Old 08-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
^^^^^^^ This

This is what has me intrigued about this game. The extreme survival metrics. I mean there are plenty of survival games out there. But this one survival can depend on WHAT you eat as much as the fact that you just ate. On top of the fact of this mechanic you also have what and how much you eat and drink having an effect on your body visually as well as overall health wise.

From my understanding you actually have to work at staying in shape to be able to handle life in the game as well as the combat elements. Start getting heavy and you loose stamina and energy, you wont be able to run as fast or as far, fighting for any length of time will be a dangerous idea. Get to skinny or loosing weight from disease or sickness? You might be faster but health will get lower and resistance will be down.

It appears this game is taking it to the next level. Its not just "I am hungry,eat or I am thirsty, drink" Its I am hungry should I eat fruit, carbs or protein. Do I have enough to have a little bit of it all? Thirsty, do I have CLEAN water?

In theory, this is just an amazing next step in survival games.
Yup that's exactly right. I started off pretty skinny but my protein intake has started to see my muscularity increase. The image is a bit deceiving because I'm not fat as it appears, but I'm wearing multiple layers of clothes BUT I'm surely bigger than I was when I started.

My original build was on the lighter, built for running so I get a 15% bonus for running speed. I've yet to encounter a time it came in handy but if I was ever chased by someone wanting to kill me, it could pay off.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
Wait....there's permadeath?
Yup you lose everything, unless you can make it back to your body to get your gear. Get killed by a player, well kiss it good bye unless you can find him, kill him and take your **** back lol.

That's also partly why I've been keeping this screen shot gallery of my first character. Every character's life will be very different in not only the gear he acquires but also the events he encounters. So I figured it would be a fun little way to tell the story of this first guy and also show you guys a little of what the game has to offer.

Last edited by Phobia; 08-30-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:37 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Day 3

I decided to finally set up a base camp. I spent 45 mins gathering building materials, crafting, and constructing my home base. I built a "dummy" crate with junk in it, right out in the open near my camp in case someone finds the camp. I then stashed a second crate as my main depot, hidden away from the camp. It houses all my main gear and it is filled to the top with everything I would need in case I die.

The lumber yard was required hehe.

After my base camp was built, it was time to ditch all the excess stuff, slim down, and head into a town. I'm suffering from vitamin D deficiency and if I can score some multi-vitamins then I can fix the issue. Sadly that means going into a densely zombie populated city.

As I make my way in and I get rushed by 4 zombies off the start. Some fancy slips, dodges, and blocks later, I'm hurt but not badly. So I continue on my search for vitamins.

Two houses over and I find an M1 grand, a ninja star, and a sick knife sitting on a shelf, but unfortunately the M1 appears bugged. Whenever I aim, it aims behind me lol

I continue on and see a big ol two story which I think should hold several bathrooms, AND medicine cabinets are a good place to find vitamins. So as I'm making my way there, I spook a zombie so I take off sprinting into the building, as I turn to close the door, I see it's two zombies now! I can't get the door shut in time and run upstairs with both zombies right on my hip. I make a sharp left and I'm met with a door, I fling it open hoping to see a window to jump out of. Nope, I'm met with ANOTHER door in a bathroom of all places. I fling that door open and I'm met with a brick wall!! ****, Looks like I have to turn and fight! I pull out my Ka-bar and stab the first one as he charges me and luckily shut the door behind him, trapping the second zombie on the other side. Just then the first zombie closes the gap and pins me against the wall, wailing on me. I couldn't get a swing off, as his hits kept making me stumble. Somehow I break free and land 2 good hits which fold him on the bathroom floor. But I'm now trapped in the bathroom, bleeding, at 48% health, and there is one more pissed off zombie on the other side of the door I have to go through.

After 4 or 5 min of talking myself into it, cutting up bandages to stop the bleeding and debating if I want to go out like this, I finally open the door and went to war with the last guy. I dodged myself around him in the tiny bathroom, got him pinned in the room, and took him out with no problem.

Time to celebrate surviving

Unfortunately at this point, I couldn't continue into the city. I was to heavily hurt, holding to much gear, and needing to get back to base camp so I could drop off all the new goodies.

It looks like I might convert to a ninja

It was a fun exciting night, hopefully tomorrow brings VITAMINS!!

Last edited by Phobia; 08-31-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:51 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Day 4

Well it was bound to happen, I finally kicked the bucket. It wasn't all that bad, I learned some hard lessons and was able to recover all my gear so it turned out good.

I went out in search for the vitamins and was doing pretty good. I found 2 bottles and was planning to make my trip back to the camp when one lone zombie ran up and trapped me in a house. I was centralized of the city and didn't want to fire a shot alerting a dozen zombies on my position. I also didn't want to get into a hand to hand combat situation with it either, so I made the decision I would dash out the back door running from house to house. This turned out to be a horrible decision and a lesson of how the game mechanics in SCUM matter big time.

I was heavily encumbered with gear and never considered how much that would drain my stamina, prevent stamina recovery, make vaulting super slow, and thus result in me unable to run, fight, and must accept death.

Loaded down with gear and found vitamins

As I make a break for it, sprinting out the back door I suddenly noticed my stamina was around 88 after just 2 seconds or so. My running speed was slower as well and the zombie is gaining on me. So I hit a chest high wall to vault it thinking it would slow it down. WRONG, instead it took me forever to climb over and the zombie striking me several times. Now I'm in a sheer run for your life moment and make a break for the tree line. WRONG, zombies are coming from everywhere so I'm forced to turn and fight. WRONG, I had no stamina to swing, no stamina to run, I'm heavily weighted down, and getting beat down. Here is just a few seconds before my final breath.

Notice stamina is 0

Now my camp isn't to far from this city so I spent the 75 fame points to spawn close enough to be able to go recover my gear.

You will never be forgotten!You will always live on thru OS text

So I grabbed my gear, headed back to camp, built another crate to house more gear. I've learned my lesson, lighter, faster, more endurance makes a big difference, and gear greed can get you killed!

Old 08-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #21
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Do you Stream any of this? I am still on the fence as money is a little tight right now. But with every post you wear me down a bit. LOL

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #22
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

My buddy recommend this game to me knowing I'm into survival games; I immediately dismissed it when I checked it (briefly) on Steam after seeing zombies. Not a huge fan of zombie games.

Thanks to your little blog here, Phobia, I'm going to give this another look because it definitely looks pretty damn intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Do you Stream any of this? I am still on the fence as money is a little tight right now. But with every post you wear me down a bit. LOL
I've pretty much backed off streaming, I realized I enjoy my alone free time more than anything. I might try and record some gameplay, but most of it would be mundane stuff like walking in the woods, crafting, or looting and finding waste for a couple hours. It's just like DayZ where the "exciting" parts come random and few & far between BUT it's also what makes their game types unique.

I enjoy the RPG, perma death side of these types of games. I can still remember amazing moments in DayZ from years and years ago just because only these types of games get you so attached to your character. The "story" moments of each character are always so unique and are the perfect canvas for writing out your adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
My buddy recommend this game to me knowing I'm into survival games; I immediately dismissed it when I checked it (briefly) on Steam after seeing zombies. Not a huge fan of zombie games.

Thanks to your little blog here, Phobia, I'm going to give this another look because it definitely looks pretty damn intriguing.
It's basically DayZ in darn near every way. Yet it came out the gate with almost as many features and some even DayZ still currently doesn't have. So if you enjoyed DayZ and couldn't wait until they finally fixed the game enough to warrant playing, then SCUM will feel fresh & exciting.

For me it was the price of entry. I tend to consider my dollars spent to 2x hours in game. If I spend $60 and I spend less than 120 hours in game then I didn't get my money worth. At an early access price of $20 I figured it would be a no brainer I'd hit the 40 hour mark for sure. Well I didn't expect to hit it in 3 days, but before my character died he was sitting at 40 some odd hours of survival.

Another year of development and I could see this being a real winner once base building is in, vehicles, expanded crafting, zombie AI improvements, and all the other small improvements are in. I'm just going to enjoy building stories with my characters and playing it how I played DayZ.

Last edited by Phobia; 08-31-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #24
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Thanks. I knew you used to stream a bit and usually followed when I could.I think we played some Division together once or twice back in the day. Maybe even some Arma.

I do this same thing money wise, except my cutoff is $1 must equal at least an hour of play.

Have you run into people yet, was wondering how populated the servers were if I did play online.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.

Last edited by Bullit; 08-31-2018 at 08:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »