Home

2007-2008 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

This is a discussion on 2007-2008 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
2007-2008 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

I figured I'd create this so we wouldn't take over any threads with Steeler talk.

Responding to CowerPower (from the rate your draft thread):

- I was also surprised about the TE pick. It looks like this guy is a very good blocking TE, but isn't the strongest receiver. I heard Tomlin likes to run 2 TE sites near the goal line. Could this mean the end of Tuman or would Tuman be #2 and this guy #3?

- I really like Woodley. I'm also a Michigan fan so.... Honestly, I haven't seen enough of Timmons to really comment on him.

- The punter we signed has a career average of 45 yds. Not too shabby. I think Gardocki has to be on his way out. He's been pretty poor for 2 years straight. Cowher loved him so he kept him over Barr last year. I was impressed with Barr during the preseason. Looks like it's a 3 man race now.

- The CB we signed (Gay?), sounds like another Nickel/Dime guy. Pretty small, but supposed to be very intelligent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
MVP

wayne23's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: 2007-2008 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
I figured I'd create this so we wouldn't take over any threads with Steeler talk.

- I was also surprised about the TE pick. It looks like this guy is a very good blocking TE, but isn't the strongest receiver. I heard Tomlin likes to run 2 TE sites near the goal line. Could this mean the end of Tuman or would Tuman be #2 and this guy #3?

- I really like Woodley. I'm also a Michigan fan so.... Honestly, I haven't seen enough of Timmons to really comment on him.

- The punter we signed has a career average of 45 yds. Not too shabby. I think Gardocki has to be on his way out. He's been pretty poor for 2 years straight. Cowher loved him so he kept him over Barr last year. I was impressed with Barr during the preseason. Looks like it's a 3 man race now.

- The CB we signed (Gay?), sounds like another Nickel/Dime guy. Pretty small, but supposed to be very intelligent.
Thanks for the thread. Man I visited a few Steelers boards across the net and they're mixed emotions about the Steelers draft. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I really like how the Steelers addressed their needs across the board in this year's draft. Timmons going first wasn't really a suprise to me (that's why I picked him first in the OS mock draft) after hearing how well he interviewed and of course with the loss of Porter the Steelers needed to address that position. I didn't think Woodley would be there for us in the second but things work out well there.(I also hear he's a diehard Steeler fan.) As for the other picks? We'll have to wait and see how they pan out. BTW, I think we just picked up an UDFA running back from Minnesota, Gary Russell.

And this guy is NOT your average punter. Click on the link below and see why.

http://www.baylortv.com/streaming/000641/300kbps_str.asx

Last edited by wayne23; 04-30-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Yeah the Steelers signed 11 FA's. Here's the list from the PG:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07120/782226-66.stm

Clay mentioned in another thread that he thought WR Eric Deslaurius would have a legit chance to make a team. He's 26 years old though.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

Steelers got Woody and Des... now I gotta watch some Steelers preseason.

Deslauriers is a nice player (despite being a dirty Canadian). I think a lot of people want to believe that his numbers came from the Eastern Michigan spread O... but he's a legit player. Plus, he went to Eastern... so he's good people.

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay
Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124

point1- I could see this as Tuman on the way out,I don't know just a feeling.I also remember hearing Tomlin talk about the different Offensive sets,which leads to my understanding of why they drafted Dallas Baker,as him being taller,Colbert (I think) was saying his size will help near the goal line.
Also, Colbert was saying the cb (Gay) is in the same mold as Deshea,so we'll see about that.Does this put McFadden or Colclough's job in jeopardy?

Regarding the punter.....I read that he had something like 80 punts inside the 20? that's crazy..plus add he gets good hang time,and he's a soccer end over end type of punter.

I think all in all,it will turn out pretty good. I'm just wondering how much of a change it will be with all the different types of offensive formations Tomlin wants to implement.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
-

Karlos05's Arena

I think the reason why many people think this is a "bad" draft is because they don't realize how things are changing. This isn't Cowher anymore. If you take nothing else from this draft take this A.) We're moving to a more open offense. and B.) We're moving to a 4-3 or hybrid defense much earlier than I anticipated

Timmons and Woodley obviously fill the immediate need at linebacker. Timmons looked to be Tomlin's guy from the get go so it's not a real shocker. A little disappointed that we didn't move down a couple spots to stock up on extra picks in the first because I don't think Timmons was going anywhere. Both guys have concerns about their size and might be easily swallowed up by tackles on the rush. One thing that must happen this year, GET THEM PLAYING TIME! There were times Cowher would stubbornly stick to not letting rookies play. Woodley right now is our best pass rusher. Get them on the field.

I kinda like Spaeth. First it means that Tuman's days are numbered, which is cause for celebration by itself. It also means we're going to be going to the 2TE set more often or the 4WR option with the possibility of Miller or Spaeth being flexed out to flanker. This looks to be the end of Cowher's "power" football days. Not this year, but next, I expect Krieder to be gone and the Steelers running 2TE as their base formation. Steelers will let Parker get his yards that way, not the 3 yards and cloud of dust MO that Cowher had. Also Spaeth is a pretty damn good football player. He can catch, he's tall and more importantly he can block. Heath Miller got absolutely abused last year on the line. It was quite sad. Spaeth should help to protect Ben more than last year.

Day Two: I think the Steelers may have hit this year on day two more than the last 5 or 6 years. A winner under the Cowher regime in day two was a guy who made it to the practice squad for a week. I like the guys we got this year.

-Sepulveda looks like a stud. Tomlin says its a two punter race in camp so either Barr of Gardocki is gone shortly. Wasn't thrilled with trading up to get him, but with the other punter gone Steelers felt they needed to. We had picks to burn so no harm no foul I guess.

-McBean could be the best value pick of the draft. He's already pretty well developed and should be able to step in quickly for depth on the d-line. Good pick.

-Stephenson looks like he can maybe help down the road. Going to have to take some time to develop him but maybe he can turn into something for next year when free agency tears the o-line apart.

-Gay looks like a special teamer. He was too slow at Louisville and probably shouldn't be playing much unless we get into dire straights. He's probably Chidi Iwouma part II.

-Dallas Baker. I don't know that much about him. Rumor is he's a little slow to play at this level. I love the pick though. Usually by this time Cowher and Colbert have mailed it in and started making plans for next weeks tee time.

Also color me intrigued by the UDFA signing of Gary Russell. He's dumb as a rock but if he dedicates himself I think he can stick on the roster. He's gotta be better than John Kuhn.

Anyways I like the draft overall. If we had to do the next day grading game I think a B-/B is in order. It may not be what people expected, but I think the Steelers got good players at every spot in the draft and that can't be overlooked.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I dont see how anyone could get the impression that we're switching to a 4-3 from this draft. It's got 3-4 written all over it.

I give the draft a C+ overall, though.

I really would have liked to have seen them address CB and OG/C earlier in the draft.

I do LOVE the Timmons pick though. The kiid is a freaky athlete and often compared to Robert Brooks and LaVar Arrington in terms of athleticism.

I dont really understand the Woodley pick. I dont like going with another OLB when we've got a pro-bowler and a decent back-up on the team already, plus now a first round rookie. I feel, however, that he could get more immediate playing time than Timmons because he is a tremendous pass-rusher.

I didn't understand the Spaeth pick at first, but I guess it makes sense. Tuman isn't getting any younger and he's the only decent TE behind Heath Miller. Spaeth is big and a superb blocker as well as a decent pass catcher. Only real knock on him is his speed... but, c'mon, he's a TE.

I thought it was awfully weird that we traded up for a punter. There isn't going to be any punting race... this kid is going to start right away. I was reading scouting reports and one of the few knocks against him was that he often OUTKICKS his coverage. I'd say if there is one knock I'd like to have against my punter, it is just that. It just means he's got to get some more air under his kicks. I read his accuracy isn't great, but he's amazing at pinning it inside the 20 and that is key.

McBean could really bloom into a good 3-4 D-end. I'd like to see him get some immediate playing time in a bit of a rotation. He looks like a good future D-end.

Cameron Stephenson is a hard-worker with a lot of potential from what I hear. He's no heir-apparent to Faneca, but he could be a decent back-up.

I dont think Gay is ever going to make an impact. He's entering into a position that's already crowded by Taylor, Colclough, McFadden, Townsend, and Iwuoma. He does seem to be tough and tackle well, though.

Dallas Baker in the 7th might have been one of the steals of the draft. He's been dubbed "The Touchdown Maker" and was listed on NFLdraftcountown.com as a mid-round wide reciever. The only real knocks against him are timed speed and a disinterest in going over the middle.

I think it's pretty obvious we're sticking with the 3-4 for a while. Timmons can play in either a 3-4 or a 4-3, but Woodley is a 3-4 OLB and McBean is a 3-4 D-end.

I'm hoping we dont start to faze out Kreider. The guy is one of the best blocking backs in the NFL. However, the recent trend has been to go to a two TE/three WR look.

All in all, I just wish they would have addressed CB and OG earlier. The late CB pick was almost a waste in my eyes with all the young talent already there at that position.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
-

Karlos05's Arena

I don't know how this solidifies the notion of solely staying in a 3-4. Everyone of the picks is someone who is flexible and you can make a very strong argument Timmons fits better in a 4-3 than a 3-4.

Both Timmons and Woodley are undersized to play OLB in a strict 3-4 alignment. They'll get eaten by the bigger tackles in the league. Timmons has the aggressive streak to negate the size disadvantage, and drops into coverage well but he's still not your prototypical 3-4OLB. I think he can succeed at the position, but I think he's also well suited to play the 4-3.

And, in my opinion, the best evidence towards a hybrid is Woodley. He's got a size/speed combination that the Steelers haven't seen in a while. I think if everything plays out right, he could thrive in a Willie McGinest role switching from hand down rusher to standing OLB the next play.

The way I think it all plays out is, we play the 3-4 this year getting Timmons work at OLB and Woodley work as a situational pass rusher. Next year Haggans walks and both Woodley and Timmons step into the lineup to create a very strong hybrid defense. ILB will be weak by then and on offense we'll need to remake the offensive line in the 08 draft.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »