Home

Resimming Ted Williams' Career

This is a discussion on Resimming Ted Williams' Career within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
OOTP Community Manager

OVR: 0
Resimming Ted Williams' Career

I'm working on some ideas for a future blog post, and one of the things I just did was simulate Ted Williams' career from the beginning. I wanted to see what kind of numbers he would end up with had he never had to miss time by serving his country in WW2 and in the Korean War.

This time through his career he ended up with 3 Triple Crowns, including back-to-back TCs in 47 and 48. He won the MVP a record 11 times, compiled 18 All-Star Selections, and making it so the Curse of the Bambino was never a thing, by leading the Red Sox to 3 World Series Championships.

When I did this I was assuming he was going to end up with a ton of hits, and he did (3,594), but what I wasn't really expecting was his power surge. Not only did he erase the Curse of the Bambino, but he also bumped him down the HR Leader list by finishing his career with 727 long balls.

The only thing really lacking from his career this time though was a .400 season. Though, he did come close in 1957 at 38 years old when he finished the year at .396.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Resimming Ted Williams' Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSportsGamer
I'm working on some ideas for a future blog post, and one of the things I just did was simulate Ted Williams' career from the beginning. I wanted to see what kind of numbers he would end up with had he never had to miss time by serving his country in WW2 and in the Korean War.

This time through his career he ended up with 3 Triple Crowns, including back-to-back TCs in 47 and 48. He won the MVP a record 11 times, compiled 18 All-Star Selections, and making it so the Curse of the Bambino was never a thing, by leading the Red Sox to 3 World Series Championships.

When I did this I was assuming he was going to end up with a ton of hits, and he did (3,594), but what I wasn't really expecting was his power surge. Not only did he erase the Curse of the Bambino, but he also bumped him down the HR Leader list by finishing his career with 727 long balls.

The only thing really lacking from his career this time though was a .400 season. Though, he did come close in 1957 at 38 years old when he finished the year at .396.

Excellent stuff...I like this kind of thing. I don't think the power surge is unexpected. He hit 521 career home runs and missed essentially 5 seasons (all of 43, 44, and 45) and large parts of 1952/53 (43 games combined). If he averaged 40-45 homers/season in those missed seasons he'd be right there, which is something I don't think would be out of the question.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »