Home

Community Shoutback

This is a discussion on Community Shoutback within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Community Shoutback

Operation Sports' Erik Westfall has taken some of the best or most unique comments from this week's articles and posted them with some commentary of his own in the inaugural edition of A View From the Outside.

Quote:
So last week we had a number of articles on a broad range of games. However, there were also a number of noteworthy comments from our readers that stuck out just as much. This week, we take a step back and highlight some of these comments.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Rookie

NateTeut's Arena

OVR: 3
The reason NHL '94 could show highlights but games like Madden can't is because back then there was no such thing as unique stadiums or players. Every stadium looked the same and every player looked more or less the same. All they had to do was swap out a Sabres logo for a Kings logo and voila....you've moved from Buffalo to The Forum. Change the jersey colors from blue to black and you've changed the teams, too.

Nowadays, you'd have to load in the stadiums (which is the big time-killer)...not to mention jerseys, player faces, player models, etc. So, although it'd be cool, I don't see that happening again.....though score updates and stats on a scoreboard should be totally do-able.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 14
NFL2k5 did it on XBOX. I think future versions of MLB The Show will have it - it looks like thats the direction with the replay vault
Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: A View From the Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTeut
The reason NHL '94 could show highlights but games like Madden can't is because back then there was no such thing as unique stadiums or players. Every stadium looked the same and every player looked more or less the same. All they had to do was swap out a Sabres logo for a Kings logo and voila....you've moved from Buffalo to The Forum. Change the jersey colors from blue to black and you've changed the teams, too.

Nowadays, you'd have to load in the stadiums (which is the big time-killer)...not to mention jerseys, player faces, player models, etc. So, although it'd be cool, I don't see that happening again.....though score updates and stats on a scoreboard should be totally do-able.
Wow, I think you are really underestimating the power of the modern consoles.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: A View From the Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Wow, I think you are really underestimating the power of the modern consoles.
Exactly

This isn't Sega or Super Nintendo anymore. These machines have plenty of power to do the things mentioned.

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Rookie

NateTeut's Arena

OVR: 3
I have to totally disagree. It's not out of the question I'm wrong, but think about loading into games back in '94. You pretty much pressed Start and went straight into the game. Today, load times of 30-45 seconds or more aren't uncommon in ANY PS3 game. It's because although the machines do indeed have plenty of power, they're also loading in stadiums/arenas that are immense. Hence the long load.

So, to do an in-game highlight, you'd hafta spend 30 seconds loading in the highlight stadium, then another 30 seconds loading it out and bringing the current game stadium back in. I think it's much tougher to do than you think, or else I'm sure games would've done it by now.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: Community Shoutback

Quote:
I have to totally disagree. It's not out of the question I'm wrong, but think about loading into games back in '94. You pretty much pressed Start and went straight into the game. Today, load times of 30-45 seconds or more aren't uncommon in ANY PS3 game. It's because although the machines do indeed have plenty of power, they're also loading in stadiums/arenas that are immense. Hence the long load.

So, to do an in-game highlight, you'd hafta spend 30 seconds loading in the highlight stadium, then another 30 seconds loading it out and bringing the current game stadium back in. I think it's much tougher to do than you think, or else I'm sure games would've done it by now.
Didn't the creators of Tony Hawk basically figure out how to mask the loading while remaining in game? I am like 99% sure of this, it would seem that EA could do the same thing in their sports games.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Community Shoutback

Quote:

NBA 2k8 seems to do a pretty good and snappy job of loading the top three plays and highlight reels for every player who played in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »