Home

WIll Next-Gen Finally Deliver on Sports Gaming's Sim Promise?

This is a discussion on WIll Next-Gen Finally Deliver on Sports Gaming's Sim Promise? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 39
I believe we may run into the same problems, especially EA because many of their titles push graphics over gameplay and realism. EA false starts on NBA LIVE proves this and the handling the Fight Night series. Companies like EA need to separate the sim/realism from the arcade because many of the fans want their sport represented as real as possible.
EA is a very stubborn companies that needs to loosen up on it's franchises. It's not the systems as I'm told, it's the production and company visions that keep fans from what they want in a sports game. I can direct you to a Fight Night podcast where a producer told me why something wasn't the game because he felt like it shouldn't be there...( his decision)
Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Rookie

The_Gaming_Disciple's Arena

OVR: 8
After seeing Madden 25 for PS4 I am very persuaded the next generation of sports games aside from 2k will be lacking at best.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0
I guess I'm not understanding the whole vague disappointment trend, maybe it's just the cool thing to not like anything but not say why. I'm hopeful for the new systems. I'm looking forward to Madden 25 on the PS4. The new engines look good. I am not going to hold my breath for 2K to get back into football games, but I'd love to see it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4
I say BS! How come only sports developers struggled with the current gen systems? I have had some of my most enjoyable gaming in 30 years this generation with non sport titles. And like the OP even said Nba2k and the Show proves that good sports games were possible this gen. The football titles in particular struggled from lack of vision and creativity, and maybe even just plain old laziness. No excuse for stripping features away or adding features and abandon them a year later. I'm sure the hardware presented obstacles but C'Mon man, the re-shuffling of the Madden and Live teams shows that there was also a problem with leadership and direction of certain series. Hopefully lessons were learned and next gen will be alot better.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4
P.S. So the current gen hardware is why there is no transaction list in CCM this year too?!? Yeah right lmao
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
Pro

[Icy]'s Arena

OVR: 8
Hardware is more of a limitation for graphics that it is for AI, we have had the same AI since 1st generation consoles or maybe it was even deeper in GM modes than it is right now, as they keep stripping features to just improve graphics and online experience (where the money is right now) on each next gen jump.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 19
personally,
I think this generation of sports games has delivered. Looking back, I can say that I have had no major issues as far as gaming goes.
My games off choice did not disappoint me. The ones game that disappointed me, was the Madden franchise, but even they delivered with Madden 13. not great, but they finally got me to believe in an EA product.
EA's issue with their football franchise has always, and will always be the ability to make games totally customizable. They do not offer enough sliders.
These developers have to strike a balance between sim style and casual style. It is obviously not profitable for console games to cater to a total sim experience, that is why a developer has not delivered on a total sim experience. It has nothing to do with system limitations. IT has to do with cost vs profit. The most profitable is obviously the current development/business model. (the one company that tried the total sim approach did not succeed, The folks that created Backbreaker)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Simply put: No.

The reason? Ironically, lack of competition. Sports and athletes feed on it. It's what drives them to excel, to push their limits, and to aspire for more. Remember Nike's "My Better is Better than Your Better" campaign - it's all about competition.

The sports gaming industry lacks it. One professional football game option. One college football option.One professional baseball game option. One professional hockey game option. One pro golf option. One wrestling game option. No college basketball options. Two MMA-based games. Two soccer games.

The sports gamer is completely exploited. We have no options for games. What's worse, we are stuck on a yearly purchasing cycle simply for roster updates and minimal upgrades and innovations.
Awesome point.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »