Home

What defensive scheme do you use ?

This is a discussion on What defensive scheme do you use ? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Rookie

DomisLive's Arena

OVR: 0
What defensive scheme do you use ?

What defensive scheme do you use ? 3-4 4-3 46 ect.... ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Rookie

BoneThrower's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: What defensive scheme do you use ?

I primarily use a 4-3 Man blitz scheme modeled after the Titans and Jaguar's defenses, but also find myself using Nickel blitzes quite a bit of the time. I generally blitz my LB's and CB's because I find blitzing safeties tends to leave the back end of the defense too vulnerable, even with elite CB's like Asomugha and Waddell.

After year 1 (which I usually try to finish 8-8 or so to get good coaches in the off season), my defense is always ranked #1 at the end of the year! The biggest key, IMO, is getting players that fit your scheme. If you run a lot of zone or Cover 2, you need DB's who excel in zone coverages, etc.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

4-3 man blitz based on Jim Johnson Blitz, pass coverage is man coverage. I get some monster years in sacks with Calais Campbell-last year he had almost 50.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Rookie

DomisLive's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
4-3 man blitz based on Jim Johnson Blitz, pass coverage is man coverage. I get some monster years in sacks with Calais Campbell-last year he had almost 50.

DANG

I cant get my DL to get any sacks or takles, my LBs get all of the sacks...

I have the best DT to come of of the draft Quincy Sims, I moved him to a 3-4 RE and LE Xavier Cox..... they dont do **** for me

do I need to run a 4-3 ?

I run a 3-4 with new England Patriots play book
Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8

I use the pats defensive playbook too yet Chris Long gets a good amount of sacks for me. I'm not sure why your DLine is having so much trouble
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

I normally don't get more than 10 with most positions, but I see big production from the LE with the Jim Johnson blitz. Caraun Lawrence at RE only had 6, but my backup LE had 7 in limited time. My LBC had all the SS, neither my DC or HC had any. Performance is at 5 with HC, though. You only see production like that if you play the games.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdominic
do I need to run a 4-3 ?

I run a 3-4 with new England Patriots play book
Yes. DL don't usually get a lot of sacks in the 3-4, it's the nature of the scheme. BTW, Chris Long is the best 3-4 DE in the game, so he better get some sacks.

Anyways, I was fooling around and made my own 1-5-5 defensive playbook (about 20 or so 1-5-5 plays, plus goal line). Yes, 1 NT, 5 LBs, 3 CBs, and one of each safety. I've gotten good results from it in simming and playing, but not absurd results, so I'm happy. It's solid against the run and one of the better playbooks I've used against the pass. My GM is pissed at me for not having any DEs on my roster.

Last edited by rdnk; 10-27-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

first franchise went with 3-4 steelers, 2nd same went with another 3-4 book cant remember which

created my own book now with 3-4, 3-3-5, 2-4-5, normal nickel, dime, 3-2-6, quarter. 87 blitzes, 43 zone, 42 man or something like that

i prefer man with 2 over the top. i have created some 3-4 blitzes which overload one side and vary zone coverage behind and will be trying to do the same with 2-4-5. i prefer pressuring the qb to make them make a mistake, a sack is a bonus. the fluffed lob which is intercepted is ideal

all depends on personnel. for example rake who is a de is 2008 draft i convert to a 6 2 280 lb strong side linebacker. its evil with 90 speed and his blockshed and if he hits the qb gets hurt

not only the qb on the floor unable to throw is good coverage but injured qb not throwing at all is the best coverage of all imo

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »