Home

No online for Cube at e3

This is a discussion on No online for Cube at e3 within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2003, 06:11 PM   #1
d*v*'s * k*ll*r!

ThatCanadianGuy's Arena

OVR: 12
No online for Cube at e3

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...p(que)id=89167

Nintendo of Europe dropped a bombshell earlier today, confirming to us that the company as a whole will not be showing any first-party online-enabled titles at this year's E3.
The alarm bells started to ring when gaming legend Shigeru Miyamoto poured water on the prospect of Mario Kart online in a recent interview with the US press. But it was still widely expected that Nintendo would have other online projects ready to be unveiled at E3 in May.

Earlier today, however, Nintendo of Europe PR manager Shelly Friend, speaking with us exclusively at the launch exhibition for GBA SP in London, shattered these expectations, stating categorically that there would be no first-party online software in evidence at the Los Angeles show.

When asked whether she felt Nintendo's online strategy sat a little awkwardly next to that of Microsoft and Sony, Friend told us: "Online is what everyone is currently focusing on, but that does not necessarily mean that it is here and now. The fact that all these games can be playable online doesn't mean people will be. It's a nice, sexy thing to talk about but I think the reality is a little way off."

Elaborating on Nintendo's position she added: "I know our stance always seems like we're dissing it or ignoring it, but Nintendo's been looking at connectivity and online elements for many, many years - probably a lot longer than anyone else - and is continuing to.

"Nintendo is about making things mass market and we do not see this yet as mass market. If online can bring that element of unique surprising gameplay, then it will form a part of Nintendo's plans, but until that is ready then we won't."

At this point we asked her outright: so there won't be any first-party online titles at E3? "No," was the short, sharp answer we received.

Nintendo's stance is therefore clear: it's all about creating unique, innovative experiences that it doesn't currently believe are achievable online. "I think the key thing now is that we're focusing on games that everyone can play," said Friend.

But one thing Nintendo is expected to unveil at E3 is some kind of LAN connectivity for GameCube, which will allow for expanded multiplayer if not the full online play people were hoping for. Friend refused to comment on this matter.

------

That's pretty much the nail in Mario Kart Online's coffin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28
Re: No online for Cube at e3

Damn, but I'm not complaining. I have 3 friends, as long as the multi-player aspect is up to nintendo's standards, I'll be okay.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #3
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: No online for Cube at e3

Too bad for those people who bought the adapter for PSO. Nintendo believes it's not a money maker. I wish they had online gaming as it helps sell consoles, but I won't be missing out since I can't do it anyways. My computer and TV are in different rooms. Still I'm hoping at E3 there going mention release dates for Mario Tennis, Mario Kart (both of these games are great for 4 player) and Too Human (this game was suppose to be on the PS1 with 4 disks before Nintendo bought out the company, this game has been in the making for over 4yrs I think).

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »