Home

CPU Press Coverage?

This is a discussion on CPU Press Coverage? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
CPU Press Coverage?

Has anyone ever seen the CPU utilize press coverage? I don't think I've ever seen it happen. There's obviously the "Release" special skill, but I've been wondering if that even makes a difference in this game, since I can't ever recall when the CPU has tried bump and run. Plus, it would make the "Strong WR" philosophy less useful. Any observations that either confirm or deny this would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Rookie

thoro_headz's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: CPU Press Coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker19
Has anyone ever seen the CPU utilize press coverage? I don't think I've ever seen it happen. There's obviously the "Release" special skill, but I've been wondering if that even makes a difference in this game, since I can't ever recall when the CPU has tried bump and run. Plus, it would make the "Strong WR" philosophy less useful. Any observations that either confirm or deny this would be appreciated.
No. I've never seen the CPU utilize press coverage. I know that DBs will fight your WRs sometimes as come off of the line of scrimmage, but I've never seen the DBs step up the way they do when the HUM chooses press from the pre-snap options. I've also never seen the computer show blitz.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

Why would the CPU utilize press coverage when the deep pass is so successful? I'd say there's a 90% success rate on deep passes in the game.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

No, the cpu will not press usually at all(except rex ryans team, starts with ravens) because as mrs mentioned, the deep pass is killer in this game. At 50 pass accuracy(default slider) you can complete 75% of deep passes every game EASILY(even in the wind). At 25 pass accuracy, you will see more errant throws(over under and to both sides of the receiver) but they will still be able to connect on at least 50% if you have an elite qb(Mannings(plural) brady rodgers brees, etc).

But to expand on what mrs said, this game makes the best defensive call it can MOST of the time(****ty coaches will still make ****ty decisions here or there). By that I dont mean picking the right play to stop you, but for the situation, what play is least likely to get BLOWN UP/BEAT DEEP. Same reasoning accounts for long field goals(past the 30). Its a risk to take a 47 yarder, because missing means you give the other team the ball at their 37. So they usually punt instead hoping to get you stuck inside the 10 with a coffin corner.

Same principles applies to press coverage, its a risk. Most teams in the real nfl dont really call bump and run(press) unless they have elite cbs or they have an extreme pass rush(as to make sure the qb has no where to throw before the rush gets there). And even if they do use press, its usually rare because you dont want to give your opponent a chance to release and be wide open. Elite wrs will eat press coverage for breakfast...

Thats why teams play a LOT of cover 2 3 and 4 in this game. Doesnt have to be a full zone either, plays like 2 man under and those combo coverage plays where the inside cbs are man mlb is zone and the 4 starting dbs do cover 4(the packers love cover 4). They do this because its bend but dont break philosophy. You dont break the defense by sending a big blitz with just man coverage and no one helping deep. The same applies to press. you dont call it unless you have deep protection(ie safeties in cover 2 at least) and you have amazing cbs/great pass rush.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »