Home

The key to making the game harder

This is a discussion on The key to making the game harder within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2016, 10:35 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 18
The key to making the game harder

Like many people, I find myself coming back to this awesome game, but I had the issue of it being too easy. I tried a few new franchises and each time won the Super Bowl in my first year and very quickly established dominance. But I've found a way to make it challenging.

The performance rating

I normally would get it to level 3 or 4 right at the start because of it's awesomeness. But I wondered how it would go if I left it at one.

Well, not only did I have a losing record for the first time ever (7-9), I got FIRED at the end of year one. That's a far cry from the first year title each year. Disappointed I got ****-canned that quickly, but it adds some good intrigue. So if you find the game is too easy, keep your HC's performance to 1 and see what happens.

(Also, starting in the preseason with Washington is a hell of a challenge, all of their good players are old and injury prone. I was looking forward to navigating cap hell with them, but stupid Dan Snyder!)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The key to making the game harder

Out of curiosity, are you playing or simming with 1 performance? Because on the field it honestly doesn't feel like performance does much, but if I sim games at performance 4 or 5 I get way more upsets than I should, and 1-2 I lose to bottom dwellers with a team of all stars.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 18

Playing. I've tried playing with super-sim and regular sim and it bores me honestly.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Rookie

Toastandtoaster's Arena

I've have good like with Goody's sliders. Make for a much more realistic game. And with more realism, it is harder. Yeah some games are going to get out of hand quick but it is a video game at its core. I also find that starting in preseason is harder than off season. It's just too easy to stockpile picks for the known sleepers. Or even better if you do want to start in the off season, purposely drafts busts. I'm a believer in playing for childhood favorite team/playing where you are from or have played boosts morale "not actually in game" and makes it easier to play there. So if I'm playing as the broncos, and two players are available in the draft, no potentials unlocked from either and one is from Colorado or a nearby state apposed to the other being from Florida or somewhere far away, I'd pick the one closest to home. Yes you will get busts, but I'm my own thinking, it makes the game harder and more realistic as it is what I would actually do as a coach.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Toastandtoaster's Arena

Thought of another way to increase difficulty and some slight realism depending on how you look at it. The day before a game, not of a game because the timer always winds down, roll a dice. Go online or an app or whatever and use a random number generator. Set the numbers 1-99. Hit it the number of time it says on the die. If any of the numbers are of your players, take them off the depth chart for the game. Obviously if game injuries climb ad for are down to minimum use them. The game can only allow so much out of console house rules. Any way, I find that this simulates a lot of the small, quick healing, nagging injuries that happen in real life that the game doesn't provide. How often does one see a star lineman play well all game. Only to read in the paper next Sunday in the game preview that he rolled his ankle or something and is fine long-term but in capable of playing on. Yeah the game does have practice injuries and I love the injury system more than any Madden I have played, but I find that it just didn't have quite enough injuries to match what I see on sunday. Sorry for the long post that could have been summed up in far fewer sentences.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Rookie

Toastandtoaster's Arena

New thought for difficulty. No cutting contracts. Trades are fine since the players still get the length on a new team, but for everything else besides preseason minimum roster cuts, players play out their contract til not resigning them. Aging RB with with 4 yrs left, trades OK, but no cutting. It's a contract for goodness sake. The GM should honor the definition of a contract. A whole new level of difficulty for starting as the raiders.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »