Home

The Patriots Franchise

This is a discussion on The Patriots Franchise within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Patriots Franchise

I have played as the Patriots times before but every time my file got scrapped for one reason or another. This time, I hope to stick with it for the whole 15 years while keeping everything as challenging as possible. I have seen many posts here about how sliders make a world of difference but for me, it has mostly been the play-calling that defines the success of your team. Hence, I left every slider at default when I started and chose to keep Bill Belichek as the head coach but created custom playbooks for both sides of the ball. Both playbooks of 176 plays for Offense and 199 plays for Defense had a ton of situational plays and almost every position imaginable. So with the introduction out of the way, I hope the journal of the Patriots as I take them through from season to season is as exciting for you as it will be for me.

2008 Off-Season:

Staff Recap:

Signings:

· Signed WR R. Moss to 1-yr/$8.1M contract (Franchise Tag).
· Signed CB N. Asomugha for 5-yr/$41M contract, $10M guaranteed.
· Signed LG A. Faneca for 7-yr/$51M contract, $22M guaranteed.
· Signed WR D.J. Hackett to 1-yr/$1.1M contract.
· Signed HB S. Alexander to 2-yr/$4.8M contract.
· Signed CB B. Kelly to 1-yr/$900K contract (87 ZCV).
· Signed WR J. Gaffney to 1-yr/$800K contract.
· Signed P S. Weatherford to 1-yr/$800K contract.
· Signed DT M. Wright to 1-yr/$970K contract (RFA).
· Signed WR C. Henry to 1-yr/$600K contract.

Trades:
*I wanted TE V. Davis from the 49ers but they were asking for a 5th rounder (Pick 159) for him. It is a good deal but I want to wait until after the draft to see if his value goes down. If they pick up a TE, he will become the 3rd string TE and I can get him for a future 6th rounder even. However, if they don’t get a TE, it will mean his value goes up as their veteran TE and I will have to give up more. I rolled the dice on this one and hopefully it turns out well.
*I also tried to get V. Jackson from the Chargers but for a 2nd round pick, he wasn’t worth it at 77 OVR at the moment, I really want him but will wait until after the draft or next season to make an offer.

2008 Draft:
Before the draft, I always put up everyone I don’t want on the draft block to secure a trade offer whenever a team wanted to trade. In this draft, it came in very handy as I had arguably one of the best offers land in my lap.

(1/6) – Jets traded down for my (2009, 2) + (2, 42) + (RT, R. O’Callaghan). I wanted to pick D. McFadden but I knew I couldn’t afford him so I decided to trade the pick to the Cowboys, who gave their left nut for it: (1, 22) and (1, 28).
(1/7) – ROLB K. Rivers (94)
(1/22) – Traded down to the eager 49ers for (1, 29) and (2009, 2). Then, I crossed my fingers hoping K. Phillips will remain on the board until my next pick.
(1/28) – SS K. Phillips (93)
(1/29) – Traded down further to the Cowboys for (2, 54) and (2, 61).
(2/54) – CB P. Lee (87)
(2/61) – HB R. Rice (89)
(3/69) – MLB T. Gooden (86)
(3/94) – Traded to the Raiders for (4, 101) and (2009, 4).
(4/101) – SS C. Steltz (87)
(4/110) – Traded up for (LG, R. Hochstein)
(4/110) – MLB B. Bell (85)
(4/127) – Traded down for (5, 130) and (6, 192)
(5/130) – CB Z. Bowman (87)
(5/159) – DT A. Rubin (90)
(6/173) – Traded up for (QB, M. Cassel)
(6/173) – QB A. Woodson (93)
(6/191) – LG D. Hale (87)
(6/192) – K A. Serna (92)
(7/197) – Traded up for (7, 225) and (2009, 7)
(7/197) – TE M. Peterson (86)
(UDFA) – FB C. Stewart (84)
(UDFA) – CB D. Tribble (81)
(UDFA) – DT H. Smithers (87)
(UDFA) – SS J. Adams (77)
(UDFA) – C J. Sullivan (83)

I will add the Preseason and the 2008 Season as time allows, likely within the hour.

Last edited by DassTheBoss; 12-29-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: The Patriots Franchise

2008 Pre-Season:

Week 1: Roster = 69

· Traded for 49ers TE V. Davis with 2009 6th round pick.
· Traded for Browns WR J. Cribbs with 2010 6th round pick.
· Traded CB W. Andrews to Raiders for 2009 6th round pick.

Week 2: Roster = 70

· Traded FS J. Sanders to Ravens for 2009 4th round pick.
· Signed UDFA RG A. Crummey for 1-yr/$290K contract.
· Signed UDFA QB K. Jordanfor 1-yr/$290K contract.
· Released RG B. Yates.
· Released WR D. Stallworth.
· Released FB T. Richardson.
· Released HB S. Morris.
· Released MLB L. Izzo.

Week 3: Roster = 66

· Traded K S. Gostkowski to Saints for 2009 5th round pick.
· Released WR C. Henry.
· Released WR. J. Gaffney.
· Released DT M. Wright.
· Released CB B. Kelly.
· Released ROLB E. Alexander.
· Released SS J. Adams.
· Released P S. Weatherford.

Week 4: Roster = 58

· Released QB K. Jordan.
· Released C D. Gandy.
· Released RE T. Bake.
· Released LE A. Ellison.
· Released MLB R. Payne.

Final Roster = 53

The players listed in blue are ones I want to keep on my practice squad. It is a made up section of the roster that exists in the real NFL. I believe you can place 7 players on the squad and have a maximum salary of $900K for them. Hence, I couldn’t keep D. Stallworth and those that I did keep got their salary down to $440 or less (which is realistic, since these guys won’t get a job elsewhere). The only reason I am keeping them is because they know some of my plays already even though they are likely never going to see the field. In the game, the way to do this is to change the player’s position and then release him, the player likely won’t get signed then and then just leave them there until you need them. I don’t consider this cheap or anything because they lose their play knowledge and I do it just to make it a little more realistic and have a practice squad.

Last edited by DassTheBoss; 12-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Rookie

Final 2008 53-Man Roster:

Starter
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
QB
T. Brady
A. Woodson
K. Jordan

HB
L. Maroney
S. Alexander
K. Faulk
R. Rice

FB
H. Evans
C. Stewart

WR
R. Moss
W. Welker
D. Hackett
J. Cribbs
J. Gaffney
TE
B. watson
V. Davis
D. Thomas
M. Peterson

LT
M. Light
W. Britt

LG
L. Mankins
D. Hale

C
S. Neal
D. Connoly

RG
A. Faneca
A. Crummey

RT
N. Kaczur
J. Sullivan

LE
T. Warren
L. Smith
M. Wright

RE
R. Seymour
J. Green

DT
V. Wilfork
A. Rubin
H. Smithers

LOLB
M. Vrabel
B. Bell
T. Bake

MLB
T. Bruschi
J. Seau
T. Gooden
R. Payne

ROLB
A. Thomas
K. Rivers
P. Woods

CB
N. Asomugha
E. Hobbs
P. Lee
Z. Bowman
D. Tribble
FS
K. Phillips
B. Meriweather
B. Kelly

SS
R. Harrison
C. Steltz
J. Adams

K
A. Serna

P
C. Hanson

Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Rookie

2008 Season:

The preseason promise of winning the Superbowl must come into fruition as anything but a ring would be a disappointment after a 16-0 season. With my team able to play more balanced this season as well as an upgrade to the defense, it chances of repeating the previous season’s record is more likely than ever. The idea would be to run the ball using two elite TE’s and go with play-action passes and short screens to Moss and Welker, respectively. The ability of the TE’s to move laterally as well as the fact they have about 90 speed means I have 4 WR’s in almost every play. Also, the presence of a deep playbook that can be used to combat any offense or defense means I can gameplan effectively against any opponent.

Week 1: vs. Chiefs (0-0)

The expectation was a blowout and that is what happened. However, the ability of my stable of backs to run effectively against a pretty formidable rush defense meant I might have a future with playing balanced football as opposed to a Spread offense. Tom Brady didn’t have a stellar night with 244 yards and 2 TD’s but the rookie A. Woodson got playing time and was able to get his feet wet during his NFL debut. The rookie K. Rivers amassed an incredible 9 tackles (4 for loss), 2 sacks, and an interception.

Final: 52-7 (Patriots)

Week 2: at Jets (1-0)

Rookie A. Woodson showed he was able to hang with the Big League as he had a 158.3 rating after playing the whole 4th quarter during a blowout larger than the previous week. Tom Brady had a stellar 158.3 passer rating while throwing for 382 yards and 4 TD’s. Rivers made 10 tackles again and I am thinking of making him the starter in a few weeks, likely after the upcoming bye week.

Final: 63-7 (Patriots)

Week 3: vs. Dolphins (2-0)

Considering that it is the Dolphins, I would have been disappointed if this wasn’t a blowout. For some reason, A. Thomas was able to dominate Jake Long 2 sacks and a tackle for loss. Again, Rivers had the best night on defense with 7 tackles, 3 for loss, 1 sack, and an interception. He leads the team in tackles, tackles for loss, interceptions, and sacks. The running game had trouble picking up and we were held to under 100 yards rushing for the game with Maroney leading the stable with 28 yards.

Final: 59- 0 (Patriots)

Week 4: at 49ers (3-0)

The 49ers passed on 92% of their plays this season but A. Smith was not playing stellar. With that said, a few zone blitzes with N. Asomugha man-covering I. Bruce meant that Smith was held to under 200 yards passing for the day. Frank Gore only rushed for 9 yards and his status is already showing he is unhappy with his playing time; hopefully, he will be on the trade block next season and take over for Alexander once he retires. Tom Brady had another 158.3 performance with 328 yards and 4 TD’s. Brady has thrown no interceptions for the year still and has taken only 4 sacks. Keith Rivers was held in check somehow and he was only able to get 1 sack and 4 tackles. Regardless, he will take over for Bruschi after the bye week.

Final: 45-3 (Patriots)

Week 5: Bye Week

Keith Rivers was named the starter at MLB and J. Seau took over as the second ROLB to be used in Nickel 1-5-5 formations. Ray Rice was named the second string running back above Alexander and Faulk at 3rd and 4th string, respectively. Andre Woodson was placed on trade block after racking up monster states of 328 yards, 2 TD’s and 0 INT after 3 complete quarters of play. There were multiple offers ranging from 4th round picks to 2nd round picks but the Ravens won the cake by a large margin offering up their (2009, 1) and (2010, 2). After Woodson’s trade, K. Jordan (85 THP, 98 THA, and 98 AWR, 84 POT) was activated to the 53-man roster to take his spot. LOLB Eric Alexander was added to the practice squad as a result. Multiple resigning also took place during the bye week:

· H. Smithers (NT) signed a 2-yr/$660K contract.
· J. Sullivan (RT) signed a 6-yr/$5.0M contract with $1.0M guaranteed.
· A. Crummey (RG) signed a 2-yr/$480K contract.
· D. Connolly (C) signed a 2-yr/$620K contract.
· W. Britt (LT) signed a 2-yr/$620K contract.
· C. Stewart (FB) signed a 6-yr/$2.1M contract with $500K guaranteed.
· K. Jordan (QB) signed a 2-yr/$480K contract.

Week 6: at Chargers (4-0)

For the first time this whole season, the Patriots defense seemed vulnerable after giving up 21 points in the first half to Rivers and company. However, in the second half the heat settled and I blitzed only twice the whole quarter, making Rivers throw into coverage. This resulted in 2 INT and only 1 field goal the rest of the game. The offense had some trouble with the running game but Tom Brady was on fire throwing for 421 yards and 5 TD’s.

Final: 48-24 (Patriots)

Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Rookie

Week 7: vs. Broncos (5-0)

This game was one for the record books as the Broncos Man coverage scheme was no match for Brady’s cerebral attack and the zone running scheme (how ironic). Brady had 8 TD’s and set the record for most touchdown passes in a game as well as most consecutive passes complete with 24. We only had 58 yards rushing but it was on 12 attempts and was enough to control the clock in critical moments in the game. Rivers was silent during the game with 4 tackles and an interception which was returned for a touchdown but he was 4 crucial pass deflections.
Final: 70-0 (Patriots)

Week 8: vs. Rams (6-0)

There was nothing spectacular about this game other than the one-sided score. Everyone performed to their expected greatness and the offense worked as a complete unit. Next week’s game will be a lot tougher however. Rivers had a season-high 12 tackles, 2 for losses, and a sack.

Final: 59-7 (Patriots)

Week 9: at Colts (7-0)

This is the yearly showdown on Sunday night that everyone looks forward to. They did pose a challenge during the first quarter where Manning turned a touchback into a touchdown with accurate passes but after some defensive adjustments to account for the quick timing passes into zone coverage, we had Peyton Manning under whatever control we can expect to have. The key to winning this game was clear – prevent Manning from getting the ball and we did just that by running the rock 40 times. Both Rice and Maroney were in the triple digits. The Colts defense is strong on the sides, but with Mankins and Faneca working to solidify the interior, we were able to run at the gut for huge gains. As a result, Brady remained quiet at 234 yards.

Final: 44-14 (Patriots)

Week 10: vs. Bills (8-0)

After a highlight performance by the backs during the previous week, the running game was at its peak and the game plan was to keep running the ball with purpose. As a result, both Maroney and Rice had over 100 yards and Alexander rushed for 54 yards. Brady was quiet again with a 1-TD performance with 234 yards. Rivers had a great day against Lynch with 11 tackles, 7 for a loss (yes, seven!) and 2 sacks.

Final: 45-17 (Patriots)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Rookie

Week 11: vs. Jets (9-0)

Benjamin Watson and Richard Seymour were injured after the first half and Mike Peterson and Jarvis Green had to pick up for them for the rest of the game. Peterson proved he can be a solid starter in the league in a few years after catching 5 balls for 47 yards in Man Coverage. Jarvis Green did a stellar job of containing the run while Tony Bake was substituted for him during Pass Rush situations. Hopefully, we can have Seymour back next week since he can both Pass Rush and play the Run effectively. The running game went into triple digits again with Brady torching the Man Coverage (including the Revis-Moss match up) for 359 yards and 3 TD’s. Brady is still perfect on the season with no interceptions and is on mark for breaking the record for most completions without an interception (317).

Final: 45-3 (Patriots)

Week 12: at Dolphins (10-0)

The Patriots had their second shut-down performance of the season against the Dolphins. Very little else needs to be said other than the fact that Richard Seymour was back in action and garnered 2 sacks against Jake Long. The defense had 5 interceptions with Asomugha getting 2 and Rivers 1.

Final: 61-0 (Patriots)

Week 13: vs. Steelers (11-0)

After the Patriots defense ranked at No.1, the Steelers came in next at No.2 in yards and I knew going in the game will be decided upon the success of my running game. However, the running game was only decent and gained 88 yards. Brady was held to a season low 234 yards on 21 attempts with 2 TD’s but the defense stepped up with a return touchdown by K. Phillips. The Pittsburgh offense is easy to stop once you know what they try to do: run verticals on the outside with the slot receiver looking to bait the safety. With zone coverage, this problem disappears and I was able to shut down their offense and the only score came off a Maroney fumble returned for six.

Final: 30-7 (Patriots)
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Rookie

Week 14: at Seahawks (12-0)

For some reason, this game appeared to be the hardest in terms of game planning. The Seahawks seemed be exactly 50-50 in the offensive ratio and their offensive line gave my linebackers trouble in getting to the backfield after Walter Jones was able to handle Seymour one on one. Regardless, the offensive unit of Seattle was held to 10 points due to three costly turnovers in the red zone and my effective passing game against their weak secondary (M. Trufant was injured). Rivers had 10 tackles, 4 for a loss, and 2 sacks on the game with the other rookies making their case as well.

Final: 59-10 (Patriots)

Week 15: at Raiders (13-0)

Our West Coast road trip continued with Oakland next as Moss returned to prove Al Davis wrong. Tom Brady threw for 5 TD’s and 396 yards and broke the record for most completions without a pick at 328. Surprisingly, the defense only had one sack as we were playing the Run most of the game. The ironic part was that the Raiders Rover formation was what allowed me to shut them down.

Final: 55-7 (Patriots)

Week 16: vs. Cardinals (14-0)

The Cardinals were easy to beat due to Warner’s injury but Edge ran for 70 yards (individual season high for the defense) on 18 carries. However, Brady torched another weak secondary with 470 yards and 6 TD’s as he broke the record for most passing yards on the season surpassing the 5100 yard mark. K. Rivers broke the rookie record for sacks after his 15th sack and topped the 100 tackle mark to possibly secure his Defensive MVP and Defensive Rookie of The Year awards. Randy Moss also broke the record for most yards in a season surpassing the 1900 yard mark with one week left to prove our dominance over the league.

Final: 51-3 (Patriots)

Week 17: at Bills. (15-0)

The weather in Buffalo was all but hospitable as a snowstorm passed the area throughout the whole game with searing winds over 20 mph and low visibility. However, given Brady’s record in snow games the condition brought with it blessings of 407 yards and 3 TD’s for Brady. Maroney finally went over the 1000 yard mark for his career on 198 carries.

Final: 36-14 (Patriots)

- Whoever reading this might think these games were restarted if I played wrong but that is not the case. I played through the game no matter the situation. There were multiple penalties that made me jump in my seat and other moments where the plays were truly remarkable. Hence, the season is proof that if you make the right play calls and have the right personnel, brilliance is just a fingertip away.

Following next will be the season statistics recap as well as the post-season and I hope you all enjoyed the reading.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Rookie

Season Stats: (Pro Bowl Players)
- QB T. Brady: 5561 yards, 63 TD, 0 INT, 158.3 Rating, 11 Sack, 79% completion
- HB L. Maroney: 198 attempts for 1008 yards (5.1), 6 TD, 1 Fumble
- FB C. Stewart: 9 attempts for 18 yards, 7 TD
- WR R. Moss: 106 receptions, 2051 yards, 22 TD, 1 drop
- WR W. Welker: 110 receptions, 1362 yards, 22 TD, 1 drop
- TE B. Watson: 41 receptions, 812 yards, 8 TD, 0 drop
- TE V. Davis: 52 receptions, 702 yards, 4 TD, 3 drops
- LG L. Mankins: 22 pancakes, 1 sack allowed
- RG A. Faneca: 24 pancakes, 2 sacks allowed
- LE T. Warren: 31 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, 4 sacks
- RE R. Seymour: 41 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 3 sacks
- MLB K. Rivers: 108 tackles, 45 tackles for loss, 17 sacks, 5 interceptions, 11 deflections
- ROLB A. Thomas: 86 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, 1 interception, 4 deflections
- LOLB M. Vrabel: 61 tackles, 22 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 4 interceptions, 4 deflections
- CB N. Asomugha: 35 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, 6 interceptions, 8 deflections, 40% catch allowed
- CB E. Hobbs: 55 tackles, 4 interceptions, 11 deflections, 53% catch allowed, 2 forced fumbles
- FS K. Phillips: 44 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 6 interceptions, 13 deflections, 3 forced fumbles
- SS R. Harrison: 57 tackles, 8 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 9 deflections, 1 forced fumble
- K A. Serna: 29/34 field goals, 85/140 touchbacks on kickoffs

Season Stats: (Other Notables)

- HB R. Rice: 113 attempts for 672 yards, 10 touchdowns
- HB S. Alexander: 104 attempts for 517 yards, 5 touchdowns and 1 fumble
- HB K. Faulk: 39 attempts for 169 yards, 2 touchdowns
- WR D. Hackett: 40 receptions for 811 yards, 9 touchdowns
- LT M. Light: 18 pancakes, 1 sack allowed
- RT N. Kaczur: 17 pancakes, 2 sacks allowed
- MLB T. Bruschi: 39 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 1 interception

Season Stats (Team Stats)

- Offense: 7961 yards (1), 51.3 points per game (1), 5748 pass yards (1), 2213 rush yards (4)
- Offense: 66 passing TD (1) and 32 rushing TD (1)
- Defense: 6935 yards (1), 123 points (1), 57 sacks (1), 27 interceptions (2), 6 fumble recovers (10)
- Defense: 5657 pass yards (3) and 1278 rush yards (1)
- Turnovers: +28 differential (1), 33 takes (2), 5 gives (1), 5 fumbles lost (32)

Last edited by DassTheBoss; 12-29-2012 at 05:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »