Home

Through Thick and Thin

This is a discussion on Through Thick and Thin within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Through Thick and Thin

Erik Westfall chimes in today with a take on individual underdog stories in franchise mode. Be sure to give the article a look and chime in with your own stories!

Quote:
"Year in and year out, most of us buy our sports titles and immediately jump into online play or a play now game, something to get us to the action on the field. Once that primeval instinct is satisfied, we move on to the game’s franchise mode which is where the real fun begins."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
My own story is from my NCAA Football 07 Mississippi State Dynasty on the 360. After randomly naming my rosters, I had a 6'2" Scrambling Quarterback by the name of Vince Bell that split time with my other quarterback for the first year. He was a 76 overall and the pocket passer was an 80, so it was a smart move to do that. However, Bell was a sophomore and the pocket passer was a senior. Needless to say after the first year Bell had progressed to 84 overall due to a successful campaign and offseason. By the time he was a Senior, Bell looked more like Vince Young as he was a 92 overall, had a 90 speed rating and an incredible amount of throw power and more than adequate accuracy. I almost won my first Heisman with the guy, which is something I still have yet to do in NCAA which is a huge suprise to me to this day. So my backup QB became a Vince Young clone after 3 years, it was amazing and a digital player that I will not soon forget.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
In Baseball Mogul 2009 I have a Yankees franchise and in its second year after missing the playoffs in 2008, I picked up Ryan Spilborghs in a trade with Colorado. It was more of a change of scenery trade for a young prospect with a bad attitude that I traded away and in return received Spilborghs with an 84 rating and minimal production in his short profession career.

In that year he played 100 games for me and batted over .300 with 13 Homers and 56 RBIs, earning his way into the 2 hole. I play a lot of pitch by pitch mode and he would always appear to come through with clutch hits with guys in scoring position. In the playoffs he had a bunch of hits and had a monster home run in game 5 of the ALDS off of Livan Hernandez of the Twins. Now I make it a point to grab him up at the start of every one of my franchises just because I enjoy developing him into a star.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7
Madden '04 and '05, Anthony Thomas on the Bears. I wanted him to do well so badly. I would always use the mini-camps on him.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7
This article made me recall a 2 star player im my maryland dynasty on ncaa 08. My dynasty was in 2015 or something like that and i won the national championship that previous year. I was getting all the 4 and 5 star players, but with recruitiing assist on (yeah i didnt realize it was on, lol) i kept getting this 2 star ATH. he wasnt big but lawd was he fast. att's like 99 speed 97 agil and 95 acc. I had no interrest because i had players on my roster that exceeded that but hell, week after week he was always interested highly. no biggie.. i offered him a scholarship and BAM! he took it without a moment hesitation (he was my first signing that season) .

Well to make a long story short, this guy was my go to jack of all trades. when i was short on a DB, i changed him to one.. and although his atts were not outrageous, he was a solid player. He played all DB positions well and his speed made the return game shine. I always scouted the lower echelon ranks for diamonds in the ruff, but this guy was truly an ATH. he didnt have many picks, but he was always right at the ball. and could really tackle better than my 2 5 star starters!!

i dont know why i gave him a scholarship, but im glad i did. and now he's toasting me in my madden franchise on the 2018 Browns against my ravens!! damn!! lol!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24
I had a few of them.

NBA - Dorell Wright and Dee Brown.
MLB - Lastings Milledge
NFL - Tony Banks
Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Quite a few guys:

Madden 2001 / 2002: Jason Tucker, WR. He was rated horribly (OVR 68 or something), but he played like a (virtual) man-possessed and progressed enough to be my #1 wide receiver at one point.

Madden 2002 - 05: Quincy Carter, QB: I would make it a point to sign Quincy Carter if I didn't have him, because he was the only player I could play QB with on Madden up until 06. I honestly stunk with any other player under center, be it Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Cade McNown, or whoever was available.

NBA Live: Tyronn Lue, G. For whatever reason, I was awesome with Tyronn Lue in NBA Live. I could drop 30+ on an opponent with him regularly.

NBA 2K: Josh Howard, G/F: Especially in NBA2K7, where he had an incredibly easy shooting form to learn. For me he was unstoppable.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Through Thick and Thin

A few guys come to mind from my old Madden PC leagues.

One was Charlie Batch. He wasn't incredible rated (maybe 80 overall) but was pretty easy to trade for, had a decent arm and also had the ability to break the pocket and scramble if needed. In the old BMFL I actually made it to the NFC Championship game with Batch at the helm (I lost to Kobra now of VG Sports fame in Overtime).

In Madden 2002 there was the tandem of Corey Moore and Ian Gold. Both were low rated outside linebackers that had ridiculous speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »