Home

HC09 Revisted

This is a discussion on HC09 Revisted within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Smile HC09 Revisted

Hi, I've just pulled out HC09 again and I still love it! During 2011 I played 13 seasons before I burned out.

I went with KC this time, the best GM of the "very hard" teams (Miami last time). I don't think this will be "very hard". I had lots of cap room and virtually no bad contracts!

Seems like last time a big turning point in the game was when I could finally see the comparisons between the players in the draft pool and real players from the past. This time I had that ability from the get go. Is this a bug or something my GM does for me?

It's very hard for me to ignore this information but I'm afraid it's going to make the game too easy. I may need to turn the draft over to my GM, but that's my favorite part, the team building!

Of course, the game will be easier this time just because I won't make some of the stupid mistakes I made last time. Last time my third year team won a lucky Super Bowl but then the team went into a rebuilding phase because of bad contract decisions I made. The first year that I won with the best team was my 7th season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: HC09 Revisted

I never got to ask you before WD- what does the last trainer skill do? I recall you saying your trainer had got it in your 13 year career.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

That info is provided by 3 GM skills, the "big/middle/small school insider" skills.

I think you can pick up the same info scouting pro days or doing individual position scouting during the season, so you're going to end up with it one way or another most likely.

Also, the player comparison, while probably the most useful scouting info, isn't 100% golden. I've seen a lot of centers compared to matt birk, and they range from "probably better than any actual nfl player" at the high end to "why would I want this guy on my team?" at the low end. I've seen QBs compared to drew brees who actually aren't very good. etc. Don't ignore the rest of the scouting info to depend on player comparisons, especially early round picks.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Rookie

I don't remember exactly what the last trainer skill does, sorry.

I don't think the player comparison is as useful as actually scouting out the potential of a prospect but it's a lot better than your normal shot in the dark. I would guess the comparison gives you maybe a 20% to 30% chance of finding a player with 85+ potential from players you never got to scout.

In my initial draft I got two players with 90 potential and one with 85 after the second round. That's way more than I would expect without that info. I still have to develop those players. The HB and The TE started with overall ratings in the low 60s. After 6 regular season games the HB is up to 70, the TE is on IR and the WR is over 80 on his way to a pro bowl season.

I guess my prior career somehow caused that capability to carry over
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Rookie

Icon9 Re: HC09 Revisted

I did make it too easy on myself! I guess I'll play the Chiefs another season or two and then do something different. Jimmy Johnson left the Cowboys after back to back Super Bowls!

I had comparison data on about 1/3 of the players for the 2009 draft. I had that data for 100% in 2008. Now my GM has gained the middle and big school scouting skill and I have all the comparison data again. Draw your own conclusion!
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »