Home

Future of Uncharted Series

This is a discussion on Future of Uncharted Series within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #25
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Future of Uncharted Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
I think i'm going to bump up a old thread for the first time ever. I am replaying the drake collection so that's got me thinking what's next for the series or is it just time to ride off in the sunset ? The rumors are someone is working on uncharted 5 which I assume wont be naughty dog. Would the way uncharted works even work today with everything being so open world crazy ?

Here is a link on the rumors
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...n-diego-studio
I think there's definitely room for games like Uncharted. Yes, a lot of people love open world games, but the main things that open world games lack that Uncharted has is those big action scenes (maneuvering around a burning building that's falling apart, being dragged my a motorcycle, trying to climb up a derailed train that's hanging off of the side of a mountain, etc.). You don't see those in open world games (not like they are in Uncharted anyway).

I can see the pros and cons of both but I'm much more of a linear guy myself. I prefer a good story and big action scenes over the openness of an open world simply because open worlds are almost too distracting at times. I so like open world games too but personally I rarely ever finish them because there's so much fluff to do. There are some games that are better at having good meaningful side missions than others (Sleeping Dogs comes to mind) but most of them start dragging and feeling redundant to me after awhile and I get bored of them.

With all of that said, I'm not sure what I'd think about an UC5. I would almost lean towards introducing a whole new cast of characters because I feel like Drake's story has been told. If Naughty Dog isn't the developer then I'll probably be a little less excited but Sony doesn't really mess around with exclusives so I'm sure they'll bring their A game.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #26
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

God of War 4 was fantastic so I think a game can still come back for more, change some things and be great.

I think you can still have Drake and a new sidekick. A few things that I might like seeing are more dangers in platforming and perhaps some RPG skills. I definitely want an offline, linear story like GOW4. You can still roam a bit but there is clear direction. That game had RPG stuff too.

For me the platforming in Uncharted felt like a chore at times because there was no threat. And there were too many cut scenes at times. The game needs a good balance.

As long as it has a good story, some cool combat in both stealth and large open area battles I will be buying.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #27
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

The only way I would continue to follow the series without Nathan in the lead role is to have him be the new Sully and his daughter be the new lead.

Without a Drake in the lead role then it isn't Uncharted to me.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #28
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Threw me for a loop reading the original post until I looked at the date, lol.

I think there is a future eventually for this franchise. Set up perfectly for the next generation of Drakes.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #29
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I had never owned a Playstation before the PS4, but this quickly became my favorite video game series of all-time. I'm sure I would love a new Uncharted game; they're simply awesome games to play. And I'm sure I'd even get on board with a new one that follows the Drake family again. However, I thought they ended Uncharted 4 so perfectly that I almost don't want to see it messed with.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 05-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #30
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

I think (could be wrong) that uncharted appeals to the casual gamer a little more then the hardcore one. With the fact that its not open world, doesn't take 50 hours to complete and has the movie type big pieces mixed with simple gameplay. If they release a 5th game and its not made by naughty dog, you don't play as Nathan and its still not open world. It seems like that would be 3 major strikes against it right off the bat. Its going to be very tricky for them to balance using the same formula that some will think is dated and stale or mix changing it up to much and making their hardcore fans made.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #31
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Uncharted isn't an open world series and never should be. Every game doesn't need to be open world, and I absolutely hate that some people think open world automatically = better. A tight narrative focus with excellent gameplay and fun set pieces is what this series is all about.

There are plenty of open world games out there and I would argue that many of them are actually worse because of it. Just because a map CAN be created to allow me to drive from point A to B doesn't mean that it SHOULD be. Very few developers do open world correctly. The rest simply diminish their games' stories and increase the tedium by trying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #32
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

^ While true, I'm not sure how much I love the scripted approach either, and I mean to the letter.

Like in The Last of Us, you can take many encounters with a stealth approach, or from any angle that you want to. It's linear storytelling, but you have a broadened space to work with (so to speak). The point A to pint B is less clear, and it's really cool at the same time.

That said, I agree... Uncharted shouldn't be open world.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »