Home

Getting a passing offense working in Head Coach 06

This is a discussion on Getting a passing offense working in Head Coach 06 within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Getting a passing offense working in Head Coach 06

I absolutely love the original Head Coach game but it is incredibly frustrating in many ways. My current career is with the Falcons, in year one I did the traditional draft strategy of trading up to get a top five pick, which turned out to be Vince Young (I traded Vick to the Packers to get it so he's like a straight replacement). Then Reggie Bush fell to me at fifteen...it seems to be hard coded that no matter what your draft position in 2006 Reggie Bush will fall to you, anyway -

Vince is having a terrible time, although the Falcons are 3-1 that is down to a strong running game, allied to a D that just doesn't give up any points. I have looked through the ancient threads about this and there were similar tales of woe ten years ago. I have used the WR Progression 'trick' of having him only look at the first two receiving options and then setting the third choice as 'Scramble'. He picks up like 70 yards a game on the ground but his passing stats are ridiculously bad - 0 TD's and 12 picks through four games, less than 100 yards passing in two of them.

Apart from the WR Progression thing I also have his strategy set to 'Focus on the shorter routes' and 'Don't force the ball' - god knows how many picks he would have without those orders!

The Falcons have mediocre receivers because Roddy White hadn't turned into RODDY WHITE yet and the only semi decent WR is Peerless Price rated 82, picked up in Free Agency.

I have an idea which is this 4 point plan -

1) Only run passing plays where Crumpler and Bush are the primary receivers as they are rated 85 and 91 respectively. So lots of HB screens/options and TE crossing routes.

2) Move Price to the number 2 WR slot because the number 1 guy ALWAYS get double coverage, no matter what defense the other team has called.

3) In WR Progressions make Price the number 2 option for every play so Young might see him in single coverage before the Scramble order kicks in.

4) He takes a ton of sacks, I may tinker with line shifts to see if I can protect him better.

Sorry this post is so long but if anyone still plays this game and can remember any tricks to get a crappy passing game going I would appreciate any responses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Getting a passing offense working in Head Coach 06

So...

Next game against a tough Giants Defense I implemented points 1-3 in the previous post and Vince went 19 of 26 for 317 yards and a TD with zero interceptions I guess there is a reason they put all those options in the game!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Rookie

Toastandtoaster's Arena

I've never done any deep research into it, but I believe your strategy, and motivation skills do matter. Motivation here isn't relative but I assume every motivation choice has a certain percentage of passing and your skill determines the percentage. Similar with the strategy skill. I always figured that the higher your skill, the better chance of the player to "listen" to your strategy. Would make sense if that was the game logic. But I've never done any testing. As always being unable to control the players, awareness has to literally be the single most important attribute across the board in all positions besides special teams. So yeah, you could tell your granny with noodle arms and missing glasses and no knowledge about football to read the CB depth on their cover 3 defense for quick slants, but that doesn't mean she will be able to correctly make the read and make the correct throw. I don't exactly know Vince's awareness off hand or your strategy skill but this would be my thoughts on it. Last thought, no matter the strategy told, Payton Manning always makes the correct read and throws and no matter how much is told, tavaris Jackson will never be a good let alone average quarterback.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Rookie

Toastandtoaster's Arena

Side note about your running game, I love running the ball in all football games but this one is rough. Yeah stats will be good/great depending on the skill of the players, but the AI is pretty wonky. Iform twins to the left. Defense in 4-3 base man coverage so one linebacker needs to be accounted for blocking in the second level. Off tackle handoff to the right side. Should be a good, if not big gain. The RT and TE tag team the LE. Good start. They then both at the same time to run to block the safeties while the FB decides it's best to tackle the head coach on the left sideline and the HB follows, running into QB causing him to either freeze or no matter what the speed, he is instantly turned into a 20 speed turtle and tries to scramble. If the handoff is completed, the RB still follows the FBs main direction. Whether the handoff is completed or not, in my experience running plays on 1/4 of occasion turns into a AI mess. Another 1/4 is play works as supposed to with correct holes opened and chosen to run through. The last 1/2, holes are opened, but the RB decides to be a domino instead of a bus driving down the open lanes and runs into a pile of people constantly til tackled for a loss of the defense AI gets stupid and the HB runs for a 80 bomb after running into stagnant olinemen for 5 seconds. I love this game and the 09 version. But for this one, I have never seemed to find a consistently good AI running game. HB sweep, nobody in front Reggie bush with 98 speed gets a 4 yard loss because he speed burst straight out of bounds. Had plenty of time to try and turn but no, sprinting at the coach for 20 yards was a good idea. Sorry for the long rant. I love sharing my laughable woes in AI. I have many more.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 AM   #5
Rookie

HC 06 is my fav all time game. Im gonna spread what i know around here over time because i have several answers to several issues!

To this offense:
Theres more than one way to get the passing game going.

1) tell all the receivers/TEs as a group before the kickoff "dont break your route off early". That helps the route combos work right.

2) If you tell one of your stafting WRs to use speed, it will open up the passing attack. Keep in mind, this seems to hinder how well that receivers routes are run. (The clown route is a ridiculous route to begin witb, let alone adding more speed to all those lil cuts hahaha

Let me know how it works for ya

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »