Home

Dur, Inj, Tough - What's the Difference?

This is a discussion on Dur, Inj, Tough - What's the Difference? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Icon5 Dur, Inj, Tough - What's the Difference?

I have a young player I can't seem to keep on the field.

He has Dur 79, Inj 70 and Tough 75.

Have I been unlucky or is it time to cut my losses?

And while I'm asking, what is Trucking?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Dur, Inj, Tough - What's the Difference?

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but durability represents the overall "health" of each of the player's different body parts (each part has its own rating). "injury" represents how easy it is for your player to be injured. The higher the rating is, the less likely chance that your player will get injured. "Toughness" represents how fast your player can recover from injuries, with a higher number being better.

I'd go as far as to say that the trainer is the most important part of your coaching staff. The difference between a good trainer and a crappy trainer is immense. They play a key role in keeping your players on the field. If you have a crappy trainer, you'll see your guys getting injured left and right. Do whatever it takes in order to secure a top notch trainer in the offseason, if your team doesn't already have one.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

I believe Trucking is a indication of how hard it is for a defender to tackle a running back-you want it to be a high number.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonolith
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but durability represents the overall "health" of each of the player's different body parts (each part has its own rating). "injury" represents how easy it is for your player to be injured. The higher the rating is, the less likely chance that your player will get injured. "Toughness" represents how fast your player can recover from injuries, with a higher number being better.
D, you're close. I'm pretty sure Durability is a player's injury-history rating; how much time has he spent on the field. The rest of it is correct: Injury is a player's injury resistance, and Toughness indicates his recovery speed. Last and not least, a player's overall Health isn't shown except in a player's individual display: that's where the different body-parts show up with how healthy they are.

You can have a player with a relatively high durability rating, injury resistance and toughness, but still have a low Health rating due to delicate body parts. This is not a recipe for long-term success as a player.

Trucking and Elusiveness are complimentary traits. Trucking involves breaking a tackle once contact is established, while Elusive involves avoiding a defender making a solid tackle in the first place.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebongreen
D, you're close. I'm pretty sure Durability is a player's injury-history rating; how much time has he spent on the field. The rest of it is correct: Injury is a player's injury resistance, and Toughness indicates his recovery speed. Last and not least, a player's overall Health isn't shown except in a player's individual display: that's where the different body-parts show up with how healthy they are.

You can have a player with a relatively high durability rating, injury resistance and toughness, but still have a low Health rating due to delicate body parts. This is not a recipe for long-term success as a player.

Trucking and Elusiveness are complimentary traits. Trucking involves breaking a tackle once contact is established, while Elusive involves avoiding a defender making a solid tackle in the first place.
Finally something Ebongreen is wrong about! Demonlith is right, Durability is simply an average of health for each body part. Try it for yourself. Take each individual part, add them together, divide by number of body parts = durability
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Interesting. If that's true (I haven't checked) I wonder why overall Health is tracked as a separate number then. That would seem to be a very curious programming decision.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Rookie

RougeRogue's Arena

OVR: 1

Actually, Ebongreen isn't wrong on this; I'll use one of the players on my team as an example:

RE Trent Cole:
Head: 97%
Torso: 99%
Right Arm: 93%
Right Leg: 81%
Left Arm: 94%
Left Leg: 53%

Arithmetic AVG: 86.167%
OVR Health: 87%
Durability: 91

Here's what it looks like for someone currently injured:
DT Corey Williams:
Head: 66%
Torso: 50%
Right Arm: 50%
Right Leg: 50%
Left Arm: 34%
Left Leg: 86%

Arithmetic AVG: 56%
OVR Health: 56%
Durability: 59

...If Corey Williams' left leg shows up for practice, I think we'll be OK for the next game....

There is certainly a strong correlation between durability and overall health, resulting in all three of the above, bold numbers being equal for many players, as most players on any given team are able to make it through the season with minimal or no injuries. The only citation I could find from Josh Looman about durability is here (his third answer).

My understanding of Durability is that it is the modifier affecting how severe an injury is likely to be. Essentially, this translates to how much time the player is able to spend on the field for you, so Ebongreen's description is pretty accurate.

If you sim the same game a thousand times, you'll notice that the same players tend to get injured over and over, which corresponds with the injury ratings, obviously. However, the types of injuries those players receive seem to be more determined by the durability rating, as you would also notice that players with lower durability ratings are much more likely to have some of the most severe, longest-lasting injuries, while those with higher durability ratings will tend to just be out for a few days or a couple weeks, more frequently.

Here's a better example:
SS Sean Jones, at 32 years of age:
Injury rating: 88
Durability rating: 79
Toughness rating: 88
Overall health: 72%
Head: 95%
Torso: 88%
Right Arm: 98%
Right Leg: 33%
Left Arm: 88%
Left Leg: 50%
Arithmetic avg: 75.33%

Sean won't get injured TOO frequently, but when he does, I've found that injury to be of the mid-to-long-lasting variety, with some regularity (at least, more frequently than players with higher durability ratings), and it is almost always a leg injury. On the rare occasions that it is NOT a leg injury, the duration is almost always short.

I've done some pretty extensive experimentation with injuries, since beginning this thread, including playing an entire experimental season while TRYING to get players injured, to see how far I could advance a trainer over the course of a season, primarily through trading for severely injured, low OVR players -- raised him about 15k skill points.

Some other interesting observations about injuries:
1) The later in the season you go, the less likely it becomes for players to receive the longest duration injuries (12-15 months for bad trainers, 6-7 months for good trainers).
2) In the unusual event that a long-lasting injury occurs toward the end of a season that might carry into the following season, there is a STRONG likelihood that player will get the "Miracle Cure" Game Changer at some point before the next pre-season begins.
3) Not all injuries provide your trainer with skill points (though I've only noticed this with the occasional, traded-for, injured player).
4) As Demonlith mentions, a good trainer is VITAL to keeping your players on the field, as is using the 8am health reports intelligently (I tend to keep players in the "Doubtful" category out of practices, so they can heal up a bit for the next game).
5) Plenty of injuries happen league-wide during practices, even severe injuries, not just during games.

Last edited by RougeRogue; 09-26-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Trucking is lowering your shoulder en route to running over the defender trying to make a tackle, thus why it is called TRUCKing. A RB that's good at trucking tends to be better than an elusive RB in this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »