructions that came with the game?

Is there an explanation of the "in game" controls. I'm trying my first preseason game and I get different play calling menus, seemingly at random. Some start with formations and others with the type of play. Some allow me to ask for a coach to call a play and others don't.

Is there any way to slow things down so I can learn my way around.

Every now and then I get a Coach's Emotion Button with an L and an up arrow. I can't figure out anything to do but proceed.

I read somewhere that running is hopeless and passing overpowered in the default setup. Can that be changed.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll really enjoy the game if I can figure out the basics. I played several seasons of NFL Head Coach for the PS2 and enjoyed that years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Rookie

Winnipeg59's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Newbie Needs Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler Dealer
I hate to ask such basic questions. Sorry, but I've Googled and searched w/o success.

Where are the FAQ? Is there a manual somewhere other than this postage sized set of instructions that came with the game?

Is there an explanation of the "in game" controls. I'm trying my first preseason game and I get different play calling menus, seemingly at random. Some start with formations and others with the type of play. Some allow me to ask for a coach to call a play and others don't.

Is there any way to slow things down so I can learn my way around.

Every now and then I get a Coach's Emotion Button with an L and an up arrow. I can't figure out anything to do but proceed.

I read somewhere that running is hopeless and passing overpowered in the default setup. Can that be changed.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll really enjoy the game if I can figure out the basics. I played several seasons of NFL Head Coach for the PS2 and enjoyed that years ago.
Welcome!
While suggesting you simply go slowly and learn without worrying too much about "franchise #1" might be the obvious answer, here's a bit of guidance to get you started. I was a newb not long ago...

Take a few minutes and read through this thread for a GREAT explanation of most of the concepts you'll encounter in the game. Think of this as a decent FAQ:
Ebongreen's advice and observations thread

Search this forum for other questions you might have. There's a ton here!

On the "clipboard", use the R2/L2 (ps3) buttons to speed or slow things and the R1/L1 buttons to cycle between the clipboard panels (or it might be the other way around...but they are labeled, so you'll easily note them...sorry second-nature now to me). There is one with an explanation of virtually evertything you'll encounter. Just remember, the timer will be ticking, so don't worry about the "franchise #1.

Calling plays can happen a couple of ways. You can hand the call over to you OC or DC by just using the "O" to drop the playcall off the screen. Or you can use the "X" to get into the playcalling windows. There you will find a number of ways to slice and dice things. Go slow and try things!

You can call by formation. You can call by coach suggestion. You can call by success. You can "re"call a recent play. You can call by play type (run, pass, gun, etc).

EDIT: Oh, and the coaches emotion is simply up of down with the "L" stick (or you can use the up/downs on the left pad. Be careful, the players will react to your reaction...

But, again remember not to worry about the "franchise #1". It will pretty much be a disaster because of the timing that seems to constantly be taking place.

It feels like a gigantic learning curve, but once you're near the top of the upslope, you'll love it!!!

Hope that helps a little?

HC09 dynasty - Rebuilding the Raiders - "Russell Rulz"

Last edited by Winnipeg59; 08-21-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added bit about "L"...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

There's also a strategy guide out there-it has some useful information.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Rookie

Coaching emotianal reactions are just how you relate to your team. Someplayers like when you go nuts when they score, some don't. It's just a way to gain approval from your players if you react the way that player wants.

The running game is far from hopeless. I don't use sliders at all, and after a bit with coaching upgrades and such, it's pretty easy to get 1,000 yard seasons. With top backs and good runblocking linemen, after a couple seasons, i'm generally hitting between 1500-1700 yards. a season. You just can;t run the same way against every team. Some teams are harder to run inside against than others,some harder to run outside, and some, well,it's just hard to run at all, kinda like it's hard to run on Pittsburg in real life. Honestly, it's mostly coaching. If you spend points on perfromance, run blocking,and RB skillsfor your coach, you'll start seeing a big difference.

Like winnipeg said,check out Ebon's thread,and look around some of the other threads as well. There is a ton of info on the board that will help you out. AA LOT of people have trouble at first, especially coming from Madden style games because the emphasis is on your coaching skills and such so much in this game. That is the make or break aspect of almost everything your players do on the field.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Rookie

Icon14 Re: Newbie Needs Direction

Thanks,

I've had the game a week now and might have given up if it weren't for the nice people who frequent this forum! They seem to be very knowledgeable and patient!!

I just finished the first game that felt real (6th game regular season). Up to that point there had been so many miraculous TDs by the team behind I was beginning to think nothing mattered but the last 5 minutes.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »