Home

Sony Takes Legal Action Against PS3 Security Code Hackers

This is a discussion on Sony Takes Legal Action Against PS3 Security Code Hackers within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sony Takes Legal Action Against PS3 Security Code Hackers

It appears Sony is none too happy with the gamers who hacked the PS3, allowing it to run any type of software on it. They've now filed a lawsuit against the group claiming they have infringed both copyright and committed computer fraud:

Quote:
"Sony has launched legal action against hackers who uncovered and published security codes for the PlayStation 3.

The hack potentially allows anyone to run any software on their machine, including pirated games.

Sony's lawsuit argues that this constitutes copyright infringement and computer fraud.

But George Hotz, one of the hackers at the centre of the controversy, told BBC News that he was "comfortable" the action would not succeed."

It would be naiive to say this hack won't be used for pirated games, but this case does raise interesting questions about how much you own your console after you have bought it.

We'll be keeping an eye on this case to see just how far it might progress.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
I would say on one hand Sony has a case agaist this guy under the law. But on the other hand, I believe people should be able to do what they want with their own game system after they bought. So long as that person ain't selling illegal discs or anything. I think a person should have a right to do what they want with their on PS3 they paid for. But that is just my opinion I guess. But if I was sony then I would do the samething and sue aswell.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
i never thought of it that way...when you "own" or purchase a PS3 do you truly own it? Can you say the same thing about owning a vehicle. If I buy a honda civic or a BMW and I decide to "modify" anything and everything is it my vehicle. I am technically modifying it and cutting corners. Probably not the same as "hacking" but somewhat similar.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »