Home

Keeping the game realistic(drafting)

This is a discussion on Keeping the game realistic(drafting) within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Keeping the game competitive(drafting)

I call this the "ROBIN HOOD" effect(steal from the rich, give to the poor).

This scale is based on researching the NFL drafts back to 2002. The most picks taken by one team in any recent draft is 13 picks(titans and another team, cant remember). least is 3 picks in one draft(patriots and another team, cant remember)

I wanted to make the game harder as the years go by, as long as I was winning. I wanted it to get easier if I was losing. But in either case, I wanted it proportionate to the amount of losing or winning I was doing. I also wanted an idea of the most/least amount of picks I should allow myself in one draft, and when I should pick them.

*Special note* If you're gonna play by this scale, dont try to cheat and compensate with a bunch of free agents when you're hit with a draft penalty! I dont spend money in free agency EVER, so that means I NEVER get rfas or fas from other teams(they cost too much usually). I build through the draft, like most of the best gms in the nfl today. Dont be mistaken though, I ALWAYS resign my best players(95 pot or better, sometimes a lil less) and I ALWAYS sign 5 undrafted rookies after each draft, no matter what draft penalties Ive earned.

In essence, we're trying to put more of the BEST talent on the other teams unless the team we're playing as really needs help. We're only taking more than 7 picks if we have an 8-8 or worse record(8 picks for 8 losses). We're also eliminating taking more than 1 pick in the 1st round unless you go defeated(0-16) or 1-15(despicable).*

Im gonna go from most picks allowed(worst season) to Least allowed(best season/seasons in a row). ALWAYS TAKE THE HARSHER PENALTY(unless switching teams)!
For instance if you get 3 sb wins in a row AND you went undefeated for the first time on that 3rd one, you take the 3 sb wins in a row penalty not the undefeated for the first time. However, If you get your first sb and the first undefeated that same year, you take the undefeated penalty.

Defeated (0-16)
13 picks including 3 firsts, 3 seconds, 3 3rds, 1 in the rest of the rounds. Or however you want to space it out, you deserve it! Just no more than 3 in any of those first 3 rds. You could even have as many as 4 in the 4th round, 5 in the 5th or 6 in the 6th. You can work it out from there...

Despicable (1-15)
12 picks, 2 1sts 2 2nds 2 3rds, 2 4ths , 2 5ths, 1 in the rest of the rounds or 6 in the 6th and 1 in the rest

Horrid(2-14 or 3-13)
11 picks, can have 2 2nd, 2 3rds 2 4ths 2 5ths, 1 in the rest of the rounds, or 5 in the 5th and 1 in the rest of the rounds

Bad (4-12 or 5-11)
10 picks, 2 picks in 2nd 3rd 4th rd and 1 in the rest of the rounds, or 4 in the 4th and 1 in the rest of the rounds

Subpar (6-10 or 7-9)
9 picks, 2 picks in 2nd & 2 in the 3rd 1 in the rest, or 3 picks in the 3rd and 1 pick the rest of the rounds

Average (8-8)
8 picks, 2 picks in the 2nd, 1 in the rest

Almost playoffs(IE 9-7, just missed playoffs)
7 picks, 1 in each round of the draft 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (anywhere in those rounds)

Make Playoffs(any record)
6 picks in the draft, 1 2 3 4 5 6 (anywhere in those rounds)(trade the 7th with your 6th away for a better 6th)

First 3 times you WIN THE SB(unless in a row), and any superbowl you lose(unless you switch teams after either)
5 picks in the draft, 2 3 4 5 6 (anywhere in those rounds)
Trade every other pick away for a single pick in the next draft, meaning 1 pick now for 1 pick in the same round next year to a bad team that missed the playoffs.

2 sb wins in a row, 4th sb, OR GO UNDEFEATED ONCE
4 picks in the draft, 2 3 4 5, (anywhere in those rounds).
*Only one team has ever gone undefeated(72 Dolphins)
*Only chuck noll has won 4 sbs, 2 in a row twice(steelers)
*Only 5 other coaches have won 2 sbs in a row Lombardi, Shula, Johnson, Shanahan, Belichick
You should contemplate switching teams to the worst team at this time if you accomplish ANY of this. Use the record the cpu got the last year if you do to determine your allotment of picks ....

3 sb wins in a row or 5th sb OR GO UNDEFEATED IN 2 DIFFERENT YEARS(consecutive or not)
3 picks in the draft, 3 4 5, (anywhere in those rounds)
*No coach has ever won 3 sbs in a row, won 5 sbs or gone undefeated twice!
Switch to the worst team if you didnt last year, should really be no exceptions(unless you want a celtics type dynasty), you're already the best thats ever been!

Hope this adds more vitality and parody to your careers!

If you want to make your career a dynasty with only one team like the celtics of the 60s, these are the penalties I would use.

4 SB wins in a row OR 6th sb, OR GO UNDEFEATED IN 3 DIFFERENT YEARS(consecutive or not)
2 picks in the draft, 4th and 5th round, (anywhere in those rounds)

5 sb wins in a row or 7th sb win OR GO UNDEFEATED IN 4 DIFFERENT YEARS(consecutive or not)
1 pick in the 5th round(anywhere in that round).

6 sb wins in a row or 8th sb win OR GO UNDEFEATED IN 5 DIFFERENT YEARS(consecutive or not)
1 pick in the 6th round only (anywhere in the round)

7 sb wins in a row OR 9th sb win GO UNDEFEATED IN 6 DIFFERENT YEARS(consecutive or not)
1 pick in the 7th round only (anywhere in the round)

8 sb wins in a row or 10th sb win OR GO UNDEFEATED IN 7 DIFFERENT YEARS(consecutive or not)
NO PICKS FOR YOU!

Last edited by Byron Yatch; 05-30-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »