Home

OS Fact or Fiction: EA Won't Buy Us Edition

This is a discussion on OS Fact or Fiction: EA Won't Buy Us Edition within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
MLB 08: The Show is the game all other sports games should model their Franchise Modes on. It is as close to running a Major League Team as most of us will ever get. ESPN NFL 2K5 is still the high water mark in presentation, but The Show is close there too.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: OS Fact or Fiction: EA Won't Buy Us Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
#1 Given the positive feedback for Madden by critics, it is safe to say the franchise is back.
Void: I've only played the demo, so I can't really comment. I've no interest in the Madden series, and the demo did nothing to improve that.

#2 Take-Two will still be listening to buyout offers come next spring.
Fact: Everyone has their price.

#3 Despite the improvements touted for NHL 2K9, it will not even come close to NHL 09.
Fiction: I guess are a few things to be asked about this question, though. What do you mean by "come close". Do you mean in terms of sales/popularity, in terms of overall gameplay, in terms of trying to create a hockey game that plays like hockey?

I certainly don't believe 2k9 will beat out NHL 2009 in terms of popularity. But when it comes down to overall gameplay, the NHL 2k series has beaten the EA NHL series every year since 2k3. 2k8 was heads and tails above what NHL 2008 was. However, it should be noted that I look at it in terms of trying to "simulate" hockey. NHL 2008 was quite clearly an arcade game, while 2k8 tried to go the sim route. Since I'm a sim guy, 2k8 was my game of choice. I had total control over my players, whereas in 2008 I really didn't have nearly enough control.

I expect 2k9 to try to continue the sim aspect, while 2008 follows the arcade aspect. They're really two different games when it comes down to it. I enjoy SIM, others prefer an arcade experience. It's up to the player.

#4 The most important aspect of sports games, above all other aspects, is a career mode of some kind.
Fiction: Without gameplay, career mode means nothing. Gameplay is the most important aspect of any game.
Either you haven't played NHL 08, or your idea of "sim" hockey includes 1000 checks a game and players flying all over the place rather than playing positionally sound and using 1 timers exclusively to score. Saying 2k8 plays a sim game of hockey is prolly the biggest load of bs I keep reading on this site.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

#1 Given the positive feedback for Madden by critics, it is safe to say the franchise is back.

Fiction:When people can play the game without Franchise freezes and online disconnects,the series will be on the right track.The gameplay has some glitches,but those are expected and as long as they are patched,it's all good.The gameplay is better this year though.

#2 Take-Two will still be listening to buyout offers come next spring.

Fiction:I think with them and EA now officially entering strategic talks and the FTC out of the way,I see a deal of some sort hammered out before the end of the year.If Not with EA,with somebody.

#3 Despite the improvements touted for NHL 2K9, it will not even come close to NHL 09.

Fiction:One mans trash is another mans treasure.Hardly fitting for FACT OR FICTION.

#4 The most important aspect of sports games, above all other aspects, is a career mode of some kind.

Fiction:Again,some may feel career mode is vital,others may enjoy a deep online experience.I say include both along with solid gameplay and everybody is happy.That is as long as people play fair and there isn't freezes and disconnects.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Either you haven't played NHL 08, or your idea of "sim" hockey includes 1000 checks a game and players flying all over the place rather than playing positionally sound and using 1 timers exclusively to score. Saying 2k8 plays a sim game of hockey is prolly the biggest load of bs I keep reading on this site.
I've got NHL 2008.

I didn't say NHL 2k8 was perfect, I said it tried to take the simulation route, which it certainly did.

NHL 2009 is looking far, far better than 2008 in terms of trying to play a somewhat realistic game. But NHL 2008 was way, way off. 2k8 attempted, and did very well in a lot of aspects.

Why do people get so defensive? They act as if "sim" or "arcade" is better than the other. They're not. They're preferences. I can see the games for what they are, and I call them like they are. You act as if it's a bad thing to call something "arcade" and that I'm saying something is better because it's "sim". What I said was I prefer something that tries to be a little more sim like. That's my preference.

Last edited by MC Fatigue; 08-24-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBiNeR
"Either you haven't played NHL 08, or your idea of "sim" hockey includes 1000 checks a game and players flying all over the place rather than playing positionally sound and using 1 timers exclusively to score."

Couldn't agree more: NHL08 online is NOT real NHL hockey. Further, EA makes no slider adjustments via patch (aka: doesn't care) to even ATTEMPT to re-balance online hockey realism. It's all about appealing to the unskilled players for recurrent annual sales.
I wouldn't know about online, I'm primarily a sim/franchise guy, and offline for me the game plays pretty sim for the most part, are there still some arcade elements to it? Sure, but for me the AI is leaps and bounds above what 2k has thrown our way for the past few years and to an offline guy, thats the most important thing really.

They did adjust some gameplay elements during one of the 07 patches actually, so you're flat out wrong on that one. Though you're another one of those guys who makes 20 posts about the same thing anyway. We get you, you hate the cheese players.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 17
Fact - Far to few Penalties
Fact - CPU still can't run the ball

other then that I think this is the best Madden in years

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »