Home

Are Online-Requirements for Single Player Modes Good for Gamers? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on Are Online-Requirements for Single Player Modes Good for Gamers? (Roundtable) within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2014, 01:19 AM   #9
Rookie

OSUXUGrad's Arena

OVR: 0
As long-time sports gamer, I'm truly sad that great games such NBA 2K have begun to require an internet connection to access most of the game, including modes that are largely single player. However, to be fair, the modes I care about the most (MyLeague and MyGM) can be be played offline, albeit you have to disable your internet.

In my opinion, the continuing trend of requiring an internet connection to play video games is one of the many battles being fought in the war against "net neutrality." The easiest way to understand the concept of net neutrality is to think of the internet as an open highway. Currently, most internet service providers (or "ISPs) don't restrict access to different types of websites (i.e. shutting down a lane on a highway). Most ISPs don't treat ordinary static websites any different than they do websites such Youtube or Netflix (which use higher bandwidth). Hence, ISPs treat internet usage in a neutral manner.

The goal of ISPs in their war against net neutrality is to treat internet usage less neutral. If they win, ISPs will essentially make internet access into "tiered" product. For example, basic internet (or "Tier 1") will get you low internet usage and access to static websites that don't include high bandwidth whereas "Tier 2" will get you access higher internet usage and websites that include higher bandwidth (i.e. Youtube and online gaming). Think of it as a two-lane highway compared to a four-lane highway; most (logical) people would presume that the four-lane highway is better.

In the end, ISPs want to cash in on the multi-billion dollar gaming industry and it would not surprise me if some developers and publishers are being pressured (or persuaded) by ISPs to continue to require games function only with an internet connection. The idea is that online gaming would be categorized in a higher tier of usage for which ISPs feel justified in charging more money. For game developers/publishers, the benefits of a tiered internet structure include DRM, forcing consumers to purchase games on a yearly basis and potentially making all games digital (reducing overall costs). Unfortunately, the benefits of both ISPs and video game developers/producers go hand in hand...

Ok, rant over lol. Seriously, it makes me sick to my stomach that they are pushing gamers to always be online.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Was a discussion really needed to answer this one?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2
i think that this issue help with people downloading the crack copy
it killing gaming i know a lot of people don t want to hear this but they lose out on million of dollar
what really need to happen is for console need to stop charging pc game online is free when you buy the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0
we gamers have to put our money where our mouths are. if we refuse to buy these games then they will have to untie them from the online requirements. I was considering buying NBA 2K15 for instance but I declined because of the online expectations of 2K. I will live without basketball because I don't want to be beholden to their servers and their horrible connectivity issues.

my 65 dollars to 2K doesn't mean much i know, but were 100,000 gamers, or 500,000 or a million gamers all to make the same decision.... that would make a difference.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
Pro

Philstat's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
Was a discussion really needed to answer this one?
Exactly - end of thread and discussion - please, is this even a legit question.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Pro

Philstat's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by feztonio
we gamers have to put our money where our mouths are. if we refuse to buy these games then they will have to untie them from the online requirements. I was considering buying NBA 2K15 for instance but I declined because of the online expectations of 2K. I will live without basketball because I don't want to be beholden to their servers and their horrible connectivity issues.

my 65 dollars to 2K doesn't mean much i know, but were 100,000 gamers, or 500,000 or a million gamers all to make the same decision.... that would make a difference.
Exactly - this is why I skipped NBA 2K15 this year and will continue to do so until change is brought about.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3
online should not be in any single player mode single player mode should be strictly offline.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3
Horrible Idea, Ive been losing games in Mycareer mode at a high rate, the most frustrating thing is when Im at the end of the game and it just kicks me out to the home screen with the "certain features must be connected to Xbox live, blah blah blah". Theres no good reason for anything other than Online games to be required to be connected to servers, its stupid, the internet isnt reliable enough yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »